Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ted Turner - WTBS - Propaganda films

JeanneCrain

Back in the early ‘80s (1984) of Ted Turner’s WTBS there were a couple “interesting” films which aired in the early morning hours…they were two parts of a “propaganda” film known as “The Subversion Factor”. Part 1 was titled, “Moles in High Places” and part 2 “The Open Gates of Troy”.

As I recall, an organization known as “The Western Goals Endowment” (a rightwing organization), which included numerous US Senators, including HR Larry ‘Patton’ McDonald of Atlanta - their purpose of the organization through the 2-part feature was to promote democratic ideals while opposing communism/totalitarianism/subversion of government.

The endowment’s agenda was to background check for communistic ties all those in politics, government, military and law enforcement in the United States and database the information/results using, what was new technology of the time, computers.

Oddly, in 1983 a Korean Air Liner (KAL Flight 007)…that’s right “007” from America to South Korea in celebration of the 30th anniversary of the United States-South Korea Mutual Defense Treaty carried Senator Larry McDonald. During the non-stop flight from Anchorage, Alaska to Seoul, South Korea General Anatoly Kornukov of the Soviet Union claimed the airliner entered Soviet airspace and commanded Soviet fighters to shoot down the commercial airliner – killing Senator McDonald.

In the early morning hours I happened to be watching WTBS when it aired “Moles in High Places” – it was such an interesting viewing that I called WTBS requesting more information regarding the film and the Western Goals Endowment organization – much to my surprise the WTBS representative I talked to declined that WTBS even aired the film. As a result, I attempted to call HR Larry McDonald and actually reached his mother who informed me he was dead but provided me the contact information I sought to reach the Endowment organization. The organization, sent me their packet of information, including how I could purchase VHS copies of their propaganda film. Unfortunately, I never purchased the tapes while the organization was affectively "shot-down".

Questions:

Did anyone else happen to see the WTBS airings?

Does anyone recall KAL flight 007 being shot-down by the Soviets – and America’s response?

Would anyone know where I could purchase a copy of this two-part propaganda film?

What are the chances of this posting being eventually “locked” by some sleazy TCM moderator?  :unsure:

What are the chances of this posting being eventually “locked” by some sleazy TCM moderator?

I don't think our moderators are sleazy. Remember we are guests on TCM's website. We should be able to put forth good manners and adhere to message board policies, without attacking people who work for Turner and are simply doing their jobs.

I remember the airplane being shot down. The NSA had audio recordings of the Russian pilot receiving orders to fire on the passenger plane. I seem to recall these recordings being played at the UN assembly by the US Ambassador.

Sleazy is a word I might use for Joe McCarthy or Jack Abramoff.

But not for TCM mods.

The orders are to keep politics off the boards for the sake of peace among the membership. It's hard to keep from discussing, I know - but we have to abide by the decision if we wish to remain in good standing here.

As a parting shot, though - I believe that all compaints about "political posts" come from one particular wing and I'll give you one guess as to why that is.

I don't think our moderators are sleazy. Remember we are guests on TCM's website. We should be able to put forth good manners and adhere to message board policies, without attacking people who work for Turner and are simply doing their jobs.

Censoring the thoughts of guests by "locking" their thread is sleazy - sticks and stones childish moderator mentality - can't we all just be treated like adults around here? lol   :blink:

Censoring the thoughts of guests by "locking" their thread is sleazy - sticks and stones childish moderator mentality - can't we all just be treated like adults around here? lol   :blink:

I think you are misapplying the word sleazy. They are doing their jobs, keeping potentially offensive (and highly disruptive) content off the TCM website. In my view, we should respect it or else not post here.

Guest TCMModerator1

The other thread was locked for multiple (and continuous) violations of the Code of Conduct, which is provided at the bottom of every page on this forums.

Talking about films and their political leanings is fine.  Attacking others for their political views is not.  Purposefully driving threads off topic is also not allowed.

Carry on.

Actually, the Moderators just don't like big angry flaming ARGUMENTS on the threads.

Presenting basic ideas of all kinds is ok, but BIG ARGUMENTS and NAME CALLING is not ok on this message board.

:)

Actually, the Moderators just don't like big angry flaming ARGUMENTS on the threads.

Presenting basic ideas of all kinds is ok, but BIG ARGUMENTS and NAME CALLING is not ok on this message board.

Well, Fred - you do realize that for some people there's no such thing as an "argument" that isn't big.

Censoring the thoughts of guests by "locking" their thread......

Oh, and here's another thing..... there are sinister people on these threads who can make sure it is locked by STARTING ARGUMENTS whenever they see someone post a point of view that they don't like. The quickest way to shut up and censor the poster is by starting a big argument with him, with the knowledge that the Moderators will likely lock the thread.

That is a dirty trick they use and it causes the Moderators to be blamed.

Oh, and here's another thing..... there are sinister people on these threads who can make sure it is locked by STARTING ARGUMENTS whenever they see someone post a point of view that they don't like. The quickest way to shut up and censor the poster is by starting a big argument with him, with the knowledge that the Moderators will likely lock the thread.

But you define "argument" as someone simply stating an opposing opinion.

Perhaps you'd be happier if no responses were allowed?

That is a dirty trick they use and it causes the Moderators to be blamed.

We see it over and over in the history of society where overall good is adversely effected i.e. penalized by the underserving few - at worse as a moderator, I would specifically warn the occasional violators and if they persisted simply remove only their access, not everyone else's by "locking" a conversation - why should everyone be punished by the undesirable acts of a few? 

Most likely, I'd be the worse (or best depending on one's view) moderator in the world and be seemingly always asleep at the wheel - allowing the course of nature to sort it all out in time - believing the word-bullies would eventually be ignored.

Why should it be any other way? 

Why be a sleazy moderator and penalize everyone else's ability to communicate by locking their thread? :unsure:

As a parting shot, though - I believe that all compaints about "political posts" come from one particular wing and I'll give you one guess as to why that is.

Because political posts are the quickest way to destroy whatever civility exists on a message board?

If people here will scream "you ignorant cretin" when somebody prefers George Brent to Ralph Bellamy, can you imagine the war zone that would be created by political arguments?

If you want to debate politics there's /r/politics, Free Republic, Democratic Underground and God knows how many other web sites. Let's keep this board a place movie buffs can discuss movies.

• Like 1

I don't agree with you at all.    This website is owned and operated by a private company.    Those that don't like the rules should avoid the site.   It really is that simple.     Start your own website \ blog.

• Like 3

I don't agree with you at all.    This website is owned and operated by a private company.    Those that don't like the rules should avoid the site.   It really is that simple.     Start your own website \ blog.

Exactly. Turner is paying for the website and the personnel who support it...right?

I believe providing constructive feedback is something a consumer should do. But coming on to the site and attacking Turner's employees and bellyaching about the policies is counter-productive.

• Like 1

But you must agree with me sugar, you have no option, read the rules, in order to maintain social harmony everyone here must think the same and agree upon everything - differences shall become locked from further discussions - "private" company LOL - I carry 300 shares of TWX in my saddlebag cowboy - it's really that simple  :P

But you must agree with me sugar, you have no option, read the rules, in order to maintain social harmony everyone here must think the same and agree upon everything - differences shall become locked from further discussions - "private" company LOL - I carry 300 shares of TWX in my saddlebag cowboy - it's really that simple  :P

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.   The users at this forum disagree all of the time.   That isn't the issue and nowhere in the conduct guidelines does it say otherwise.     But political slugfests are not welcome;  it really is that simple.

• Like 2

Back in the early ‘80s (1984) of Ted Turner’s WTBS there were a couple “interesting” films which aired in the early morning hours…they were two parts of a “propaganda” film known as “The Subversion Factor”. Part 1 was titled, “Moles in High Places” and part 2 “The Open Gates of Troy”.

As I recall, an organization known as “The Western Goals Endowment” (a rightwing organization), which included numerous US Senators, including HR Larry ‘Patton’ McDonald of Atlanta - their purpose of the organization through the 2-part feature was to promote democratic ideals while opposing communism/totalitarianism/subversion of government.

The endowment’s agenda was to background check for communistic ties all those in politics, government, military and law enforcement in the United States and database the information/results using, what was new technology of the time, computers.

Oddly, in 1983 a Korean Air Liner (KAL Flight 007)…that’s right “007” from America to South Korea in celebration of the 30th anniversary of the United States-South Korea Mutual Defense Treaty carried Senator Larry McDonald. During the non-stop flight from Anchorage, Alaska to Seoul, South Korea General Anatoly Kornukov of the Soviet Union claimed the airliner entered Soviet airspace and commanded Soviet fighters to shoot down the commercial airliner – killing Senator McDonald.

In the early morning hours I happened to be watching WTBS when it aired “Moles in High Places” – it was such an interesting viewing that I called WTBS requesting more information regarding the film and the Western Goals Endowment organization – much to my surprise the WTBS representative I talked to declined that WTBS even aired the film. As a result, I attempted to call HR Larry McDonald and actually reached his mother who informed me he was dead but provided me the contact information I sought to reach the Endowment organization. The organization, sent me their packet of information, including how I could purchase VHS copies of their propaganda film. Unfortunately, I never purchased the tapes while the organization was affectively "shot-down".

Questions:

Did anyone else happen to see the WTBS airings?

Does anyone recall KAL flight 007 being shot-down by the Soviets – and America’s response?

Would anyone know where I could purchase a copy of this two-part propaganda film?

What are the chances of this posting being eventually “locked” by some sleazy TCM moderator?  :unsure:

I feel like I am sitting in a front row seat at a movie theater.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.   The users at this forum disagree all of the time.   That isn't the issue and nowhere in the conduct guidelines does it say otherwise.     But political slugfests are not welcome;  it really is that simple.

You must be strung tighter than a bull in a rodeo - loosen-up cowboy - have no idea what "political slugfests" are (samples conveniently omitted) but you can show me your rope tricks anytime…sugar  ;)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings