Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mac_the_Nice

Conservative Messaging in Film

Good point about the ax handle scene, Jake. For many at the time, that would be an obvious reference to Lester Maddox passing out ax handles to keep his place of business segregated.

A couple of obvious conservative messages from the 1980s, both of which have been discussed here before. In An Officer and a Gentleman Richard Gere finds salvation through military service, which lets us know that the anti-establishment 1960s and early 1970s are dead. It would make an amusing and instructive double feature with Easy Rider.

In the original Ghostbusters the human villain, played by William Atherton, works for the EPA. Remember Bill Murray's crude attack on him, which can't be spelled out here? "Hey, ****less. This man has no ****." Environmental protection = lack of masculinity.

Lester Maddox had been the governor of Georgia and he had this restaurant.

I remember reading about him in Life Magazine during the Civil Rights Movement...

He was a white supremacist who didn't believe in allowing black people to use the same facilities as white people.

I believe these axe handles were to encourage black people to make dining arrangements elsewhere other than at Lester Maddox' restaurant.LOL

Lester had a cute name for the axe handles, that I remember thinking how odd at the time, but I can't repeat it on the website because it's against the rules.

You'll just have to use your imagination.

What? What a minute...that's like saying "liberals" or at any rate "non-conservatives" do not care about family. Or families, plural. Or the concept of  "family".

Where did that come from? How come so-called conservatives think they have some kind of ownership over the idea of families?

I happen to know many people who are not conservative who have a family, or like families, or who watch Family Guy.

I've noticed in the last few years, in both Canada and the States, politicians of all stripes blather on about "families". It's becoming a meaningless catch-word, intended to show  potential voters that the politician is a caring person who supports families.

What annoys me the most is when a politican - and the leaders of all three national political parties in Canada have all done this - talks about how "Canadian families work hard", or "Canadian families need a break..." or whatever. Just insert the word "families" somewhere in the speech.

It's really mindless. For one thing, what about all the Canadian (or American, or whatever) citizens who do not have a family or belong to a family or ever intend to have a family?

Political leaders used to just say "Canadians need a break..." (or whatever). Now they always follow the word "Canadian" with  the word "families" . It's just to make them sound user-friendly or something. And it's bullsh!te.

having a famly dont make you a good person.

who was the guy, dargo?

I assume you're asking about the actor who played the Mollett character in THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, and who I referenced in this thread over a year and a half ago, Rip. 

And so if you are, the actor's name was Ray Teal.

(...and perhaps best remembered, at least by the Boomer generation, as Sheriff Roy Coffee on the TV series "Bonanza")

If you want to see any liberal messages in film, just watch any recent animated movie.  Our children are being brainwashed by Hollywood's left-wing ideology.

As for the man at the drugstore counter in "The Best Years Of Our Lives", watch the scene closely.  The man just makes the point that the USSR, our former ally, is now the enemy.  We gave them all the tools to beat the Nazis and now they have dominated Eastern Europe and are threatening our way of life.

This is  the beginning of the Cold War. Which was to last another 40 years, and with Putin seeming to re-establish the USSR, may be re-emerging.

In the movie, the man merely expresses his opinion, tries to pay his check and leave when Homer assaults him.  The man tries to move his face away from Homer's metal hooks when Dana Andrews vaults the counter and sucker punches him, knocking him into a glass display case.

What ever happened to freedom of speech?

If you want to see any liberal messages in film, just watch any recent animated movie.  Our children are being brainwashed by Hollywood's left-wing ideology.

As for the man at the drugstore counter in "The Best Years Of Our Lives", watch the scene closely.  The man just makes the point that the USSR, our former ally, is now the enemy.  We gave them all the tools to beat the Nazis and now they have dominated Eastern Europe and are threatening our way of life.

This is  the beginning of the Cold War. Which was to last another 40 years, and with Putin seeming to re-establish the USSR, may be re-emerging.

In the movie, the man merely expresses his opinion, tries to pay his check and leave when Homer assaults him.  The man tries to move his face away from Homer's metal hooks when Dana Andrews vaults the counter and sucker punches him, knocking him into a glass display case.

