Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
docterminal

Dark of the Sun is on today! (Sept 1)

I can't believe it! I just happened to scroll through my listings and saw this was on today at 4:30 PM. It's listed as Letterbox too. I've been wanting to see this movie for years. I've requested it in the past and hoped Warners would be releasing it on DVD but no luck so far. Thank You TCM for showing this!!

I've read that Martin Scorcese and Quentin Tarantino are fans of this movie. I've heard parts of the soundtrack and it's amazing. The film was directed by the great cinematographer Jack Cardiff(Red Shoes, The African Queen) and stars Rod Taylor Jim Brown and Yvette Mimieux. It's a tough action movie about mercenaries hired to travel into the Congo to rescue refugees and millions in diamonds.

I just wanted to follow up and say how thrilled I was to see this movie. It lived up to and even surpassed my expectations, which hasn't always been the case with movies I've wanted to see for many years. I was really impressed by the performances of Rod Taylor and Jim Brown, the tight pace and tense brutal action of the film and its magnificent score. For anyone out there who didn't get to see it I wish I could say it was airing again soon. This is a great film that deserves a DVD release. When that happens I hope Warner Bros. can involve Mr.Taylor and Mr.Brown because this movie is a real gem. Thanks again TCM!

It's a kick-butt action flick! Sad only that Jim Brown's character goes down poorly from a knife in the back. That irks me. But man its a great 'locomotive train'--based romp as the mercenaries careen into a neighboring country on a train when that nation is under revolution at the time. Just outlandish! A ripping yarn by Wilbur Smith and a director whom is very under-rated, Jack Cardiff. Cardiff and Taylor also did a sweet film about Irish playwright Sean O'Casey.

gMB5NC7J9cmeyJcDMy01zx28tLo.jpg

On 9/1/2005 at 9:29 AM, docterminal said:

I can't believe it! I just happened to scroll through my listings and saw this was on today at 4:30 PM. 

Darn, I missed it. I was still mourning the death of Frank Gorshin, who bought the farm several months earlier in the year.

• Haha 5