Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Cyclops

OllieTSB

Set your expectations on Pretty Low and maybe you won't be disappointed. 

I'd seen this film back in the '60s, and hoped for the best.  Plus, after discovering James Craigs' 1940s films, I was looking forward to seeing this effort.

Well...

This is Bert I. Gordon's second film using enlargement-overlays, and this time he's even hiring some makeup artists that might be working in today's Zombie Worlds. 

Gloria Talbott is The Wife, and Lon Chaney Jr puts in a rather perfunctory show.  "It's great to see all of them" is about the best I can say.  The story, fortunately, isn't so awful and it was rather re-invented a few films later with Gordon's AMAZING COLOSSAL MAN. 

I give Gordon a fairly high tolerance because it's an early film-effort in his career.  (I'll skip over that I don't see much improvement in his films even with a couple of decades' of experience.  He definitely kept the pressure on Roger Corman for dulling out a semi-interesting movie poster!)

I'm still beating the DVD prayer-logs for the delivery of AMAZING COLOSSAL MAN on DVD.  We have the sequel, WAR OF, and this first one, THE CYCLOPS.  Where's the middle one?!!

• Like 1

Out of curiosity I had to check out this flick, not sure if I had ever seen it but after a few minutes watching  I realized that, a long, long time ago I had. As a kid it looked neat , but it sure doesn't wear well for me. I am not talking about the low tech special effects which, for the time period (50's)  and with a modest budget, looked pretty good. But the writing and direction (also by Mr B I G) was very amateurish, just a notch above Ed Wood.  I haven't seen either of the two Colossal Man films in a long time, I believe they were a little better than this one, probably not much better but a bit more average for the late 50's sci fi / horror era.

...I haven't seen either of the two Colossal Man films in a long time, I believe they were a little better than this one...

I've recently seen both and I think both would fit the Darwinian definition of "little better".  These three "Mr. B I G" films (great!) matched with ATTACK OF THE FIFTY-FOOT WOMAN should be 'enough said' about giant photo overlays.

However... if you have a chance to snag the DVD of BEGINNING OF THE END (1957, Mr. B I G's first foray, and this time with Peter Graves), you might enjoy the bonus-audio track with Mrs. B I G and Daughter B I G, too.  The 'host' adds nothing to the commentary, but those two are most illuminating, and well worth the 'viewing' time to merely listen to those two's discussions.

Something else that ties CYCLOPS with the two COLOSSAL BEAST films is that the I'vd had this odd feeling the DVD producers forgot about the original AMAZING COLOSSAL and skipped to its sequel, WAR OF...

And the 'leap' from CYCLOPS to WAR OF isn't too far - both are dealing with The Giant-ized Overlay with rather massive facial wounds, stuck in the wilds of Mexico.

Well... Bronson Canyon.  That's close enough, right? 

Both of these two films deal with The Widow searching for her long-lost thought-to-be-dead hubby.  And, not surprisingly, expressing the shrillest of commentaries upon first-sightings. 

BEGINNING OF THE END, I had to  look up that one too. Yup, I saw it (probably several times, long time ago). I believe I saw just about all of these 50's  sci  / monster movies at one time or another. They all got endless play on weekend afternoon/ evening local tv.  Great stuff when you were a kid and some can even play well for an adult.  If I ever get to travel out to the west coast /LA area again I must visit Bronson Canyon (did Charlie take  his stage / acting name from this place?). I find myself always seeing the "Bat Cave" and various road scenes that were filmed there.  What a great place to hang out back in the day, there must have been film crews waiting in line to go and shoot scenes for movies and tv shows.  I am a BIG fan of  the HIGHWAY PATROL tv show, there must be over a dozen episodes that use the roads and show the "cave" as part of the story.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings