Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

Lets name films that TCM doesn't show anymore

BYU (yes indeed it's the Brigham Young University Network / Ch. 374 on DirecTv) had been showing Disney movies right and left, TopBilled.  I'd guess approximately 3-4 years ago the BYU Network began airing Disney movies.  I reckon they bought one of those "film packages" from Disney, including the one you like MIRACLE OF THE WHITE STALLIONS.  That was aired several times.  (A non-Disney movie BYU aired many times was "OLIVER!" from 1968.  They must have shown that 5 or 6 times and it had the 'edited for content' blurb as well.  Also aired "JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH" several times as well.  I believe they showed CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG a few times, too.  I now know it's not a Disney movie).  

The last time I turned on BYU (a few weeks ago) I saw another promo for a Kurt Russell Disney movie.  They aired a bunch of those.  If you decide to look at their listings they used to air Disney films at 2 PM Eastern/12 Noon Mountain time along with evening showings occasionally.   

Besides DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE (1959-Color) and MIRACLE OF THE WHITE STALLIONS (1963-Color), BYU aired a bunch of other Disney flicks I recall watching:

SHAGGY DOG, The (1959) b&w

ABSENT MINDED PROFESSOR, The (1961) b&w

SON OF FLUBBER (1963) b&w

THOSE CALLOWAYS (1964)

THAT DARN CAT (1965)

FOLLOW ME, BOYS! (1966)

UGLY DACHSHUND, The (1966)

HAPPIEST MILLIONAIRE, The (1967) [They showed the restored long version, btw].

BLACKBEARD'S GHOST (1968)

HORSE IN THE GRAY FLANNEL SUIT, The (1968)

COMPUTER WORE TENNIS SHOES, The (1970)

BAREFOOT EXECUTIVE, The (1971)

BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS (1971)

WILD COUNTRY, The (1971)

BISCUIT EATER, The (1972)

NOW YOU SEE HIM, NOW YOU DON'T (1972)

SNOWBALL EXPRESS (1972)

STRONGEST MAN IN THE WORLD, The (1975) 

APPLE DUMPLING GANG, The (1975)

NO DEPOSIT, NO RETURN (1976)

SHAGGY D.A., The (1976)

PETE'S DRAGON (1977)

HOT LEAD AND COLD FEET (1978)

CAT FROM OUTER SPACE, The (1979)

Here are some Disney movies that BYU has aired; I can't believe I forgot these.

20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA (1954)

TOBY TYLER, OR 10 WEEKS IN A CIRCUS (1960)

IN SEARCH OF THE CASTAWAYS (1962)

THREE LIVES OF THOMASINA, The (1963)

WORLD'S GREATEST ATHLETE, The (1973)

NIGHT CROSSING (1981-UK)

------------------------------------------------------

NOTES:  Here are some Disney movies I don't recall seeing on BYU:  The 'Witch Mountain' movies, Watcher In The Woods (1980), The Devil and Max Devlin (1981), Tron (1982), $1,000,000 Duck (1971), Candleshoe (1977), Freaky Friday (1977), The Castaway Cowboy (1974) w/James Garner, One Little Indian (1973) w/James Garner, The Bears & I (1974) w/Patrick Wayne, The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band (1968), The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again (1979), The Love Bug (1969), Smith! (1969) w/Glenn Ford, Charley and the Angel (1973), Gus (1976), Superdad (1973), Never A Dull Moment (1968), Lt. Robinson Crusoe, USN (1966), Mary Poppins (1964) and none of the classic animated Disney features. 

► There was also a 1962 Disney film in color about the Vienna Boys Choir that BYU aired, but I don't remember the title as the movie didn't interest me in the least. 

• "The Wild Country" (1971) is very violent for a [G]-rated Disney movie.   

• My favorite bad Disney movie is SUPERDAD.  Joe Flynn mentioned it when he appeared in January 1974 on 'MATCH GAME'.  He acknowledged it was going in to wide release when Gene Rayburn asked him about it and Joe seemed to reply as if he knew it wouldn't last long in theaters.  That said, it's not that bad.  I've no doubt "The Apple Dumpling Gang" (1975) is worse than "Superdad".  It really is not a good movie at all.  It's irritating, the tone shifts too often and the "special effects" are really obvious during the stagecoach-riding scenes.  I was really surprised at how poor it was; I didn't recall "The Apple Dumpling Gang" being all that bad, but I was wrong:  It is!     

• Darren McGavin and Don Knotts, who appeared together in NO DEPOSIT, NO RETURN -and- HOT LEAD AND COLD FEET, died 1 day apart in 2006.

• Wally Cox and Joe Flynn appeared together in THE BAREFOOT EXECUTIVE (1971) and both were deceased by July 20, 1974.  Flynn drowned in his swimming pool July 19, 1974 at 49 while Cox had died of a coronary occlusion on February 15, 1973 at 48.  I dig morbid trivia . . . though I don't know why.  I just do.      

• Like 1

Thanks Mr. Gorman, for the run-down on BYU's broadcast schedule. Very interesting. Maybe some films were not included because they cost more and were in a different pricing range/package-- for instance, I would guess MARY POPPINS would not come cheap since it's one of the top-of-the-line Disney films of the 60s. Other titles, like the WITCH MOUNTAIN and FREAKY FRIDAY movies would contain too much in the way of supernatural elements and more importantly, too much in the way of modern feminism, which to a patriarchal religion like Mormonism, would be unwelcome. 

The film about the Vienna boys choir is called ALMOST ANGELS.

I reckon you're right about the 'WITCH MOUNTAIN' movies and other titles like 'FREAKY FRIDAY'.  Thanks for the title, TB.  I noted it's ALMOST ANGELS.  I'd never have remembered.   

'MARY POPPINS' and 'THE LOVE BUG' are probably part of Disney's "A"-grade package (if they have such a licensing 'thing') and BYU wasn't going to fork out that much $dough$ . . . so Disney's "B" package will do! 

> Maybe Disney has a "C"-grade package even the Mormons avoided!  ONE OF OUR DINOSAURS IS MISSING, THE DEVIL AND MAX DEVLIN, GONE ARE THE DAYES, THE NORTH AVENUE IRREGULARS (which I liked), CHARLEY AND THE ANGEL and (of course) SUPERDAD would no doubt be part of this groovy pack of films!      

• Like 1

DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE may not have been on TCM in the recent past, but the BYU Network has aired it at least 4 times over the past 2 / 2½ years.  I've watched it on BYU and noted at the beginning of the presentation they showed a blurb stating the 'DARBY O'GILL' was 'edited for content'.  Now, since I've never the movie except for its BYU airings I don't know what's been edited.  Maybe it's just 1 line of dialogue or a brief scene the Mormons did not like and were able to 'alter' or cut out in some way?   At least on TCM I'm thinking there won't be an "edited for content" blurb before the movie starts.  That said, it's not like the movie has been buried for years out of circulation and now a "hidden treasure" has been un-earthed to air exclusively on Turner Classic. 

All one had to do was turn to BYU.

Or buy it on dvd...

BYU (yes indeed it's the Brigham Young University Network / Ch. 374 on DirecTv) had been showing Disney movies right and left, TopBilled.  I'd guess approximately 3-4 years ago the BYU Network began airing Disney movies.  I reckon they bought one of those "film packages" from Disney, including the one you like MIRACLE OF THE WHITE STALLIONS.  That was aired several times.  (A non-Disney movie BYU aired many times was "OLIVER!" from 1968.  They must have shown that 5 or 6 times and it had the 'edited for content' blurb as well.  I believe they showed CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG a few times; I don't know if that's a Disney movie or not.  I've never checked). 

Chitty is *Not* a Disney film.  It was theatrically released through U/A.

I reckon you're right about the 'WITCH MOUNTAIN' movies and other titles like 'FREAKY FRIDAY'.  Thanks for the title, TB.  I noted it's ALMOST ANGELS.  I'd never have remembered.   

'MARY POPPINS' and 'THE LOVE BUG' are probably part of Disney's "A"-grade package (if they have such a licensing 'thing') and BYU wasn't going to fork out that much $dough$ . . . so Disney's "B" package will do! 

> Maybe Disney has a "C"-grade package even the Mormons avoided!  ONE OF OUR DINOSAURS IS MISSING, THE DEVIL AND MAX DEVLIN, GONE ARE THE DAYES, THE NORTH AVENUE IRREGULARS (which I liked), CHARLEY AND THE ANGEL and (of course) SUPERDAD would no doubt be part of this groovy pack of films!      

I would love to see more of those rare Disney films being shown on TCM rather than BYU (which I've watched only for some of these films). 

One film I haven't seen TCM show in quite a while is the 1929 version of Show Boat.

Also I'd like to see Feudin', Fussin', and A-Fightin' (1948) again.

I really wish that they could show more classic films from other studios such as Fox.  I sure as heck have trouble finding classic (before 1980) films being shown anywhere besides TCM in their correct aspect ratio and full length. :(

TCM has shown The Godfather before.  And apparently it has shown Death takes a Holiday, though I don't know when it last showed it.

