Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mr. ED

Sepiatone

I've always wondered about this show...Maybe Tiki can help.

I don't know if it's allowed now, or has EVER been allowed in my town to have a horse stable in a residential area.

I'm assuming it was OK in the city that WILBUR  supposedly lived in.  I've never seen anybody with a horse living in what in these parts would have been a GARAGE, although there WERE several people with DOGS almost as large, they didn't count.

I'm ALSO assuming Wilbur helpfully distributed the manure among his neighbors who were avid gardeners , lest he be run out of the neighborhood because of the stench!

Just always wondered about that....

AND why...NObody at anytime, has EVER overheard that horse SAY anything!

Sepiatone

I've always wondered about this show...Maybe Tiki can help.

I don't know if it's allowed now, or has EVER been allowed in my town to have a horse stable in a residential area.

I'm assuming it was OK in the city that WILBUR  supposedly lived in.  I've never seen anybody with a horse living in what in these parts would have been a GARAGE, although there WERE several people with DOGS almost as large, they didn't count.

I'm ALSO assuming Wilbur helpfully distributed the manure among his neighbors who were avid gardeners , lest he be run out of the neighborhood because of the stench!

Just always wondered about that....

AND why...NObody at anytime, has EVER overheard that horse SAY anything!

Sepiatone

In this case it's called "Horse Privileges".  Ever town/city has it's own zoning laws, so it depends.

http://www.jsslaw.com/newsletter_details.aspx?id=144

About Wilber can only hear Mr Ed, the horse watches "The Human Whisperer".  :P

Here in Florida, there are many areas zoned for farming and residential - called "rural zoning" (agricultural is different.. no livestock). This allows for residences to have horses or cattle. Florida was (is?) big cattle country and there have always been lots of "real" cowboys here.

I don't suppose there are any restrictions on building a horse stable with an office right next to your primary residence. Unless "mom" says no.

;)

Here in Florida, there are many areas zoned for farming and residential - called "rural zoning" (agricultural is different.. no livestock). This allows for residences to have horses or cattle. Florida was (is?) big cattle country and there have always been lots of "real" cowboys here.

I don't suppose there are any restrictions on building a horse stable with an office right next to your primary residence. Unless "mom" says no.
;)

Here in the south OC in So Cal,  there are residential areas that are zoned for horses.   These are large lot areas with 3 million dollar or more homes with horse trails that lead to the more urban areas as well as zoned regional parks where no cars are allowed.    While there are restrictions since these are very large lots having a horse stable doesn't impact others in the area.  

Their are probably well to do neighborhoods throughout the nation that permit horses, but no other "livestock."  I lived in a restricted subdision once that prohibited all "livestock," but specifically permitted horses.  Each property was 3-5 acres in size.  Nobody ever owned a horse though.  Nearby was one that prohibited pick-up trucks from being parked in front of house or in drive way.  That was before the pick-up craze took over in the South though.

One thing about zoning is that until it is illegal, it's legal.  AND if you were doing it before zoning passed, you are grandfathered in.

There are still some old houses in my current town that have barnes behind them that were used for stables-within one mile of the city center.

;)

Maybe a rodeo in Miami's South Beach would be a big moneymaker.

My first horse spent her entire 30+ years living in residential areas in both NY & MA, once in my own yard which was a joy and burden at the same time. The laws in every instance was: "manuer must be kept 90 feet from any property line" or "50" feet or "100" feet-the idea is the same but the number varied. 

So if you just own enough property, you would be fine keeping a horse or two, or a cow or goat-anything.

One thing about zoning is that until it is illegal, it's legal.  AND if you were doing it before zoning passed, you are grandfathered in.

Exactly.

My upstate NY home started out as rural. My neighbors sold off cornfields and McMansions were built all around me. This is usually the case with these residential stables.

The place my horse stayed in Mass was the same way, but the owner had to have the manuer trucked out-a garden store gladly removed it for her weekly for no charge. I'd ride my pony to the main road and knock at the back door of an Irish restaurant where the employees would feed her carrots.

I loved Mr Ed as a kid and recently revisited it. It was pretty stupid but fun seeing movie star cameos. I also really liked when Wilbur asked Ed to "clean his room" and there was a shot of a smooth cement floor with a saddle, blanket & horse shoes strewn out. No bedding. No p o o p!

Apparently in olden days, some barns were connected to the house to capitalize on animal heat. It's way too dusty & dirty for a drafting office, though a cute idea.

Well, growing up in a Detroit suburb, with Detroit only three miles or so away, it wasn't often( or ever) you'd see anyone keeping horses on their property around here. So, that's why ED struck me as being so odd.  'Round these parts, we had to travel 20 or more miles to Pinkney, or Hell MI. (yep, an actual city by that name!) to go horseback riding, which, due to insurance costs, faded from the list of commonplace activities around here!

Sepiatone

My first horse spent her entire 30+ years living in residential areas in both NY & MA, once in my own yard which was a joy and burden at the same time. The laws in every instance was: "manuer must be kept 90 feet from any property line" or "50" feet or "100" feet-the idea is the same but the number varied. 

So if you just own enough property, you would be fine keeping a horse or two, or a cow or goat-anything.

Exactly.

My upstate NY home started out as rural. My neighbors sold off cornfields and McMansions were built all around me. This is usually the case with these residential stables.

The place my horse stayed in Mass was the same way, but the owner had to have the manuer trucked out-a garden store gladly removed it for her weekly for no charge. I'd ride my pony to the main road and knock at the back door of an Irish restaurant where the employees would feed her carrots.

I loved Mr Ed as a kid and recently revisited it. It was pretty stupid but fun seeing movie star cameos. I also really liked when Wilbur asked Ed to "clean his room" and there was a shot of a smooth cement floor with a saddle, blanket & horse shoes strewn out. No bedding. No p o o p!

Apparently in olden days, some barns were connected to the house to capitalize on animal heat. It's way too dusty & dirty for a drafting office, though a cute idea.

No poop? I would guess that a constipated horse is not a happy horse. Do they sell laxatives for horses?

Hell MI. (yep, an actual city by that name!)

Ohmigod! Hell MI is MrTiki's most anticipated marathon! I think he desires the medal, must have an interesting design. I like Michigan a lot and look forward to it.

No ****? I would guess that a constipated horse is not a happy horse. Do they sell laxatives for horses?

Well, the digestive system of a horse is serious business. Horses cannot vomit, so if they eat anything that upsets their stomache, they could die. You know that old "Keep the horse walking -don't let them lie down!" thing from old movies? That's what was going on. It (founder) was more common then...now there are all sorts of specialty foods & medications to help prevent it.

So yes, they definitely make laxatives for horses-it's imperative to keep the food flowing at all times. Horses are constant browsers/grazers eating FIBER. That makes for a lot of cleaning up p o o p. Cows, goats, rabbits....if you keep animals, you end up learning a lot about the importance of digestion.

What makes the joke of "Ed's room" so funny to a horse person isn't the lack of manuer, but a horse doesn't keep it's saddle in his stall-it's a very expensive item and it kept on a special support rack. Those "non horse mistakes" are way funnier than the dialogue most of the time.

Hell MI. (yep, an actual city by that name!)

Ohmigod! Hell MI is MrTiki's most anticipated marathon! I think he desires the medal, must have an interesting design. I like Michigan a lot and look forward to it.

No ****? I would guess that a constipated horse is not a happy horse. Do they sell laxatives for horses?

Well, the digestive system of a horse is serious business. Horses cannot vomit, so if they eat anything that upsets their stomache, they could die. You know that old "Keep the horse walking -don't let them lie down!" thing from old movies? That's what was going on. It (founder) was more common then...now there are all sorts of specialty foods & medications to help prevent it.

So yes, they definitely make laxatives for horses-it's imperative to keep the food flowing at all times. Horses are constant browsers/grazers eating FIBER. That makes for a lot of cleaning up p o o p. Cows, goats, rabbits....if you keep animals, you end up learning a lot about the importance of digestion.

What makes the joke of "Ed's room" so funny to a horse person isn't the lack of manuer, but a horse doesn't keep it's saddle in his stall-it's a very expensive item and it kept on a special support rack. Those "non horse mistakes" are way funnier than the dialogue most of the time.

So, next time I take a regular laxative and it doesn't work, I'm going for the horse laxative.........and that's not horses***. 

So, next time I take a regular laxative and it doesn't work, I'm going for the horse laxative.........and that's not horses***. 

You must immediately double your intake of fresh vegetables. Well, I take back 'double' since you may only be ingesting two tablespoons of vegetables per week as it is. Eat one to two pounds every day - then LOOK OUT !

:P

You must immediately double your intake of fresh vegetables. Well, I take back 'double' since you may only be ingesting two tablespoons of vegetables per week as it is. Eat one to two pounds every day - then LOOK OUT !

:P

The people who come into proximity with me are the ones who should look out.

The autocensor is originally from Warsaw.

Was thinking that until I saw this post.

Just reminded me of a funny bit on the old "All In The Family" TV show! Archie was laughing at a leaflet "Meathead" had advertising an exhibit of P o l l o c k paintings.  "Meathead" had to explain the difference to him!

By the way....only ONE "L" in "Polack" :P

Back to ED----

Saw a comedian who asked, "Did you ever notice how much MR. ED and JOHNNY CASH sound ALIKE?" (then he did a hilarious impersonation of both!)  "And", he went on..."You never DO see the two in the SAME ROOM at the SAME TIME..... DO you?" :o

Sepiatone

Back to ED----

Saw a comedian who asked, "Did you ever notice how much MR. ED and JOHNNY CASH sound ALIKE?" (then he did a hilarious impersonation of both!)  "And", he went on..."You never DO see the two in the SAME ROOM at the SAME TIME..... DO you?" :o

Sepiatone

Now that's funny right there.. I ain't kiddin' ya.

Hamradio- we had a couple of minis from time to time at my barn. They're kind of like "designer" pets in that they are typically bought on a whim because they are "cute".

This poor guy, Norman, was bought by a non horse person who thought it would be a fun backyard pet. Only, she didn't realize they need their hooves trimmed monthly and Poor Norman had come to us barely able to walk. It took over a year to get him back to health....

SooNnorm.jpg

Definitely the smallest pony I've ever seen!

• Like 1

Hamradio- we had a couple of minis from time to time at my barn. They're kind of like "designer" pets in that they are typically bought on a whim because they are "cute".

This poor guy, Norman, was bought by a non horse person who thought it would be a fun backyard pet. Only, she didn't realize they need their hooves trimmed monthly and Poor Norman had come to us barely able to walk. It took over a year to get him back to health....

SooNnorm.jpg

Definitely the smallest pony I've ever seen!

Y'know...a SMART A S S, like ME would ask....

Which one is WHICH? :lol:

Sepiatone