When did other people's children become your children????    

As for freedom of speech;   The makers of those animated movies are doing just that.       You sound like you want to punch them just like Andrews did to Ray Teal in TBYOOL.     The bottom line is that parents decide what films their children see.    That is freedom.  

As it relates to that scene I also felt the Teal character was just against communist but others at this forum have said he was pro-Fascist.  

• Like 1

The bottom line is that parents decide what films their children see.  That is freedom. 

It's not freedom for the kids, if they want to see something mom and dad won't allow. :)

First John, this thought of your's that the latest Hollywood animated movies are somehow pressing liberal messages to the youth of America is something I question. By this, are you saying that messages such as stressing tolerance about other people and other cultures is somehow "liberal" thought, or that messages about movies which stress the empowerment of young girls is somehow "liberal" thought?

Now IF this might be your thought, then I would think such things as that would not fall into any particular political agenda, but instead would into the heading of just "good ol' Americanism".

And speaking of "good ol' Americanism" and the reason I just used that hackneyed old phrase(and primarily uttered by political conservatives) is because THAT was exactly the phrase the Mollett character used to press HIS little agenda while talking to Homer, AND of course the man ALSO used the phrase "that's the sad fact" when he basically told Homer that he lost his hands for nothing and by fighting "for the wrong side".

And speaking of "free speech"...I wonder what would happen to someone who would, and like Mollett did, tell a war veteran to his face that he lost HIS hands, arms, legs in vain because of some thought about our country fighting "the wrong enemy" or maybe "invading the wrong country"? Then AND now! AND, I wonder what YOU'D think of a person who would do that?!

You see sir, yes, perhaps we Americans DO have the right to say what we think and voice our opinions, but sometimes only a real jerk does such things within circumstances and situations where it MIGHT be best for them to keep their trap shut about their own political beliefs, and such as when, and in Mollett's case, one finds themselves sitting next to a disabled war veteran at some Five and Dime's soda counter.

(...bottom line here, sir...YEAH, maybe Homer lost his cool, and YEAH, maybe Fred "sucker punched" the jerk, and YEAH, maybe Mollett's "freedom of speech" were infringed there, BUT to tell ya the truth or at least MY version of "the truth", every damn time I watch Mollett getting clocked by Fred in my favorite movie of all time, I FREAKIN' LOVE IT when that classless blowhard gets punched right in the ol' kisser!!!)

LOL

• Like 2

First John, this thought of your's that the latest Hollywood animated movies are somehow pressing liberal messages to the youth of America is something I question. By this, are you saying that messages such as stressing tolerance about other people and other cultures is somehow "liberal" thought, or that messages about movies which stress the empowerment of young girls is somehow "liberal" thought?

Now IF this might be your thought, then I would think such things as that would not fall into any particular political agenda, but instead would into the heading of just "good ol' Americanism".

And speaking of "good ol' Americanism" and the reason I just used that hackneyed old phrase(and primarily uttered by political conservatives) is because THAT was exactly the phrase the Mollett character used to press HIS little agenda while talking to Homer, AND of course the man ALSO used the phrase "that's the sad fact" when he basically told Homer that he lost his hands for nothing and by fighting "for the wrong side".

And speaking of "free speech"...I wonder what would happen to someone who would, and like Mollett did, tell a war veteran to his face that he lost HIS hands, arms, legs in vain because of some thought about our country fighting "the wrong enemy" or maybe "invading the wrong country"? Then AND now! AND, I wonder what YOU'D think of a person who would do that?!

You see sir, yes, perhaps we Americans DO have the right to say what we think and voice our opinions, but sometimes only a real jerk does such things within circumstances and situations where it MIGHT be best for them to keep their trap shut about their own political beliefs, and such as when, and in Mollett's case, one finds themselves sitting next to a disabled war veteran at some Five and Dime's soda counter.

(...bottom line here, sir...YEAH, maybe Homer lost his cool, and YEAH, maybe Fred "sucker punched" the jerk, and YEAH, maybe Mollett's "freedom of speech" were infringed there, BUT to tell ya the truth or at least MY version of "the truth", every damn time I watch Mollett getting clocked by Fred in my favorite movie of all time, I FREAKIN' LOVE IT when that classless blowhard gets punched right in the ol' kisser!!!)

LOL

John does have a point that many animated films are pushing left-leaning themes,  like diversity,  as well as feminist and environmental themes  (e.g. those penguin movies (and I love those little guys) pushed sustainable fishing etc...).    I just happen to believe those are good things.   But I did advise my wife ask her cousin if it was OK to take her goddaughter to see these films since her cousin was very conservative.    To me that is what one should do with other people's children.

As for getting joy about of watching Mollett getting punched.   Sorry can't agree with that any more than I get joy by watching cities burn because of the current issues people are protesting.    I don't think it is right to condemn one and enjoy the other because one happens to agree with a specific side.     Use of violence is wrong,  unless it is necessary for self protection. 

John does have a point that many animated films are pushing left-leaning themes,  like diversity,  as well as feminist and environmental themes  (e.g. those penguin movies (and I love those little guys) pushed sustainable fishing etc...).    I just happen to believe those are good things.   But I did advise my wife ask her cousin if it was OK to take her goddaughter to see these films since her cousin was very conservative.    To me that is what one should do with other people's children.

Oh yes, but all means, James! Parents SHOULD always have the final say-so in ensuring that their little rugrats are raised to be good little conservatives like them. I mean, one never knows what being subjected to issues like diversity, equal rights for all, AND themes about being eco-friendly might DO to those little impressionable tykes out there, huh!

LOL

As for getting joy about of watching Mollett getting punched.   Sorry can't agree with that any more than I get joy by watching cities burn because of the current issues people are protesting.    I don't think it is right to condemn one and enjoy the other because one happens to agree with a specific side.     Use of violence is wrong,  unless it is necessary for self protection. 

And sorry, and attempt to correlate that scene in TBYOOL with "rioting in the streets" all ya want here kid, but I STILL love watchin' that classless blowhard Mollett getting clocked by Dana Andrews EVERY damn time I watch that flick!

LOL...some more now

(...although I must admit that THAT scene isn't my favorite in my favorite movie of all time...there's just somethin' about the symbolism within that aircraft boneyard scene with Andrews sittin' his butt in that B-17 that probably makes it my favorite, and then probably followed by the scene in Homer's bedroom after Wilma leaves and you see that tear flowing down Homer's face...and THEN followed by............)

Oh yes, but all means, James! Parents SHOULD always have the final say-so in ensuring that their little rugrats are raised to be good little conservatives like them. I mean, one never knows what being subjected to issues like diversity, equal rights for all, AND themes about being eco-friendly might DO to those little impressionable tykes out there, huh!

LOL

And sorry, and attempt to correlate that scene in TBYOOL with "rioting in the streets" all ya want here kid, but I STILL love watchin' that classless blowhard Mollett getting clocked by Dana Andrews EVERY damn time I watch that flick!

LOL...some more now

(...although I must admit that THAT scene isn't my favorite in my favorite movie of all time...there's just somethin' about the symbolism within that aircraft boneyard scene with Andrews sittin' his butt in that B-17 that probably makes it my favorite, and then probably followed by the scene in Homer's bedroom after Wilma leaves and you see that tear flowing down Homer's face...and THEN followed by............)

Well from a 'movie as entertainment' perspective I see your point but from a real human interaction perspective I have little respect for people that lose their cool, as well as their job by acting like an immature jerk.      

Well from a 'movie as entertainment' perspective I see your point but from a real human interaction perspective I have little respect for people that lose their cool, as well as their job by acting like an immature jerk.      

Well then, let me put it to ya this way then...

By the end of that movie, I always seem to have MUCH more "respect" for Fred Derry and Homer than ever do Mr. Mollett! AND, if those characters were real life human beings, then I'd SURE as hell rather hang with Fred and Homer than I would Mr. Mollett.

(...and it ain't just 'cause of Mollett's politics)

• Like 1

(...okay okay...so maybe this IS more a case of ULTRA-"Conservative Massaging in film", but it IS still over there on the Right, ain't IT?!) 

• Like 2