Maybe it's because of the blackface racial overtones that TCM rarely shows Al Jolson's movies

but I know of three which haven't been shown in ages and ages; Go Into Your Dance, Mammy and Wonder Bar. I can understand why Mammy isn't shown but I don't understand why TCM doesn't show the other two. Go Into Your Dance was his only movie with then-wife Ruby Keeler and Wonder Bar also stars Dick Powell, Kay Francis and Ricardo Cortez so it's not really an Al Jolson movie.

Just following up with a few lastshown dates:

@ cteddiesgirl

Show Boat (1929)

2009-04

Feudin', Fussin', and A-Fightin' (1948)

2009-04

@ skimpole

Death takes a Holiday (1934)

2005-12

The Godfather (1972) & The Godfather, Part II (1974)

2006-08

@ midnight08

Go Into Your Dance (1935)

2007-01

Mammy (1930)

no matches

Wonder Bar (1934)

2007-06

Wonderbar is directed by Lloyd Bacon and also stars Kay Francis, Dick Powell, and Guy Kibbee.

Go into Your Dance also starred Ruby Keeler, Glenda Farrell, Barton MacLane, and Phil Regan in a small role.  I too would like to see these films, as they feature other people I follow.

• Like 1

Maybe it's because of the blackface racial overtones that TCM rarely shows Al Jolson's movies

but I know of three which haven't been shown in ages and ages; Go Into Your Dance, Mammy and Wonder Bar. I can understand why Mammy isn't shown but I don't understand why TCM doesn't show the other two. Go Into Your Dance was his only movie with then-wife Ruby Keeler and Wonder Bar also stars Dick Powell, Kay Francis and Ricardo Cortez so it's not really an Al Jolson movie.

All three movies are WB productions and therefore it is safe to assume TCM has fairly easy access, at a reasonable cost, for these movies. 

I would hope TCM wouldn't self-censor these movies because they all contain blackface scenes.    OK I could see being 'shy' (for lack of a better term),  about Mammy.    The title alone is 'out-there',  but Wonder Bar has first rate talent with some fine Busby Berkeley dance numbers  (but one with very racial stereotypes).

@ cteddiesgirl

Show Boat (1929)

2009-04

2009-04

@ skimpole

2005-12

2006-08

@ midnight08

2007-01

Mammy (1930)

no matches

Wonder Bar (1934)

2007-06

Wonderbar is directed by Lloyd Bacon and also stars Kay Francis, Dick Powell, and Guy Kibbee.

Go into Your Dance also starred Ruby Keeler, Glenda Farrell, Barton MacLane, and Phil Regan in a small role.  I too would like to see these films, as they feature other people I follow.

attachicon.gifoptimized-ruby-keeler-al-jolson-1934.jpg

Yea what's up with The Godfather you'd think that would be a staple ;-)

All three movies are WB productions and therefore it is safe to assume TCM has fairly easy access, at a reasonable cost, for these movies. 

I would hope TCM wouldn't self-censor these movies because they all contain blackface scenes.    OK I could see being 'shy' (for lack of a better term),  about Mammy.    The title alone is 'out-there',  but Wonder Bar has first rate talent with some fine Busby Berkeley dance numbers  (but one with very racial stereotypes).

Since, according to Andy, Jolson is very dated (and I agree), I wouldn't think there would be that much demand for Jolson's films.

Since, according to Andy, Jolson is very dated (and I agree), I wouldn't think there would be that much demand for Jolson's films.

I think there's one fan of Jolson left - she's 109 and lives in Powdersville, South Carolina.

• Like 2

I think there's one fan of Jolson left - she's 109 and lives in Powdersville, South Carolina.

Hallelujah I'm a bum actually holds up pretty well.  In other matters, Spirited Away was shown as part of TCM oscars in February 2006.  Canadians didn't get to see it.  Have Americans been able to see it since.

Yea what's up with The Godfather you'd think that would be a staple ;-)

I think AMC has the rights to air it tied up although I DVR'd it off Cinemax a few months ago. Since Sterling Hayden is May SOTM maybe it will pop up then. It's been a while since I looked at that schedule.

It's probably very expensive to lease and probably is restricted to how many showings a rights lessor would get.

@ cteddiesgirl

Show Boat (1929)

2009-04

2009-04

@ skimpole

2005-12

2006-08

@ midnight08

2007-01

Mammy (1930)

no matches

Wonder Bar (1934)

2007-06

attachicon.gifoptimized-ruby-keeler-al-jolson-1934.jpg

Moviecollector, would you be able to know how often TCM has played Star! and Thoroughly Modern Millie?  I'm vaguely interested in watching them and Darling Lili, but I don't have the time to watch all three on Friday, and I was wondering whether it would be likely that the two would come back on TCM.

