Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Hot Spell Thread

NipkowDisc

I have a question, and to further prove my brilliant point I will ask this. anthony quinn is SOTM in april. since I doan look ahead like many others here do, I will bet that Hot Spell is nowhere to be found in the april schedule. be I be right? :D

I have a question, and to further prove my brilliant point I will ask this. anthony quinn is SOTM in april. since I doan look ahead like many others here do, I will bet that Hot Spell is nowhere to be found in the april schedule. be I be right? :D

Paramount doesn't lease this film.    But write to them and see if they will sell it to you.

Paramount doesn't lease this film.    But write to them and see if they will sell it to you.

already have it...

I just wanna see it shown on tcm.

they have no excuse not to be showing it..

ten years ago, tcm was showing it quite regular.

hot spell is a perfect example of tcm not conducting themselves like the great cinemaphiles they claim to be.

there was no reason for them to stop showing such a film as hot spell, yet they did.

why? :)

already have it...

I just wanna see it shown on tcm.

they have no excuse not to be showing it..

ten years ago, tcm was showing it quite regular.

hot spell is a perfect example of tcm not conducting themselves like the great cinemaphiles they claim to be.

there was no reason for them to stop showing such a film as hot spell, yet they did.

why? :)

why cannot tcm ask whoever has leasing rights to hot spell to lease them a print?...

is it too hard? :lol:

I doan mean to say I have the dvd, I doan. I do have a high quality video file tucked away someplace.

lookit them stats on the right. photographed by loyal griggs, the guy who shot shane! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Spell_%28film%29

and tcm doan wanna break out this terrific film? whatta they a-waitin' for?

edna edison's cheese souffle? :huh:

I don't know anything about this movie, but since James is the only one who's replied, besides me, then there doesn't seem to be great interest in this film by anyone but you. And since you have mentioned this movie many, many times I would like to understand why this is so important to you. You have it on DVD already so it can't be that you want to see it. You can watch it every day if you want.

Just curious, that's all.

:)

• Like 2

I don't know anything about this movie, but since James is the only one who's replied, besides me, then there doesn't seem to be great interest in this film by anyone but you. And since you have mentioned this movie many, many times I would like to understand why this is so important to you. You have it on DVD already so it can't be that you want to see it. You can watch it every day if you want.

Just curious, that's all.

because tcm HAD been airing it regularly ten years ago...

and inexplicably stopped.

it's a pretty decent little drama and tcm oughta break it out again.

because tcm HAD been airing it regularly ten years ago...

and inexplicably stopped.

it's a pretty decent little drama and tcm oughta break it out again.

Good answer. For the record, you do not owe anyone a reason about why you like the film. We all have favorite (and very, very favorite) films. I happen to like HOT SPELL a lot, because I'm a Shirley Booth fan and she made so few motion pictures. The ending is truly magnificent and takes my breath away each time I watch it.

It would be nice if others had the chance to see it on TCM or maybe on Retroplex which does show THE MATCHMAKER. 

Interestingly, most of the people commenting on your threads about HOT SPELL are folks who haven't seen it and really have no point of reference into understanding why you like it so much. And probably the reason others do not reply is because they haven't seen it either and to them it's just some random movie title.

Or maybe because you have created multiple threads about it in the past. So keep talking about it, share your love for this excellent film-- but also keep it on this one thread so the whole discussion about HOT SPELL can easily be found by others new to classic film. Just a kind suggestion...

Good answer. For the record, you do not owe anyone a reason about why you like the film. We all have favorite (and very, very favorite) films. I happen to like HOT SPELL a lot, because I'm a Shirley Booth fan and she made so few motion pictures. The ending is truly magnificent and takes my breath away each time I watch it.

It would be nice if others had the chance to see it on TCM or maybe on Retroplex which does show THE MATCHMAKER. 

Interestingly, most of the people commenting on your threads about HOT SPELL are folks who haven't seen it and really have no point of reference into understanding why you like it so much. And probably the reason others do not reply is because they haven't seen it either and to them it's just some random movie title.

Or maybe because you have created multiple threads about it in the past. So keep talking about it, share your love for this excellent film-- but also keep it on this one thread so the whole discussion about HOT SPELL can easily be found by others new to classic film. Just a kind suggestion...

I have seen the film and it is a good film but I'll admit I think it is silly (at best),  to create a thread just to complain that TCM doesn't show one movie,  especially when that person already has a copy of the movie  (so it isn't like they want TCM to show the movie so they can see it).      

I'm hoping TCM does show this soon just to stop the madness.

• Like 1

I have seen the film and it is a good film but I'll admit I think it is silly (at best),  to create a thread just to complain that TCM doesn't show one movie,  especially when that person already has a copy of the movie  (so it isn't like they want TCM to show the movie so they can see).      

Amen!

I have seen the film and it is a good film but I'll admit I think it is silly (at best),  to create a thread just to complain that TCM doesn't show one movie,  especially when that person already has a copy of the movie  (so it isn't like they want TCM to show the movie so they can see).      

