Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bowery Boys Meet the Monsters

darkblue

Not sure.

It's one with Ellen Corby, who is getting a mini-tribute this afternoon. Every so often there is a Bowery Boys title that Leonard Maltin gives 2.5 stars (if one can put stock in his reviews of the series).

Incidentally, the film that started it all-- DEAD END-- is airing on TCM tomorrow evening.

I'm curious - is this about the cream-of-the-crop in Bowery Boys movies? Or is there a better one?

sat through The Bowery Boys Meet The Monsters and dam well wish I hadn't. found it totally unfunny. a man-eating plant, a gorilla, john dehner and a robot. nothin.

there are certainly much funnier bowery boys movies out there like Mr. Hex with byron foulger and the one where sach's mind winds up in the body of a neanderthal. that one is a riot especially when slip tries to push around sach. :lol:

sat through The Bowery Boys Meet The Monsters and dam well wish I hadn't. found it totally unfunny. a man-eating plant, a gorilla, john dehner and a robot. nothin.

there are certainly much funnier bowery boys movies out there like Mr. Hex with byron foulger and the one where sach's mind winds up in the body of a neanderthal. that one is a riot especially when slip tries to push around sach. :lol:

Both films-- THE BOWERY BOYS MEET THE MONSTERS and MR. HEX-- receive two and a half stars from Maltin. I don't think he gave any title in the long-running series three stars. So apparently these two must be the best of the bunch.

The earlier "Dead End Kid" movies were closer to JD films (but nowhere near that of James Dean), and the later Bowery Boys ones were more comedy team, along the lines of something like Abbott and Costello I would say.

There are some people who prefer Bowery Boys movies that were made in the mid 50s to the earlier ones, but the mid-50s ones are the hardest to find.  The others are generally available on DVD, last time I looked.

I haven't seen this one yet, but recorded it.  It is one of the harder to find ones.

The earlier "Dead End Kid" movies were closer to JD films (but nowhere near that of James Dean), and the later Bowery Boys ones were more comedy team, along the lines of something like Abbott and Costello I would say.

There are some people who prefer Bowery Boys movies that were made in the mid 50s to the earlier ones, but the mid-50s ones are the hardest to find.  The others are generally available on DVD, last time I looked.

I haven't seen this one yet, but recorded it.  It is one of the harder to find ones.

A few years ago, TCM aired one Bowery Boys film every Saturday morning. It took almost a whole year-- 48 weeks, but they eventually made it through the entire series. Soon afterward, the titles were all released on DVD thru the Warners Archives. Since that time, an occasional Bowery Boys film will return to TCM's schedule, but not very often.

A few years ago, TCM aired one Bowery Boys film every Saturday morning. It took almost a whole year-- 48 weeks, but they eventually made it through the entire series. Soon afterward, the titles were all released on DVD thru the Warners Archives. Since that time, an occasional Bowery Boys film will return to TCM's schedule, but not very often.

Cool, it's good to see they are keeping it alive.  It looks like a much better product than the set of 1st generation DVDs I got, which were produced by some fly-by-night off-brand.  Looks like I just missed the WB release.

Cool, it's good to see they are keeping it alive.  It looks like a much better product than the set of 1st generation DVDs I got, which were produced by some fly-by-night off-brand.  Looks like I just missed the WB release.

Surprised TCM hasn't rerun the whole Bowery Boys series. They are about to rerun Bomba, which also cycled through a few years ago. 

I was kind of hoping they would get a few other long-running series from Columbia for Saturday morning, like BLONDIE which I don't think has ever aired on TCM (it did air on the old AMC). 

Surprised TCM hasn't rerun the whole Bowery Boys series. They are about to rerun Bomba, which also cycled through a few years ago. 

I was kind of hoping they would get a few other long-running series from Columbia for Saturday morning, like BLONDIE which I don't think has ever aired on TCM (it did air on the old AMC). 

I'd love to see the old penny singleton-arthur lake blondie films. penny singleton was the voice of jane jetson even as late as 1992's jetsons the movie. incidently jetsons the movie was the last voice work for the great mel blanc.

Blondie would be cool to see.  I could go for the Bowery Boys too, since I missed that series the last time around.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings