Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FredCDobbs

GUESS WHO?

13 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

No more guesses? 

The man in #1 starred in a TV western series in the 1950's.  He later played Tarzan in some sixties movies.  He was the stepfather of the little girl in the photo.  She would grow up to win two best actress Oscars.

The three men in #5 were comic actors.  Their version of "The Three Musketeers" was a comedy.

#1) Jock Mahoney was Yancy Derringer and his stepdaughter was Sally Fields.

#5) They're obviously the Ritz Brothers and I was just waiting to name them after I got over the headache they always give me. LOL

Yes, Princess.  Sally Field's mother, Margaret Field, was an actress as well.  The boy pictured is Sally's brother Richard Field.  The Ritz brothers, Harry, Al, and Jimmy, came along at a time when the Marx brothers and Three Stooges were popular, and they paled by comparison.  They starred in "The Three Musketeers" with Don Ameche. 

les-trois-louf-quetaires-the-three-musketeers-anne-1939-usa-al-ritz-b7w5rm.jpg 

The thread is open. 

If you have been watching TCM on Saturday mornings for the last few months, you should recognize the actors in these photos.  They starred in westerns, serials, and mystery movies that were shown then.  Can you name them?

Some should be easy, some not so easy.  The first four starred in westerns, the next four in serials, and the last four in mysteries.

1.  Related image 

2.  Image result for Whip Wilson  western actor 

3.  Image result for tom keene  western actor 

4.  Image result for tim holt western actor 

5.  Image result for buster crabbe  flash gordon 

6.  Image result for russell hayden 

7.  Related image 

8.   3SsPSq724xMcex5y9wUe1VZ3MeQ.jpg  

9.  Image result for george sanders  the falcon 

10.  Image result for tom conway  the falcon 

11.  Image result for warren william  perry mason 

12.  Image result for donald woods  perry mason 

Princess, you are correct with George Sanders, his brother Tom Conway, Warren William, and Buster Crabbe.  #8 is not Allan "Rocky" Lane.  This actor is the most unknown of the group.  He starred in a 30's serial as an airplane pilot battling smugglers in South America.  Noah Beery Jr. played his sidekick and mechanic.

Shutoo is correct with Donald Woods.  He took over the role of Perry Mason from Warren William in "The Case Of The Stuttering Bishop".

Apparently, not many here have been watching TCM on Saturday mornings.  It's a shame, because they have missed some real fast paced entertainment.

#1 was billed as "The Singing Cowboy" at Warner Bros. in the thirties, but he was in many other movies, including "The Petrified Forest".

#2 came along at the tail end of the "B" movie westerns.  He was cast because he bore a resemblance to Buck Jones, who had perished in the Cocoanut Grove fire.  He had the same gimmick as Lash LaRue, subduing bad guys with a whip.

#3 had his own western movie series from the early thirties until the early forties.  He was afraid of being typecast, so he changed his name to Richard Powers and appeared in all sorts of movies, like "San Quentin" and "Crossfire".  In the fifties he appeared in many TV shows.

#4 is very well known.  He had a long series of western movies, but he appeared in many other types of films, including "Hitler's Children" and "Stella Dallas".

#6 was the first "Lucky Jenkins" in the Hopalong Cassidy movies.  He is the star of the serial that is currently running on Saturdays on TCM.

#7 starred in a serial as a crime fighting magician.  It was based on a popular comic strip of the day. 

12 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

#1 was billed as "The Singing Cowboy" at Warner Bros. in the thirties, but he was in many other movies, including "The Petrified Forest".

Dick Foran?

Very good, Lavender.  That leaves only #2 and #8.  They both are very much unknown today.  #2 is Whip Wilson.  He made a bunch of westerns from the mid-1940's until the early 1950's.  #8 is Clark Williams, who starred in "Tailspin Tommy In The Great Air Mystery", a serial shown on TCM a few months ago.

Princess and Lavender don't post photos, so I'll leave the thread to Shutoo or Det. Jim McLeod.

I'll give my hat photos a vacation...and head to the beach: (where there are 2 or more actors in photo, name all) I've got a bunch of these, but will start with these ten:

1. A very young Bette Davis

2. Marlene Dietrich and daughter Maria Reiner on the beach in 1928.

3. Frances Dee and husband Joel McCrea romping on the beach.

4. Lizabeth SCOTT '40-50 (29 Septembre 1922)

5. 2c3927a384c502ff3a4207b8a8cce994.jpg

6. Rita Moreno Swimsuit Poster Art Pinup Girl Photo Artwork 11x14 16x20 or 20x24

7. Ava Gardner carrying Burt Lancaster on her back -- strong lady.

8. Bob Mathias with Debbie Reynolds and Celeste Holm

9. Evelyn Ankers

10. Harold Lloyd Having Some Fun Times with His Great Dane 8 x 10 Inch Photo | Collectibles, Photographic Images, Contemporary (1940-Now) | eBay!

Everyone's perfect so far! Only 10. left---playing with a giant dog is one of his tamest stunts...

20 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Could #10 be Harry Houdini?

no...this fellow is known for his film work..strictly movie magic

On 6/3/2019 at 6:57 PM, shutoo said:

10. Harold Lloyd Having Some Fun Times with His Great Dane 8 x 10 Inch Photo | Collectibles, Photographic Images, Contemporary (1940-Now) | eBay!

I think if that guy were wearing glasses he would be easier to identify.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

With a clue like that, it must be Harold Lloyd.

even without a clue like that, it must be. Princess of Tap and Lavenderblue both got 4 correct, so they can share the 'champion's beach umbrella'  Related image

MilesArcher..thread's yours if you like!

• Thanks 1

Like Harold Lloyd, many celebrities liked to be photographed with animals, sometimes their own, sometimes not.  Can you name the famous folks in these photos

1.  Oh my.  I haven't seen this guy in a while.

Image result for vintage movie stars with their pets 

2.  I think that this gal was blonde in only one movie.

3.  This actress worked with the little guy in a picture.  She got to take him home.

Image result for audrey hepburn with a fawn 

4.  I think we have a backseat driver here.

5.  This fellow used his own dog in a movie.

Image result for Humphrey bogart and dog 

6.  This lady did the same, using her own dog in a movie.

Image result for eleanor powell with her dog button 

7.  Perhaps you would recognize this lady if she was wearing a green suit.

Image result for tippi hedren and lion 

8.  This couple's favorite musical group may have been Three Dog Night.

9.  Who is this beautiful actress?  She was often blonde.  Did you notice the price of the magazine?

10.  No, it's not a hand puppet.  Who is the pretty lady?