Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mac_the_Nice

The Original of "Amadeus"

Omigod. Who knew? Some of you did, of course, and here all this time you've been keeping this fabulous gem of literary and musical knowledge all to yourselves. So naughty, some of you! Well, the jig's up, because here it is, originally composed as a drama in verse circa 1830, by Pushkin and then taken up in the late 1890s to the operatic stage by Rimsky-Korsakov.

Fabulous to see how closely Peter Shaffer's script has kept to the original intellectual conflicts, the moral dilemmas invented by Pushkin for his drama. Ever since seeing Amadeus, I've always thought this to be such a brilliant idea for a writer to conceive for a story. One just hopes Mozart, his wife, and Salieri, also Joseph II, then Emperor of Austria would find it every bit as clever . . .

I never knew of the Pushkin thing....

But, I did know the whole "hatred" and "rivalry" thing purported in the movie AMADEUS was a fiction.  It was long my understanding that the two had a sort of "mutual admiration" for each other, although Salieri's feeling about Mozart as composer were more admiration than envy, and Mozart thought Salieri was a pretty competent composer and liked several of his works.

But, it DID make for a good movie!

Sepiatone

Biopics don't usually work, they tend to be either too long or too bumptious about their subject, or both.

But Amadeus is one of those rare biopics that is also a very good movie. I always enjoy it. The sublime music it features doesn't hurt, either.

Biopics don't usually work, they tend to be either too long or too bumptious about their subject, or both.

But Amadeus is one of those rare biopics that is also a very good movie. I always enjoy it. The sublime music it features doesn't hurt, either.

Yes, and all too often, they have a tendency in that bumptiousness (if it be of the idolizing sort) to morph into fanfic. So it's rather refreshing to see what it's like to find a fair amount of objectivity at work in the work, such as it is with this one . . .

But for anyone so pathetically enthralled with the music of the Strauss family as I am, this series can do nothing to deplete that admiration, even if it does deliver shockingly short shrift when it comes to the operas, offering only these sort of pastiches of merely instrumental mock-ups of Fledermaus et al.   And this series is almost not suited to episode bingeing as it could easily keep you at it for 24 hours straight, if not more, what with the six seasons of ten part episodes. You will learn about the Strausses though, warts, cultured moles, and all.