Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Channel" surfing!

Sepiatone

I got the idea for this while watching that Batman movie(on some other channel) that had HEATH LEDGER in his final film role.  Kind of sad each time I see it.  such potential WASTED!

But, one thing I noticed in his performance was that he seemed to be, going by the voice and body language, "channeling" actor RICHARD DREYFUS.

I also noticed the very talented CHRIS COOPER, as the horse trainer in SEABISCUIT, seemed to be "channeling" ex stunt man turned actor RICHARD FARNSWORTH in his performance.

But, I've never noticed( or probably never THOUGHT to notice) this sort of thing in performances of other actors in "classic" movies.  I'm assuming some of the more observant and astute members of this forum, whom fathomed what the hell I'm talking about, might have probably noticed the same sort of thing in classic '30's and/or '40's movies(and beyond?).

If so, what examples can any of you cite?

Sepiatone

I got the idea for this while watching that Batman movie(on some other channel) that had HEATH LEDGER in his final film role.  Kind of sad each time I see it.  such potential WASTED!

But, one thing I noticed in his performance was that he seemed to be, going by the voice and body language, "channeling" actor RICHARD DREYFUS.

I also noticed the very talented CHRIS COOPER, as the horse trainer in SEABISCUIT, seemed to be "channeling" ex stunt man turned actor RICHARD FARNSWORTH in his performance.

But, I've never noticed( or probably never THOUGHT to notice) this sort of thing in performances of other actors in "classic" movies.  I'm assuming some of the more observant and astute members of this forum, whom fathomed what the hell I'm talking about, might have probably noticed the same sort of thing in classic '30's and/or '40's movies(and beyond?).

If so, what examples can any of you cite?

Sepiatone

I doan know...

jack lemmon = harold lloyd! :D

I doan know...

jack lemmon = harold lloyd! :D

Do me a FAVOR, Nip-------Please cite the example of where you think Jack Lemmon possibly "channeled" Harold Lloyd?

And....puh-LEEZ learn to write D-O-N-'-T inSTEAD of DOAN!  ;)

Sepiatone

Guess some can say the same for Cesar Romero.  Classic actor got reduced to this. ;)

14932-1293.gif

Okay Sepia, then how about, and if I get your basic premise here, Don Adams as Maxwell Smart "channeling" a big star of the '30s, William Powell?

Or, and while the following isn't based in that older era of stars, I've always thought during his formative years Christian Slater MIGHT have watched a whole of Jack Nicholson movies.

(...soooo, it this about what ya had in mind here?)

Okay Sepia, then how about, and if I get your basic premise here, Don Adams as Maxwell Smart "channeling" a big star of the '30s, William Powell?

Or, and while the following isn't based in that older era of stars, I've always thought during his formative years Christian Slater MIGHT have watched a whole of Jack Nicholson movies.

Hah!  I'd like to see ANYBODY channel William Powell.  I don't think it's possible. :)

• Like 1

When I recently saw some reruns of "Peter Gunn," I realized Craig Stevens was channeling Cary Grant.

Noticed that too, have ya Rich?!

But then again, I noticed that as a kid in the early-'60s and when I first saw The Flintstones parody of that program featuring the character "Perry Gunite" and how the voice artist made him sound...

(...yeah, I always was a "precocious" one!) ;)

Hey Dargo,

Have you seen Brain Donors?

I can't remember much about it but I liked the opening sequence with John Turturro literally chasing the ambulance as the Groucho shyster.

No, actually I haven't seen it Bogie, but after your prompting here and then investigating this film at the IMDb website and seeing so many people raving about it there and its comparison to "A Night at the Opera", I'm now very interested in seeing it. Thanks!

Well, what I meant in my case was....Both Ledger and Cooper emulated the vocal and physical inflections of DREYFUS(in Ledger's case) and FARNSWORTH( in Cooper's).  I don't notice anything of the voice or physical action of Powell in Adams' Maxwell Smart.

However, you may be more on track with Slater and Nicholson, although, I've also seen a lot of GEORGE BURNS in much of Slater's approach!  Both in voice and FACIAL tics.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings