Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FredCDobbs

GUESS WHO?

Here's a clue. This actress was not a leading lady in films; she often played character parts. To my knowledge, she never made any silent films.

Here's a clue. This actress was not a leading lady in films; she often played character parts. To my knowledge, she never made any silent films.

I assume that photo is from a Broadway play and your secret photo file is an old newspaper that reviewed stage plays from the 19-teens. So we would know this woman in sound films and as being a little older than she looks in your photo?

I assume that photo is from a Broadway play and your secret photo file is an old newspaper that reviewed stage plays from the 19-teens. So we would know this woman in sound films and as being a little older than she looks in your photo?

Correct ... and she had a long career in films.

I'd like to hear some other people's opinion about this.

She looks young and attractive in the Broadway photo. No silent films suggests she liked Broaway plays more than making silent films. But if she later started making sound movies, that suggests she had a very good "mid-Atlantic" type voice.

By the time she started making sound films she could have lost her youthful beauty or could have been of an age just above the age of the "romantic interest" character type (maybe in her mid to upper 30s). So she could have been born in the late 1890s, which would make her about 35 years old in 1930, and about 25 years old in a 1920 play.

I know of a character actress from the thirties and forties who never made a silent movie.  Would it be Fay Bainter?

Nope.

This actress worked a lot longer than that.

Marjorie Main ?

Nope, this lady was born before Marjorie Main ... and on a different continent.

• Like 1

Nope, this lady was born before Marjorie Main ... and on a different continent.

gale sondergaard

Excuse my off topic post, but during a search I found this rare photo of Jeanne Eagels. I thought someone might want it.

de_Meyer10.jpg

c.1921 (photographer):Baron de Meyer, Actress Jeanne Eagels wearing a cape of gossamer gold tissue over a dress in tulle with an ostrich ruff, by Cheruit, leaning against a table topped with flowers in a vase.

Here's another one:

de_Meyer19.jpg

• Like 1

gale sondergaard

Nope, she was born before Gale Sondergaard, and on a different continent.

Excuse my off topic post, but during a search I found this rare photo of Jeanne Eagels. I thought someone might want it.

Nice photo(s), Fred. Thanks for sharing!

A few years older than Gladys Cooper ... but you have the right continent of birth.

Not a bad guess, but not as old as Dame May Whitty. This actress worked longer than Dame May Whitty ... in fact, her last appearance was on a tv series in 1980 (as a guest star, not a regular). That suggests she lived to a very ripe old age.

Time to round up the clues.Character actress born in Europe,  before Gladys Cooper (1888) and after Dame May Whitty (1865). Born somewhere probably between 1880-1888. No silent films, very long career, last appearance was as a guest star on a 1980's tv show. Can't tie up computer so hope that helps someone to get this one solved.

Bingo!

Man, that one was difficult.

I want to thank lavenderblue19 for his summary, since that helped me keep the dates of birth straight.

After going through what seems like dozens of names on IMDB and Google Images, I finally hit on a search term which was similar to OLDEST ACTRESSES, or something like that (I don't remember), and I came up with this list, and her name was near the bottom of the list and her dates and country of birth were right, so I tried her in several searches on IMDB and Google Images, and that was her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_centenarians_%28actors,_filmmakers_and_entertainers%29

I've seen this lady in many movies and TV shows, but I never knew her name.

I want to thank lavenderblue19 for his summary, since that helped me keep the dates of birth straight.

After going through what seems like dozens of names on IMDB and Google Images, I finally hit on a search term which was similar to OLDEST ACTRESSES, or something like that (I don't remember), and I came up with this list, and her name was near the bottom of the list and her dates and country of birth were right, so I tried her in several searches on IMDB and Google Images, and that was her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_centenarians_%28actors,_filmmakers_and_entertainers%29

You're Welcome Fred. I'm a woman with 2 grown daughters. LOL- Good research work, I'm away from home staying with a close friend and sharing his computer so couldn't do the research. Glad I could help by recapping the clues Rich gave us. Happy July 4th to you both  :)

Happy 4th to all!

The photo is from 1919, from a play called "Too Many Husbands," written by Somerset Maugham. The gentleman is Fritz Williams.

Ms. Winwood's obituary:

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/06/22/obituaries/estelle-winwood-an-actress-whose-career-began-in-1888.html

Nice job putting all the clues together. I will have another one soon, unless someone else wants to take a turn.

You know.. when you see a face or some features and you are reminded of a certain person but you just can't put your finger on their name...

This was one of those, and as soon as I saw her name in your post I knew it was the face I was thinking of - the features are all there, though partially hidden in the original photo.

Excellent work Fred!

:)