Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In Search of Good BHOWANI JUNCTION Trivia

Palmerin

In his introduction to BHOWANI JUNCTION Mankiewicz repeats yet again (groan!) his worn out chestnut of how movie studios in the 1950s produced a lot of big epics because of their fear of the competition from TV.

This s  c  h  m  -  c  k is coming across as one of those tedious bores who only know one joke, which they keep repeating at every party that they ruin with their tiresome presence.

Are you sure he wrote what he read on the TelePrompTer?  At least he is sharing a fact about the industry at the time, and not some salacious piece of gossip about Ava or Cukor.

This is like the fifth or sixth time that he repeats that uninteresting fig of nothing. Maybe he should have a say on what is written on the teleprompter.

In his introduction to BHOWANI JUNCTION Mankiewicz repeats yet again (groan!) his worn out chestnut of how movie studios in the 1950s produced a lot of big epics because of their fear of the competition from TV.

This s  c  h  m  -  c  k is coming across as one of those tedious bores who only know one joke, which they keep repeating at every party that they ruin with their tiresome presence.

It may be repetitious, and I'm no particular far of Manciewicz, but it's also likely to be true.  In the bland and bubblegum world of blockbuster movies of the 50's, what could be a more obvious way to lure middle America into the theaters than scores of high quality  pieces of cotton candy in glorious technicolor, with singing, dancing, and girls girls girls? Escapism was the order of the day, and escapism is what Hollywood lives to give.

• Like 1

This s  c  h  m  -  c  k is coming across as one of those tedious bores who only know one joke, which they keep repeating at every party that they ruin with their tiresome presence.

You could say the same about Robert Osborne.  Most tedious of all are the "discussions" on The Essentials.

Also, there may be newer viewers who do not know this "old chestnut."  Rather hear Ben than Robert or any of the people on The Essentials.

You have a mute button.  Just mute Ben if you don't like him and unmute when the movie starts.  How hard is that?  Quit whining!!!  Much ado about nothing.  Just mute him.

• Like 1

You have a mute button.  Just mute Ben if you don't like him and unmute when the movie starts.  How hard is that?  Quit whining!!!  Much ado about nothing.  Just mute him.

Exactly...that was my thought, too. Muting the volume would solve the problem (providing the closed-captioning is not turned on). Or the person can turn his head away until the wraparound is over, or else record it and then fast-forward over the hosting segments when watching it later. Voila-- problem(s) solved!

I know very well what the MUTE is for. As for ,,whining'', so many bigots in LIVEJOURNAL called me a troll every time that I expressed a moderately strong opinion that I decided to follow the example of black people regarding the N slur, and I took as a proud badge of honor the user name EMPEROROFTROLLS.

I know very well what the MUTE is for. As for ,,whining'', so many bigots in LIVEJOURNAL called me a troll every time that I expressed a moderately strong opinion that I decided to follow the example of black people regarding the N slur, and I took as a proud badge of honor the user name EMPEROROFTROLLS.

To create an entire thread just for this complaint does looks like whining to me (as well as some others here).   I'm not saying that makes one a troll but it is the type of behavior one often sees from a troll.    

As for Ben;  well I assume he isn't going away anytime soon (most likely he will be featured even more),  so I'm sure there will be more to complain about.

I think BHOWANI JUNCTION is a pretty good movie, but I find it a little difficult to follow, with all the political factions, and other complicated stuff. And they never do say why Eva Gardner is the only female in the entire British military.

She and Stewart Granger make this a fine interesting (although complicated) film.

I've seen about a dozen or so threads started for the purpose of complaining about Ben for some reason or other.

That would be pretty tedious except they never seem to last that long. I think some have been shut down or deleted. No great loss, though - they're always pretty pointless.

What I have trouble understanding is why anyone would think of him as a "tedious bore". (As opposed to a "fascinating" bore, I presume...)

He's just not boring. Dislike him if you will, but "boring" and "tedious" he is not. I've always really liked Ben Mankiewicz and his style on TCM.

I just wish they hadn't sort of made him over a couple of years ago. He used to appear on camera in jeans and a casual shirt, and with that slightly scruffy beard. I liked that look. (And unlike some critics at the time, I did not think he looked like "he'd slept in his clothes" or anything like that. Clean, neat, but relaxed.)

I had the pleasure of meeting Ben Mankiewicz a few years ago. He was extremely pleasant and friendly. We only spoke for a couple of minutes, but I still haven't washed the hand that shook his.  :l

• Like 6

"Think" is the operative word. I have doubts that very much in the way of thinking went into that labelling of Ben.

I can see why some people may not like him (and I do not mean that as a slight against him). We all have people we don't like and people who do not like us. That's life. But it is somewhat irrational for someone to go out of their way and hate a television personality to the point where they have to come on to a website and go on a tirade about it. As we've discussed earlier in the thread, there are ways to take him off your screen or dilute his 'impact' in your life, if he bothers you so much.

• Like 1

I've gone from actively disliking him, to being ...meh. I said Meh! (simpsons reference :rolleyes:

I certainly saw when Robert was out, that a lot of people, name people...can't do what Robert does so effortlessly. Ben was certainly better than most of the guest hosts.  Ben is...Ok. He does seem a bit bored at times, like he is the guy who has been doing these for 20+ years. His intro's are about a minute shorter than Robert's. Not sure why. I just wish someone else would be the main guy when the sad day, hopefully many years from now, when Robert is no longer on the air. But, who? That's the problem.

Most tedious of all are the "discussions" on The Essentials.

If you want to see tedious and boring, wait for the next complaint about TCM showing a film from after 1970, or one with bad language.

• Like 2

But, who? That's the problem.

As I see it, there are three avenues TCM might possibly go down when Robert Osborne calls it a day:

1. They may promote from within and give the primetime gig to Ben Mankiewicz, while bringing aboard another host to do the weekend daytime programming.

2. They may keep Ben Mankiwicz where he is in favor of a more well-known personality, like Alec Baldwin. I for one wouldn't mind this. Say what you will about the man's political beliefs and volatile off-camera personality, but there's no denying his knowledge and love of classic films. And given his regular presence at the TCM Film Festival, I wouldn't be surprised if he's being primed for an increased on-air role.

3. They may keep Ben Mankiewicz where he is in favor of a more experienced film historian/critic, like David Edelstein. Edelstein thoroughly impressed me as a guest host for Robert Osborne on a few occasions. I wouldn't mind if they got him to come back.

• Like 1

I'm old school in that I would like to see the person on the rung below Robert get the position.. as long as they have the capacity - I believe this is Ben.

IMO, Alec Baldwin would make a good host, but I don't believe he would be willing to take Ben's spot in the event Ben moves up to Robert's vacated position. Or heck.. maybe he would - surprise me!

Should Alec (or another) move into Robert's slot in lieu of Ben, I would feel empathy for Ben as if he were ignored.

Then again, maybe Ben is happy where he is and wouldn't be bothered at all should TCM place another in Robert's place. Ben's got a pretty good gig there.

• Like 1