cigarjoe

My Favorites:

ED WOOD

LOST WEEKEND

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL

(eh, I'm a theremin player)

PAPER MOON 

O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU?

ANNIE GET YOUR GUN (I'm less enthusiastic of dubbed lead vocals)

I also like:

all Carl Stalling Cartoon soundtracks

anything by Angelo Badalamenti (TWIN PEAKS, CITY OF LOST CHILDREN)

anything by Bernard Herrman (VOYAGE OF SINBAD, TWILIGHT ZONE, JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, etc)

• Like 2

some of my favorites:

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE

JAWS

THE ROAD WARRIOR

BLUE THUNDER

SPACEHUNTER

20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA (SCOTT)

A NIGHT AT THE OPERA

I mean, what other movie runs the musical gamut and gives you selections by Verdi all the way to "Take Me Out To The Ballgame", HUH?! 

(...can't think of another, now can ya?!) ;)

I know by Great Soundtracks you mean music soundtracks but I would like to add one of my favourite plain film soundtracks because of its absence of music and that is The Bridge on the River Kwai.

After some viewings I became aware of the absence of music score for the entire finale - approximately twenty minutes.  And the reason I found this to be such a bold move is because it just wouldn't be done in a modern movie.

In Kwai, we have the entire night time planting on the explosives with nothing but sound effects.  Grant you, we do have the sound of the men singing in the show they are performing in the camp.  But not traditional orchestral score.  No suspense music, nothing.

And no music in the dawn sequence.  And nothing still when the train approaches and the stunning climax where all the story threads and characters come crashing together, the bridge goes up, heroes die, etc.

Only at the very end of the film does Lean bring in his score.  He does the same thing in Lawrence with the taking of Acaba.

It is just something you don't see anymore in our world of wall-to-wall music score.  I was told once by a composer who smothered a gory battle sequence with thundering music that if he had left that sequence devoid of score he probably would have been fired.  Too bad, for I think the score added a 'movie' quality to the battle where just the use of sound effects lent itself to a feeling of realism.

• Like 1

Over the years we have purchased a lot of soundtracks, going all the way back to LP's.  I think Exodus (Ernest Gold) was probably my first. Still have some LP's.

One feature of the sound and soundtracks in pre-1980 or so movies was that they never drowned out the dialogue.  "Soundtracks" from the last 20 years or so are far too loud, as well as the special effects noises.

In the past, the directors made sure that when characters spoke, the music and sound effects were lowered.

• Like 2

This is another one of those subjective threads.  We like the music we like, which often differs from other's due to the variations in individuals tastes.  So, we can only each of us list OUR favorites.  But let's pause and thank the OP for NOT titling this thread, "Best" soundtrack?

So, some of MY favorites are---

IMMORTAL BELOVED  which of course, uses a lot of actual BEETHOVEN music.  ALWAYS a plus in MY book!

OCEAN'S ELEVEN(2001)  David Morse's jazz oriented score is something else!

HARD DAY'S NIGHT/HELP!  'nuff said!

SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS--I'll admit I should have researched who did the soundtrack for some of the movies I might list, I believe Chico Hamilton is responsible for some of this soundtrack, but how much, I don't know---

THE HUSTLER  Another '60's "cool jazz" inspired soundtrack.

THAT THING YOU DO--soundtrack composed in the 1990's nailed the early '60's rock vibe on the HEAD!

Then there's the long glorious list of HARRY WARREN penned soundtracks from the early '30's to about the mid '40's.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

This is another one of those subjective threads.  We like the music we like, which often differs from other's due to the variations in individuals tastes.  So, we can only each of us list OUR favorites.  But let's pause and thank the OP for NOT titling this thread, "Best" soundtrack?

So, some of MY favorites are---

IMMORTAL BELOVED  which of course, uses a lot of actual BEETHOVEN music.  ALWAYS a plus in MY book!

OCEAN'S ELEVEN(2001)  David Morse's jazz oriented score is something else!

HARD DAY'S NIGHT/HELP!  'nuff said!

SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS--I'll admit I should have researched who did the soundtrack for some of the movies I might list, I believe Chico Hamilton is responsible for some of this soundtrack, but how much, I don't know---

THE HUSTLER  Another '60's "cool jazz" inspired soundtrack.

THAT THING YOU DO--soundtrack composed in the 1990's nailed the early '60's rock vibe on the HEAD!

Then there's the long glorious list of HARRY WARREN penned soundtracks from the early '30's to about the mid '40's.

Sepiatone

SUPERFLY, from the late, great Curtis Mayfield

• Like 1

Background moosac from the Raymond Scott Quintett featured in a zillion Bugs Bunny cartoons.

Actually, although the MUSIC was used, it wasn't neccessarily Scott's band playing it!

Good stuff, though.

And, which MIGHT interest DGF (AND you), Scott, by the late '60's and into the VERY early '70's, was doing work for MOTOWN( and developed several electronic keyboards, sort of like MOOG did,) and it was SCOTT and Scott's device providing the "spacy" electronic sound images for the intro to The Supremes' song "Reflections"( and throughout the tune).

Sepiatone

I love many, many soundtrack--are we talking background music or soundtracks of musicals too?

Well, here are the scores I love that I can think of right now that I love the whole score, not just one theme:

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD

STAR WARS - the original trilogy

THE STING

MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING

GONE WITH THE WIND

PINK PANTHER

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S

LOTR

SCHINDLER'S LIST

LAND BEFORE TIME (my childhood) :)

TROUBLE WITH HARRY

FANTASIA (not just because I love all those pieces anyway--it's the way Stokowski edits & conducts the pieces that I love most)

As far as soundtracks of film musicals, here again, here are ones I love that I remember at the moment (there are a TON):

MEET ME IN ST LOUIS

FINIAN'S RAINBOW

pretty much all the classic Disney cartoons (Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio, Alice, etc)

many Disney live action musicals (Mary Poppins, Happiest Millionaire, etc)

LOST HORIZON (the musical--I feel like I'm the only one on earth who likes this)

FIDDLER ON THE ROOF (JW's orchestrations & that opening violin solo make this way better listening than the Broadway cast album)

WIZARD OF OZ

The R&H greats (Oklahoma, etc)

If we count TV movies, R&H CINDERELLA (with Julie Andrews)

ANd I gotta second Tiki Soo's statement about Carl Stalling's music-- I have "Kill the Wabbit" on my iPod and other sundries

I know I'll think of more later and kick myself for missing them but that's ok :)

Gone With The Wind

Patton

Shane

The Searchers

The Ten Commandments

Ben Hur

The Godfather

Doctor Zhivago

Lawrence of Arabia

The Magnificent Seven

Braveheart

Conan the Barbarian

The Alamo 1960

Backdraft

The Song of Bernadette

Papillon

The Sand Pebbles

El Cid

Spartacus

Once Upon a time in the West

The Wizard of Oz

High Noon

The Road Warrior Mad Max II

I'm assuming most of us see NO difference between a soundtrack and a score! 

IF there's a distinct difference, we should clear the air on it before proceeding.

Since I too, am guilty of listing both at the same time, I'll leave it to someone else to deliniate.

Sepiatone

IF there's a distinct difference, we should clear the air on it before proceeding.

Since I too, am guilty of listing both at the same time, I'll leave it to someone else to deliniate.

Sepiatone

From what I understand Sepia, a film's "soundtrack" comprises an array of music from other and previously recorded sources, and whereas a film "score" primarily consists of original compositions.

However, because film scorers have often "borrowed" certain popular and thus recognizable tunes from other and earlier composers(such as in the many cases of film scorers of period movies made in the 1930s and '40s and their inclusion of a Stephen Foster melody to convey a throw-back "down home" feeling), I have to wonder if the difference is really great enough here to make an issue of.

Sepiatone

a pointless deliniation. soundtrack or score, what's the dif? to most the difference is irrelevant. always has been to me. for years jerry goldsmith's star trek: the motion picture score was incomplete and in recent years we now have the complete soundtrack. :D

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings