Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

And before The Big Clock, be sure to catch Killer's Kiss

slaytonf

Infrequently aired early Kubrick low-budget suspense/thriller.  Not Full Metal Jacket, or A Clockwork Orange, but it's a well-done little movie about a dance-hall girl resisting unwanted advances by her gangster employer, who threatens her and her boxer-boyfriend's well-being.  A noir movie?  Mmm, maybe not, but it's engaging, and your desire to see true love win out is more than superficial.

• Like 1

I'd say it was a noir. The dark themes of sexual obsession, random violence, claustrophobia are all typical noir tropes. Plus the visuals- wonderful black and white cinematography, all those rough looking streets and seedy apartments.

And who can forget the penultimate scene in the manniquin factory? One of my very favourite Kubrick moments.

It could very well be the quintessential New York Noir, from the opening scenes of the old Pennsylvania Station, the decadence of Times Square to the industrial alleys and rooftops of lower Manhattan (now gone forever), it speaks volumes of what can be accomplished in a short film on a shoe string using real locations, and of the talent of Kubric as a director, writter, cinematographer, and editor

I'm just disappointed that they air an interesting and unusual film like that at 7 o'clock in the morning. Same with The Big Clock   - 8:15.

Ok, I get that TCM isn't going to show these kinds of movies on The Essentials or anything. But they could at least broadcast them in the evening instead of first thing in the morning.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings