Find results in...
FredCDobbs

GUESS WHO?

1) Edward Everett Horton

2) Rita Hayworth

3) Audrey Hepburn

6) Eleanor Powell

They all have one thing in common.

All of them have appeared with Fred Astaire in his musicals and have shown that they can dance a little bit themselves.

You are correct, Princess.  However, there is no commonality for all ten photos other than stars posing with animals.  Audrey Hepburn worked with that fawn in a movie called "Green Mansions".  The animal handler on the set thought that it might be a good idea for Audrey to take the fawn home with her for a while so the two of them could get used to being around each other.  She named the little fellow Pippin.

Eleanor Powell used her own dog, Buttons, for a dance number in "Lady Be Good".  Here it is:

There are still more photos to be identified.  Any more guesses?

• Thanks 1

Related image  A few pics to ID for the Fourth of July

1. Paula Prentess is ready to light the cannon for her 1962 Forth of July

2. Joan Crawford - c. 1930s

3. My Love Of Old Hollywood: Here's Your 4th of July Firecrackers!

4. Zoe Dell Lantis, Jack Benny and Betty Grable...Happy Fourth of July!                                           the first woman isn't an actress...don't worry if you don't recognize her

5. Esther Williams

d391c027042649895b59f18d08556f34.jpg

7. My Love Of Old Hollywood: Here's Your 4th of July Firecrackers!

8. Elizabeth Taylor - a very vintage 4th of July

9. 46264fc1ced34458f0b2383d4f1eac70.jpg

10. e2deb1f1308b2c6efec2e38fac9ff92d.jpg\

11. Leila Hyams looking patriotic, and even holding two 48-star versions of Old Glory:

12. Ann Rutherford's festive '40s finery. #4thOfJuly Style! Tyranny of Style.

13. Olivia - Sept. 1941

14. d62f1573474011b9ef0a988f2ae45c21.jpg

15. Vera Miles

16. Jayne Mansfield

------

These last two are really tough (in my opinion...) but I thought I'd post them just to see if anyone recognizes them (both worked in the 50's...definitely not leads)

17.  Adelle August

18. Leslye Banning, 1950. Photo by Ed Clark for LIFE.

Shame on me for neglecting this thread.  #9 in my previous post was Carole Landis.

Image result for vintage movie stars with their pets

In this latest post:

#2 - Joan Crawford

#3 - Dawn Wells from Gilligan's Island ?

#5 - Esther Williams

#6 - Joan Blondell

#7 - Gloria DeHaven

#12 - Ann Rutherford ?

#16 - Jayne Mansfield

#4 is dancer Zoe Dell Lantis with Jack Benny and Betty Grable.  I found the picture on pinterest.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Shame on me for neglecting this thread.  #9 in my previous post was Carole Landis.

sorry! I thought all the previous pics were id'd when I posted these.

right on all answers! even Zoe Dell Lantis (who I had to Google..)

19 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

1. Paula Prentiss or Mary Tyler Moore ?? (she reminds me of both) LOL

want to choose one?  here's another pic from the same photo shoot:  Paula Prentiss, 1962

11 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

#9 - Anita Page

#11 - Leila Hyams

#15 - Vera Miles

#18 - Piper Laurie, I think

yes, yes, yes...and no.  I thought 18 looked like Diana Lynn (it's not)...even went to the original (mag) source to double check it...

still left: 10 and 14 (and the really rough ones, 17 and 18)

A little research finds that #18 is credited as being Piper Laurie in several places, but one place says it's an actress named Leslye, later Leslie, Banning.  She made a few movies in the early fifties including "His Kind Of Woman" with Robert Mitchum.  

2234728,ihWR1GSnEjTAMArLQFjey7ivwKETHoutLpU0+6uRGfmc3wmyNLfyky96mlvjyEAAHdZyFRurIgqf1RiDHc2JUg==.jpg 

I also think #1 is Paula Prentiss.

Shutoo, how about a little help with the others?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

A little research finds that #18 is credited as being Piper Laurie in several places, but one place says it's an actress named Leslye, later Leslie, Banning.  She made a few movies in the early fifties including "His Kind Of Woman" with Robert Mitchum.  

yes, it's Leslie Banning.  If you read the pintrest blurb, it states that Piper Laurie and other young actresses were...blah blah blah...in Life Mag...here's a link to that original 1960 Life pic:  https://time.com/3877116/****-girls-cheesecake-photos-of-young-movie-actresses-in-1950/#4

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Paula Prentiss, I thought so, that's why I listed her before Mary.

I know...just thought I'd post another pic

1 hour ago, MilesArcher said:

Shutoo, how about a little help with the others?

10. She was a fairly popular silent star, with lead roles, and as she transitioned into talkies, she received an Oscar nomination (I use the term 'transition' because the film was not silent, but not an all-talkie)  She had smaller parts in films through the late 40's.

14. Take a second look at this lady's face...she was a very big star...worked from silents through the 80's.  I edited the photo to chop off the blurb beneath it, which mentions 'prohibition'..so that gives you an idea of the time (she was in her early 20's)

17. I don't expect anyone to recognize this actress..her roles (tv and film) were small..in fact, the biggest part of her bio may be that she was Miss Washington in the 50's.  The only way she would get top billing would be if it were alphabetical...her initials are A.A.

On 7/6/2019 at 9:17 AM, MilesArcher said:

Is #10 Betty Compson?  

it is, and she's always a toughie...even through her pics of a certain era (20's or 30's) she had a lot of different looks

On 7/6/2019 at 12:00 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

14. Looks like Myrna Loy to me

It's her!  Here's the unedited version of the page--evidently a publicity shoot for the young actress..                          Myrna Loy, prohibited firecracker copy

To finish things off, 17 is....drum roll.....Adelle August!!  She seemed to do more publicity photos than actual film work...here she is at the opening of Disneyland Actress Adelle August plays with the Esmeralda fortune reader.

Thanks LavenderBlue and MilesArcher --- it's impossible to stump you two!

I'll leave the tread open...

Since no one has posted anything, and it's about a thousand degrees outside (I consider anything around 90 to be a thousand degrees...) I thought I'd post some more seaside pics to ID:

1. Paula Prentiss . 1961 . Photo by Allan Grant

2. Vivien Leigh in Australia, c. 1961.

3. Virginia Grey.

4. Charles Laughton And His Wife Elsa Lanchester In Saint Raphael In 1939

5. Photo: Elizabeth Liz Taylor and Roddy Mcdowall Playing on the Beach 1948 : 16x16in

6. Frances in "Ebb Tide"

7. Sleeping Barbara Nichols actress vintage candid art photo

8. Betty Joan Perske (Lauren Bacall) and her mother, Natalie Weinstein-Bacal in 1940 one on right only

9. Carol Hughes, Marie Wilson and June Travis

10. The Last of the WAMPAS Baby Stars â A Look Back To Glamorous Beauty of Mary Carlisle in the 1930s ~ vintage everyday

11. Grace Kelly in To Catch a Thief (1955) - still by Advertising Hitchcock, via Flickr

12. vavavoomrevisited:    Ann Davorak gal pal , Raquel Torres , 1929

13. Ronald Reagan shows Susan Hayward some swim strokes               by mongoII     Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:15 pm               Forum: The People of Film      Topic: *CANDIDS*        Replies: 10616     Views: 167400

14. . Leila Hyams and Myrna Loy. 1920's. I was quite taken with the 'Swim Easy' labels so incorporated it into my own design.

15. Joan Crawford and Doug Fairbanks

2. Vivien Leigh

4. Charles Laughton and Elsa Lanchester

5. Elizabeth Taylor and Roddy McDowall

6. Alexis Smith ?

7. Marilyn Monroe?

8. Gene Tierney ?

13. Ronald Reagan and ?

14. Leila Hyams and Myrna Loy

15. Joan Crawford and Douglas Fairbanks Jr ?

• Like 1

Lavenderblue is off to a great start...

2. is Vivien Leigh

4. is Charles Laughton and Elsa Lanchester

5. is young Liz and Roddy

14. is Leila Hyams and Myrna Loy

15. is Joan Crawford and (then) hubby Douglas Fairbanks Jr

13. is Ronald Reagan...the lady was not one of his leading ladies, but she's an Oscar winner...(and I just realized they were 'by the pool' and not 'by the sea'...oops..)

6. isn't Alexis Smith...hint...this is a film still

7. isn't Monroe, but another 'blonde bombshell' from the same era who, sadly, also died young

8. isn't Gene Tierney, but like Tierney, had a famous hubby

#1: Paula Prentiss and Jim Hutton

#7: Barbara Nichols

#12: lady on left is Ann Dvorak

#13: lady with Reagan looks like Susan Hayward

• Like 1

1.  is Paula Prentiss and Jim Hutton (always thought they were a good pair..)

7. is Barbara Nichols

13. yes, it's Susan Hayward taking robot arm lessons from Reagan

12. yes, it's Ann Dvorak...the other actress had a handful of roles mostly in the 30's, often as the 'exotic, foreign' woman.  I remember her from a film with a zany quartet...and she married the same actor..twice.

#8 is young Lauren Bacall with her mother, Natalie

#9 are, left to right, Carol Hughes, Marie Wilson, and June Travis 

#12  The woman with Ann Dvorak was listed as Mexican actress Raquel Torres, who appeared with the Marx Brothers in "Duck Soup".  She married Jon Hall twice.  

Image result for ann dvorak and raquel torres 

However, it is not Miss Torres.  It's a contract player named Marjorie King and the photo was taken in 1931.  Here's the article:

Year of Ann Dvorak: Day 2

Dvorak-King

When Ann Dvorak was an uncredited chorus girl at MGM, she spent most of her off-time soaking up the sun at the beach. This love affair with the Pacific Ocean would last her entire life, and she ultimately resided in both Malibu and Honolulu.

One sunny day in 1931, MGM photographer Clarence Sinclair Bull accompanied Ann and an0ther contract player to the sandy shores and snapped some publicity shots. Seven decades later one of these photos, provocatively showing the women with their tops pulled down and backs facing the camera was published on a mass produced postcard. While Ann was correctly credited on the postcard, the other gal in the photo was erroneously listed as Raquel Torres. In fact, the other bathing beauty was Marjorie King.

Candid27.jpg

Over the past decade, the photo has made the rounds online, with many appearances through various social network platforms. Unfortunately, most of the time the image is listed as Ann & Raquel instead of Ann & Marjorie. When looking at photos of both women, it’s pretty clear who is sharing the sand with Ann.

00raqueltorresw24

Raquel Torres (Courtesy of the Starlet Showcase blog)

King

Marjorie King (Courtesy of All Star Pics)

Neither Torres or King had much of a career in Hollywood, with both opting for marriage over acting. However, both made a small contribution to pop culture, with Torres memorably appearing  opposite the Marx Brothers in Duck Soup, and King allegedly inspiring the creation of a cocktail known as the Margarita.

CineMundial2.jpg

The photo proved just to be as alluring in 1931 as it was today when it was used on the cover of a South American magazine called Cine-Mundial . This was probably Ann’s appearance as a cover girl. While they spelled her name Devorak, at least they got Marjorie right.

8 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

#8 is young Lauren Bacall with her mother, Natalie

#9 are, left to right, Carol Hughes, Marie Wilson, and June Travis 

#12  The woman with Ann Dvorak was listed as Mexican actress Raquel Torres, who appeared with the Marx Brothers in "Duck Soup".  She married Jon Hall twice.  

perfect...and thanks for all the info on Marjorie King in the photo!  I always try to double check if something looks odd (I've found a few that were mis-labeled) but I wouldn't have caught this...I only know Torres from Duck Soup

still open: 3, 6, 10, 11, and half of 13

9 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

#6 is Frances Farmer

yep..it's a still from the film Ebb Tide (1937)

(11. is a still from a film too...50's)