I agree the plot is slightly contrived. But Booth does such a sincere job with the material that it is worth seeing. And costars like Anthony Quinn and Shirley MacLaine help, too.

Personally, my favorite Booth picture for Hal Wallis is the one she made with Robert Ryan, ABOUT MRS. LESLIE. It has a contrived storyline, too-- but again, these highly capable actors just elevate it to near-art.

NipkowDisc:  > My VHS of 'HOT SPELL' will beat up your DVD!  :lol:

The reason I bought the tape in the first place was that Leonard Maltin's review cracked me up with the line "Quinn -- not just a pig but a blue-ribbon hog -- cheats on wife Booth, who spouts irritating platitudes like Hazel on speed."  What's not to ♥ about that description?  Since I couldn't rent 'HOT SPELL' anywhere near where I lived I just went on Amazon and bought a NOS copy.  Easy.   

Ever heard of the movie about boiling thread, anyone?  It's called 'HOT SPOOL'!  :blink:

NipkowDisc:  > My VHS of 'HOT SPELL' will beat up your DVD!  :lol:

The reason I bought the tape in the first place was that Leonard Maltin's review cracked me up with the line "Quinn -- not just a pig but a blue-ribbon hog -- cheats on wife Booth, who spouts irritating platitudes like Hazel on speed."  What's not to ♥ about that description?  Since I couldn't rent 'HOT SPELL' anywhere near where I lived I just went on Amazon and bought a NOS copy.  Easy.   

Ever heard of the movie about boiling thread, anyone?  It's called 'HOT SPOOL'!  :blink:

well, the video file I have of hot spell is the widescreen vistaVision format. :D

understand, mind you, that I would not be complaining about a film that tcm has never shown before, ten years ago hot spell was being shown here on tcm regularly and then it vanished and it has not been seen since...and it's not just tcm. I have not seen hot spell shown on any other channel either.

it's gone. but why is it gone? why has hot spell disappeared? hell, I doan know. it's just...gone. somebody oughta break out this underrated little film again. imo it's much better than say all fall down. much better than that. this is a film that tcm oughta be showin'. I am someone who feels that tcm's greater obligation is to the vast majority of their viewers and not just a fortunate few who's lifestyles can facilitate travel and pleasure cruising. that ain't me. hell, that ain't alotta people. I think ma joad had it right when she said "we're the people that live. they can't lick us and they can't beat us because we keep a-comin'...we're the people!" we are the majority of film lovers of america and canada and if the great uncounted multitudes of us wanna see hot spell yet again.

well sir....

we oughta be able to see it. it should be re-presented to us....by tcm...the great professed hollywood cinemaphiles.

it is a significant film with shirley booth and a young shirley maclaine. I doan know what the story is with tcm's refusal or inability to show hot spell. they don't have a print? why don't they have a print? hot spell has been gone for too long imo. it oughta be brought back. if tcm can show gertie the dinosaur...

well sir...

can they not get a hold of hot spell and show it?

here's tcm yahooing about a two-day showing of rear window in theaters, rear window??? shown uncounted times in recent years on tcm.
but where the heck is hot spell?

:huh:

I don't disagree with you but there are literally thousands of readily available films that do not appear on TCM for one reason or another.  I list about a dozen a week on the Suggest a Movie list.  Though I suspect it is a bit like praying to God who may simply not be there.

All this campaigning reminds me of the hullabaloo about The Story of Temple Drake. People used to clamor for that movie and TCM finally got the rights to air it. It was alright but not as good as I expected and certainly not anymore naughty than many other pre code movie. Glad I got to see it but I haven't watched it since.

hot spell is even more scarce now than ever. it had been on youtube in like I think eleven parts but now it is gone. what is this? tcm went for a number of years not showing god's little acre and then they brought it back. why not hot spell? it certainly is as good if not better than god's little acre. :huh:

Oh c'mon now, ND! I think by now we've all figured out why you're so hot for "Hot Spell".

That "foxy" Shirley, no not MacLaine...Booth, just always "did somethin'" for ya, right?!

(...and I'll bet it's that "sexy" voice she always had that you REALLY fell for years ago and was just "icing on the cake", now isn't it?!) 

hot spell is even more scarce now than ever. it had been on youtube in like I think eleven parts but now it is gone. what is this? tcm went for a number of years not showing god's little acre and then they brought it back. why not hot spell? it certainly is as good if not better than god's little acre. :huh:

Can one purchase Hot Spell?   If not maybe there are some behind the scene legal issues going on that explain why the film is scarce.

Oh c'mon now, ND! I think by now we've all figured out why you're so hot for "Hot Spell".

That "foxy" Shirley, no not MacLaine...Booth, just always "did somethin'" for ya, right?!

(...and I'll bet it's that "sexy" voice she always had that you REALLY fell for years ago, now isn't it?!) 

LOL.