Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Is The Most Popular Film Ever Made TODAY?

TomJH

If an international poll could be taken as to what was the most popular film ever made, which one would win?

Due to its ready accessibility, through both television and DVDs, which means that perhaps more people have seen this film than any other, and the fact that it appeals to both children and adults, my pick would be . . .

e5c902d6-7d5b-4243-88ed-6b69cc5c72d8_zps

Can't really think of a close second. 

Anyone think they have a more likely winner than this one?

If an international poll could be taken as to what was the most popular film ever made, which one would win?

Due to its ready accessibility, through both television and DVDs, which means that perhaps more people have seen this film than any other, and the fact that it appeals to both children and adults, my pick would be . . .

Can't really think of a close second. 

Anyone think they have a more likely winner than this one?

If the poll was international I assume the most popular would be some Chinese or India film.

As for most popular film in the USA;  I assume Oz would get the most votes in such a poll but who knows.    It might be Iron Man or Terminator for all I know.    

Far as films period (since you mentioned The Wizard of Oz)

"Star Wars" for sci-fi

"Frankenstein" and "Dracula" (1930's) tie for horror.

"Casablanca" and "Titanic" films again tie for drama.

More recently the Harry Potter series but I don't think it will stand the test of time.

Hello,

Well, I must agree.  I believe this film is just the best of the best.  I've seen it many times, and it still gets to me.  Judy is superb as is everyone else.  

I suppose a close second would be CASABLANCA, and then many runner-ups (Its a wonderful life, treasure sierra madre).

Funny, I remember in the late 1970s, AFI put a show together of the best 100 films of all time.  THe list included "star wars" (!), and "the godfather" (!).  People still remember those as good films, but they don't make the BEST FILM list anymore.

back to WIZARD OF OZ.... it was great last year when the academy did a salute to this film for it's 75 anniversary.... with all the great films that were released in 1939, they chose to honor OZ..., and they made the right choice!  This is my favorite scene ------ It just doesn't get better than that. Movie Magic at its best!

oz.jpg
original lobby card from my personal collection

THE WIZARD OF OZ by a nautical mile over anything else. 

You really know how Oz would poll in countries like India and China?    

To me it looks like no one read the original post.   The question isn't what is your favorite film.   The question was in an international poll what film would win the poll.    Yea,  international poll  (not sure Tom really meant to say that but he did).

Of course the results also depends on who is allowed to vote.  E.g. can children vote?     The poor in China and India that don't have a TV set?   etc.....

Either way,  the OP question is asking each of us to guess how others would vote in such a poll.    So in this way it is kind of a silly question.

But I do agree that Oz is the likely winner if the poll was taken in the USA.

Not an endorsement, just some stats:

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

Realistically, I think that Jake's right.  I doubt if enough people alive today have even seen The Wizard of Oz to give it that much of a pull, compared to any number of movies over the past 20 or 30 years.  It's A Wonderful Life, which plays every year on NBC, has probably reached more people by now than the Garland movie, and it's arguably just as beloved.

Now if you restricted the eligible movies to those of the studio era, it'd be another story.  But demographics can be pretty ruthless in cross-generational popularity polls.

With its countless television appearances and DVD and DVD reissue sales over the years, Wizard of Oz is, I supect, perhaps the most viewed film of all time. I can't prove that statement, of course.

But I rather doubt that either Avatar or Titanic, the two films which lead the pack in terms of box office receipts, have been viewed by as many people today. Admittedly, though, when you make this an international poll, such as I did in the OP, that may alter the figures more in favour of the more recently made films as far as viewership is concerned.

I have no doubt that Wizard remains the most popular film of the studio era, and I doubt that any of hits of recent years have overtaken it when it comes to love from its audience.

How many today in China or India have seen it, as opposed to the more recent blockbusters. I don't know. If there's any reason why Wizard may not be the most internationally popular film ever, that may be the explanation. Still, even if, for argument's sake, it hasn't been seen by as many people in those densely populated Asian nations as the Cameron films, is there any indication that either of those more recent films has experienced the same kind of affection from their audiences as Wizard has received?

Titanic, in particular, is even rather fashionable for many now to dismiss as a "chick flick."

Realistically, I think that Jake's right.  I doubt if enough people alive today have even seen The Wizard of Oz to give it that much of a pull, compared to any number of movies over the past 20 or 30 years.  It's A Wonderful Life, which plays every year on NBC, has probably reached more people by now than the Garland movie, and it's arguably just as beloved.

Now if you restricted the eligible movies to those of the studio era, it'd be another story.  But demographics can be pretty ruthless in cross-generational popularity polls.

The point is, "The Wizard of Oz" and "It's a Wonderful Life" has stood the test of time.  Million dollar question is how will modern films (like on Jakes' list)  fair in 30 to 80 years from now?

I remember how "Saturday Night Fever" was so popular during the late 1970's then all the sudden, people hated anything disco within a decade.

The point is, "The Wizard of Oz" and "It's a Wonderful Life" has stood the test of time.  Million dollar question is how will modern films (like on Jakes' list)  fair in 30 to 80 years from now?

I remember how "Saturday Night Fever" was so popular during the late 1970's then all the sudden, people hated anything disco within a decade.

Actually, ham, I think it's fair ball for people to compare Wizard of Oz to the more recent hits since my original question asked what is the most popular film TODAY.