This is just based on personal memory and no hard data, but I would say in the last handful of years, TCM has aired THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE more times than the other two combined.

Moviecollector, would you be able to know how often TCM has played Star! and Thoroughly Modern Millie?  I'm vaguely interested in watching them and Darling Lili, but I don't have the time to watch all three on Friday, and I was wondering whether it would be likely that the two would come back on TCM.

Hi.  Star! was shown once before on 2011-02.  Thoroughly Modern Millie has already played three times since 2010-02.

Darling Lili was shown 8 times between 2006-08 and 2008-11.

Hallelujah I'm a bum actually holds up pretty well.  In other matters, Spirited Away was shown as part of TCM oscars in February 2006.  Canadians didn't get to see it.  Have Americans been able to see it since.

Spirited Away (2002) was shown 4 times between 2006 and 2007.

The following are some more films that TCM either hasn't shown in over a year or hasn't shown in years.

The titles with the question marks next to them are films that TCM might or might not have ever shown.

- Stolen Hours (1963)

- Harriet Craig (1952)

- The Silver Cord (1932) ?

- The Age of Innocence (1934)

- Magnificent Obsession (1935)

- Back Street (1932) ?

- Back Street (1961) ?

- Imitation of Life (1934)

- Street Angel (1927) ?

- Sunrise (1927) ?

- Seventh Heaven (1927) ?

- State Fair (1933) ?

- Woman In Hiding (1950)

- Sign of the Cross (1932) ?

- Who's that Knocking at My Door? (1968)

- Darling (1965) ?

- Fahrenheit 451 (1966) ?

- Bedknobs and Broomsticks (1971)

- Pollyanna (1960)

- The Parent Trap (1961)

- Oklahoma! (1955)

- Carousel (1956)

- South Pacific (1958)

- Never to Love (1940) ?  

- Gigi (1948)

- The Rose Tattoo (1955)

- Apartment for Peggy (1948) ?

- I Thank a Fool (1962)

- The Sea of Grass (1947)

- Song of Love (1947)

- The Miracle Woman (1931)

- Green Card (1990)

- Baby Boom (1987)

- Anna Christie (1930 - The alternate German-language film version directed by Jacques Feyder, also starring Greta Garbo)

- Inspiration (1931)

- Intermezzo (1939)

- Rich and Famous (1981)

- Summertime (1955)  

- The White Cliffs of Dover (1944)

- Anna and the King of Siam (1947)

- The Color Purple (1985)

- Diamond Head (1963)

• Like 1

Here are some more lastshown dates (since 2003)

@ Classic aficionado

- Stolen Hours (1963)
2011-01

- Harriet Craig (1952)
2014-01

- The Silver Cord (1932) ?
no matches

- The Age of Innocence (1934)
2014-12

- Magnificent Obsession (1935)
2013-01

- Back Street (1932) ?
no matches

- Back Street (1961) ?
2011-09

- Imitation of Life (1934)
2013-02

- Street Angel (1927) ?
2011-02

- Sunrise (1927) ?
2014-11

- Seventh Heaven (1927) ?
no matches

- State Fair (1933) ?
2014-02

- Woman In Hiding (1950)
2012-06

- Sign of the Cross (1932) ?
2007-06

- Who's that Knocking at My Door? (1968)
2014-03

- Darling (1965) ?
2012-03

- Fahrenheit 451 (1966) ?
2010-06

- Bedknobs and Broomsticks (1971)
2009-11

- Pollyanna (1960)
2010-12

- The Parent Trap (1961)
2010-12

- Oklahoma! (1955)
2011-12

- Carousel (1956)
2014-07

- South Pacific (1958)
2011-05

- Never to Love (1940) ?
no matches

- Gigi (1948)
2014-06 - French version

- The Rose Tattoo (1955)
2014-05

- Apartment for Peggy (1948) ?
2013-08

- I Thank a Fool (1962)
2013-01

- Green Card (1990)
2005-02

- Anna Christie (1930 - The alternate German-language film version directed by Jacques Feyder, also starring Greta Garbo)
2015-05 - US
2005-11 - DE

- Inspiration (1931)
2012-03

- Intermezzo (1939)
2010-12 [intermezzo: A Love Story (1939)]

- Rich and Famous (1981)
no matches

- Summertime (1955)
2012-12

- The White Cliffs of Dover (1944)
upcoming, 2015-04, 2015-05