The issue of standing the test of time is another one. In regard to that one, Wizard and it's a Wonderful Life (not to mention Casablanca) will continue to endure long after people have ceased to be quite so dazzled by the special effects of an Avatar, for example (its visuals undoubtedly to be bettered by others in the future).

Actually, ham, I think it's fair ball for people to compare Wizard of Oz to the more recent hits since my original question asked what is the most popular film TODAY.

In that case I say "Batman" is one of the most popular modern films, considering how many times it's been rebooted.

evolution-of-superheroes-6.jpg

You really know how Oz would poll in countries like India and China?    

To me it looks like no one read the original post.   The question isn't what is your favorite film.   The question was in an international poll what film would win the poll.    Yea,  international poll  (not sure Tom really meant to say that but he did).

Of course the results also depends on who is allowed to vote.  E.g. can children vote?     The poor in China and India that don't have a TV set?   etc.....

Either way,  the OP question is asking each of us to guess how others would vote in such a poll.    So in this way it is kind of a silly question.

But I do agree that Oz is the likely winner if the poll was taken in the USA.

..................................and the rest of the world as well.

Okay, but then the original question should have stated that the "poll" was limited to movies that are 50 years old or more.  If that were the case, then it'd probably come down to The Wizard of Oz and It's a Wonderful Life, with maybe Casablanca or My Fair Lady competing for the bronze medal.  And 50 years from now, who knows? 

I am sorry to have to disagree with many here but I doubt that: The Wizard of Oz (1939) would be in top-ten list of popular movies internationally. It has enduring popularity but little exposure compared to many other movies. I am sure that it has been several decades since I have seen it air on television outside of North America. I believe that it is likely that it is very popular internationally among film buffs and critics only and that most common people have not heard of it.

I believe that most popular movie internationally is likely to be either: Star Wars (1977) or: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001). They are both so pervasive that even people who do not watch those types of movies know much of them.

I am sorry to have to disagree with many here but I doubt that: The Wizard of Oz (1939) would be in top-ten list of popular movies internationally. It has enduring popularity but little exposure compared to many other movies. I am sure that it has been several decades since I have seen it air on television outside of North America. I believe that it is likely that it is very popular internationally among film buffs and critics only and that most common people have not heard of it.

I believe that most popular movie internationally is likely to be either: Star Wars (1977) or: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001). They are both so pervasive that even people who do not watch those types of movies know much of them.

Yep. 'Star Wars' would probably be the choice for most popular international movie of all time.

'Sorcerer's Stone' not so much because it's known as 'Philosopher's Stone' most places.

I think surely the film seen by the most humans alive on planet Earth right now by a large margin is FROZEN. Ask anyone you encounter under the age of 21 if they've seen it. If you compare the number of children, teenagers and their parents living now who have seen FROZEN to those who have seen WIZARD OF OZ, FROZEN will completely crush OZ.

I think surely the film seen by the most humans alive on planet Earth right now by a large margin is FROZEN. Ask anyone you encounter under the age of 21 if they've seen it. If you compare the number of children, teenagers and their parents living now who have seen FROZEN to those who have seen WIZARD OF OZ, FROZEN will completely crush OZ.

I, for one, have not seen Frozen. Not that this board of film buffs is representative of the general public, of course, but I would guess my entire bank account that more here have seen Wizard of Oz than Frozen.

Some posters emphasize dollars and cents when discussing this issue, as opposed to popularity (not necessarily one and the same). Oz is a beloved classic. How loved are the other recent blockbusters to the extent that they get repeat viewings?

Star Wars is famous and has been seen by a lot of people. But, just dealing with the first film in the franchise alone, is it loved as a film the way that Oz is? Undoubtedly by some, I suppose, the sci fi crowd, primarily, I suspect. I saw it once and that was quite enough for me. I found it simple minded and rather shallow. But that's just me. But, if I feel that way about it as a film, I'm sure there are others than will, as well.

Wizard of Oz: how many attack that film or make disparaging comments about it, as opposed to, say, Star Wars or Titantic? Not many from my observation. I suspect that the love that a large percentage of viewers feel for Oz might not be shared to the same extent by viewers of some of those other, more recent, mega money making hits.

Just supposition on my part, of course. I can't prove the statement, except for the fact that I do hear and read the occasional snarky comment about some of those other films, and I just don't hear it about Wizard of Oz.

Look, Wizard is legendary enough and loved enough that the Oscars did a tribute to it a few years ago. Not a lot of films get that kind of treatment, particularly for a film that is more than half a century old.

If another question was posed, what film was more influential upon the movies, Wizard of Oz or Star Wars, I would vote for the latter by a country mile. But that isn't the question. The question is one of popularity, another word, I suppose, for love.

The tortured parents constantly hearing "Let It Go" WISH their kids never saw "Frozen". LOL!

I think that something like Oz or Star Wars would be right at the top internationally. I remember seeing something a long time ago where people in a remote village in Africa were being shown wizard of Oz. It most likely the first movie these folks had seen. The whole audience was delighted just by the looks on their faces.

Films like Casablanca & It's a Wonderful Life and the drama therein do not translate as well. That's why the most popular American films are action films. They need no dialogue to convey the plot, such as it is. Hence the constant sequels to the Fast & Furious franchise.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings