Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Janet0312

Question of the Day: Ruby Keeler

27 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

This was the great depression. There was the great divide economically. And in other ways too. 

There were some actors/actresses who the public loved simply because they could relate to them. Not so glamorous but, the average woman could see themselves in that role. I see this today in certain situations.

She was charming and cute. Not everyone was expected to be like Gloria Swanson.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2015 at 2:48 PM, Janet0312 said:

Who the heck did this woman sleep with to obtain a movie career? Gad, she's horrible.

Anyone married to Jolson is probably going to be offered parts. In her defense, for the type of parts she played as a  stage neophyte, she was probably quite adequate.

3 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Anyone married to Jolson is probably going to be offered parts. In her defense, for the type of parts she played as a  stage neophyte, she was probably quite adequate.

For the time and place she was perfect as a flapper.

And her tap dancing is way above average. Often people today really forget or they're just never learned how the United States was in previous eras. Ruby's style of dancing was the norm for her era and she did a wonderful job with it.

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 2:22 PM, ChristineHoard said:

The song "Shanghai Lil" is in my brain now and won't get out. Thanks, Jimmy and Ruby.  :D

No kidding!  The inner songwriter in me came up a lyrical spoof of "Shanghai Lil" a few years ago, and I envisioned Bing Crosby singing it.  Now it's hard to get those words out of my head!  On the plus side, I could be staving off the early effects of Alzheimer's, which is a good thing.B)

9 minutes ago, midwestan said:

No kidding!  The inner songwriter in me came up a lyrical spoof of "Shanghai Lil" a few years ago, and I envisioned Bing Crosby singing it.  Now it's hard to get those words out of my head! 

Sounds like fun! Anything you can share with us?

43 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

Sounds like fun! Anything you can share with us?

OK, sagebrush.  But remember, you asked for it!:D

"I'm runnin' all over this town...

You've got me feelin' like a chump...

As Bette Davis said...

When she turned her head...

'This place is quite a dump!'..."

(poster takes a bow and scurries off stage to avoid projectiles)!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, midwestan said:

OK, sagebrush.  But remember, you asked for it!:D

"I'm runnin' all over this town...

You've got me feelin' like a chump...

As Bette Davis said...

When she turned her head...

'This place is quite a dump!'..."

(poster takes a bow and scurries off stage to avoid projectiles)!

That's clever! :)

• Thanks 1

I agree that Ruby had some of those down to earth qualities that regular people could relate to. She was not an untouchable Queen goddess type like Greta Garbo or someone living on the pampered pedestal high above the regular people. I still loved Garbo though. Ruby never found some aspects of the high life to truly be her and often felt out of place while as a dancer at the speakeasies and while being at them with hubby Al Jolson. After she divorced Al in the early 1940s and retired from showbusiness (until "No no Nanette" in 1969), she married her real true love Jon Homer Lowe and lived a happy family life and had and raised kids for the next 25+ years, just like many non celebrity housewives in the 1940s and 1950s. She still loved starring and dancing in her films in the 1930s, she just didn't care for the speakeasies being the nice girl next door type, in spite of her beginning as a speakeasy dancer since she loved to dance. However, Ruby loved her family life out of the limelight even more.

I have not been able to find many photos of Ruby with Jon Homer Lowe and her kids on the internet, there are alot more photos of Ruby and Jolson. That's how Ruby wanted it, not to be made public. She was happy though according to everything I've read, and everything her kids had ever written about her.

• Like 1

I also loved Ruby in 42nd street with quirky Una Merkel and Ginger Rogers (Anytime Annie, only said no once when not hearing the question. Lol (and it didn't seem that much like Annie liked that being said)). Peggy Sawyer (Ruby) hit it off with Una and Ginger right away, even though some other girls weren't as nice trying to get Ruby to almost walk into the men's room, and then in on Dick Powell changing, who still took an immediate liking to Ruby, which he did the same in each Powell/Ruby film.  Stage director Warner Baxter was one tough, crazy p**** in that film, him driving those stage girls, never stops for breath of air while stomping and yelling "Come on lets go!! Whatsamatta with you!!? Come on!!! Move it!! Move iit!!!". Then Ruby passes out from exhaustion (and lack of food too I'm sure, they made those dancers starve back then (I read all about the way Louis B. Mayer at MGM starved Judy Garland)). When Ruby passes out, Warner immediately without hesitation yells "You two guys! Carry her outta here! The rest of you, let's go!! This aint no rest stop!!".  Warner was crazy in that film, he'd stop at nothing to make that show a success, including getting a few gangsters on Pat Denning (George Brent) who may've been trying to lure leading lady Dorothy Brock (Bebe Daneils) away from the show.  After him telling assistant director Ned Sparks how he lost all his money from his previous successes in the Wall Street crash. And he tells Ned how everyone called him "the slave driver" from his earlier shows. However, I still find touching how Warner tells Ruby before her starring performances "you're going out a youngster, but you're coming back a star".  He was right about that. Besides Ruby's great performances in 42nd st including in the title song, I love her in many others including Footlight parade "By a waterfall" and "Shanghai lil", Dames "I only have eyes for you", Gold diggers "Pettin in the park" and "Shadow waltz", Flirtation walk "Mr. and Mrs. is the name" and the title song near end of film, Colleen "I don't have to dream again" and "You gotta know how to dance", and others. I think Ruby Keeler's wonderful. Does anyone else really love her and find her amazing?

One commentor mentioned Joan Crawford not being a good dancer. Joan Crawford was more known and loved for her acting, especially her drama acting film scenes, not as much for her dancing skills. However, in "Hollywood revue" during the song "Got a feelin for you", she does kind of this neat dance that looked kinda hard to do.

3 hours ago, Allenex said:

One commentor mentioned Joan Crawford not being a good dancer. Joan Crawford was more known and loved for her acting, especially her drama acting film scenes, not as much for her dancing skills. However, in "Hollywood revue" during the song "Got a feelin for you", she does kind of this neat dance that looked kinda hard to do.

I saw Joan Crawford's dancing in That's Entertainment about 40 years ago-- and it was so uncomfortably grotesque I still haven't gotten over it. I believe she started out as a Charleston hoofer, among other things.

19 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I saw Joan Crawford's dancing in That's Entertainment about 40 years ago-- and it was so uncomfortably grotesque I still haven't gotten over it. I believe she started out as a Charleston hoofer, among other things.

When she was still trying to make it big, perhaps when she was still Lucille LeSeuer (sp?), she apparently entered a ton of dance contests at various nightclubs in Hollywood (I'm sure as an effort to be seen) and won many of them.  She also worked as a dancer in a chorus on Broadway.  I saw her dance in, I think, Dancing Lady, and she's terrible.  She just clomped around, no grace or style or anything.  It looked like me when I do my tap dancing impression. I'm glad Joan moved onto the melodramas.  Her 1940s tenure at Warner Brothers is my favorite era of her career. 

• Like 1

When Joan danced in "That's entertainment"; I think it was the "Got a feeling for you" scene from "Hollywood revue" they showed her dancing to Got a feeling for you. I found that one dance of hers kinda neat, but like I said, dancing was not her specialty, and she definitely didn't have the grace and talent of Ginger Rogers and Eleanor Powell, but I did read somewhere that she was more of a buck n wing style dancer like Ruby, but Ruby was better at that. I do remember her from "Dancing lady" too, and her dancing wasn't that dazzling there. There was just something cool about that one dance she did in Got a feeling for you in "Hollywood revue". Joan was famous and great mostly for her great dramatic roles such as in "Mildred Peirce",  " Humoresque", "Whatever happened to baby Jane", and she was great in her role in "Grand hotel" also.

On Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 6:52 PM, Princess of Tap said:

For the time and place she was perfect as a flapper.

And her tap dancing is way above average. Often people today really forget or they're just never learned how the United States was in previous eras. Ruby's style of dancing was the norm for her era and she did a wonderful job with it.

Even though Ruby technically was a flapper girl during her pre Warner brothers Busby Berkeley film years when she danced at the speakeasies, and even though she had a fling with gangster Jonny Costello and George Raft before hooking up with Jolson, Ruby never quite felt comfortable in the flapper speakeasy lifestyle. She was a loyal Catholic who went to church every Sunday and had her true desires in finding a husband, settling down, and having kids, which she did eventually do around 1941 when she retired from the film industry and married Jon Homer Lowe. Ruby still loved to dance which is why she started dancing at the speakeasies and starring in her 1930s films. But, she didn't like the wild speakeasy atmospheres and Jolson did, which is one of the reasons she and Jolson's marriage ended up in divorce. She loved dancing and acting though, which is why later on in 1969 after Jon Lowe passed away, she returned to acting in "No no Nanette".

• Like 1

On Friday, January 05, 2018 at 12:31 PM, papyrusbeetle said:

I think Ruby is darned cute.

cf: 42ND STREET (1932)

Ruby was beautiful. And it wasn't just on the outside, she was a beautiful person inside too who didn't have one ounce of hatred in her soul. She was wonderful to her family, went to church all throughout her life, and even though she was initially a speakeasy dancer before starting in Hollywood, she only did it because she loved to dance. Ruby never felt comfortable with the crazy speakeasy lifestyle. And Ruby never had one of those crazy turbulent lives like some celebrities like Judy Garland had (but I still love Judy, and Judy's singing was more talented than anyone else's). Ruby after leaving Hollywood settled down, got married and had kids, and was a great mother according to everything her kids ever said about her. She was nothing like Joan Crawford (even though I still believe the film "Mommie dearest" exaggerated her parental behavior ("no wire hangers!!!!!")).

10 hours ago, Allenex said:

Even though Ruby technically was a flapper girl during her pre Warner brothers Busby Berkeley film years when she danced at the speakeasies, and even though she had a fling with gangster Jonny Costello and George Raft before hooking up with Jolson, Ruby never quite felt comfortable in the flapper speakeasy lifestyle. She was a loyal Catholic who went to church every Sunday and had her true desires in finding a husband, settling down, and having kids, which she did eventually do around 1941 when she retired from the film industry and married Jon Homer Lowe. Ruby still loved to dance which is why she started dancing at the speakeasies and starring in her 1930s films. But, she didn't like the wild speakeasy atmospheres and Jolson did, which is one of the reasons she and Jolson's marriage ended up in divorce. She loved dancing and acting though, which is why later on in 1969 after Jon Lowe passed away, she returned to acting in "No no Nanette".

Well Ruby wasn't that loyal of a Catholic if she got a divorce and remarried.   Technically a loyal Catholic isn't allowed to do that even today.    Of course I have seen people call Spencer Tracy a loyal Catholic, which I find very humorous.   

When Ruby Keeler returned to the stage in 1969 to star in "No no Nanette", there were a lot of older  Depression era audience members who got some great nostalgia from seeing her on stage tap dancing, plus they were amazed at how well she did in the show. But it wasn't just Depression era audiences that enjoyed seeing Ruby in "No no Nanette". Younger audience members also knew and loved Ruby from her films. The 1960s had a lot of revival theaters showing 1930s films including Busby Berkeley films, so audiences of all ages couldconnect with  Ruby,and were impressed with how well she couldstill dance. I saw a YouTube clip of a live showing of "No no Nanette", Ruby got a standing ovation, and I was impressed by how well she couldstill dance also.

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Well Ruby wasn't that loyal of a Catholic if she got a divorce and remarried.   Technically a loyal Catholic isn't allowed to do that even today.    Of course I have seen people call Spencer Tracy a loyal Catholic, which I find very humorous. 

Divorce in the Catholic faith today is a gray area. You can discuss it with 3 different priests and you will get three different responses. Even annulment procedures are less restrictive now than they were years ago.

I assume life with Jolson was unbearable for Ruby. Adopting a child with him didn't make life any easier for her. I don't remember reading anyone who enjoyed Jolson's company. He was a cruel arrogant egomaniac. Alice Faye had to work with him in "Rose Of Washington Square" and she said it was the worst experience in her life. I'm glad Ruby got rid of him and found happiness with someone outside the film industry. 

I had to laugh about Spencer Tracy. He wouldn't divorce his wife because of his Catholic faith but otherwise found it perfectly acceptable to carry on affairs with Loretta Young, Joan Crawford and a 25 year affair with Katherine Hepburn until his death.

Loretta Young is another one. She deemed herself a devout Catholic yet got pregnant by Clark Gable (a married man at that time) and concocted this huge lie about adopting a baby. She maintained this lie for decades. She also had her first marriage annulled and divorced her second husband after more than 25 years of marriage. Marlene Dietrich was one person who found her devout Catholicism to be hypocritical. Marlene once stated "whenever Loretta sins she builds another church. That's why there are so many churches in the Los Angles area".  LOL. 

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Ruby was still more of a loyal and good hearted person than many celebrities were, even if she didn't follow everything in the bible, but most church goers don't follow all the rules and sin sometimes, we're all only human. But good Christians usually ask for forgiveness after sinning. Ruby was becoming very unhappy in her marriage to Jolson and didn't want to be part of his unsettled lifestyle, plus it was known that Jolson often didn't treat women very well. Yes, Ruby initially fell in love with Jolson when she was young, but things changed and Ruby wanted to settle down and be with a man who treated her well. Plus, she wanted to have kids of her own and couldn't have them with Jolson, which is why they adopted one (Jolson appointed Al Jolson Jr.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, midnight08 said:

Divorce in the Catholic faith today is a gray area. You can discuss it with 3 different priests and you will get three different responses. Even annulment procedures are less restrictive now than they were years ago.

I assume life with Jolson was unbearable for Ruby. Adopting a child with him didn't make life any easier for her. I don't remember reading anyone who enjoyed Jolson's company. He was a cruel arrogant egomaniac. Alice Faye had to work with him in "Rose Of Washington Square" and she said it was the worst experience in her life. I'm glad Ruby got rid of him and found happiness with someone outside the film industry. 

I had to laugh about Spencer Tracy. He wouldn't divorce his wife because of his Catholic faith but otherwise found it perfectly acceptable to carry on affairs with Loretta Young, Joan Crawford and a 25 year affair with Katherine Hepburn until his death.

Loretta Young is another one. She deemed herself a devout Catholic yet got pregnant by Clark Gable (a married man at that time) and concocted this huge lie about adopting a baby. She maintained this lie for decades. She also had her first marriage annulled and divorced her second husband after more than 25 years of marriage. Marlene Dietrich was one person who found her devout Catholicism to be hypocritical. Marlene once stated "whenever Loretta sins she builds another church. That's why there are so many churches in the Los Angles area".  LOL. 

Note that I wasn't criticizing Rudy.  Far from it.   I'm no fan of the RCC.  (and that is putting it gently since this isn't a political thread).    So for Rudy,  I respect her decision to get a divorce and remarry.

I just find the use of the term 'loyal' or 'devout' when the actions say otherwise as a knee-jerk type of response.

Now I don't know if Tracy ever referred to himself as a devout Catholic but if he did,  that is a big joke.   He was an adulterer and while I'm not religious,  I can't respect someone that does this on a consistent basis.  

As for Young;  to me she was a phony especially with her silly and immature cussing jar antic.    Too selfish to tell her daughter who her father was.    That is low life behavior IMO.

On Saturday, April 07, 2018 at 2:52 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Note that I wasn't criticizing Rudy.  Far from it.   I'm no fan of the RCC.  (and that is putting it gently since this isn't a political thread).    So for Rudy,  I respect her decision to get a divorce and remarry.

I just find the use of the term 'loyal' or 'devout' when the actions say otherwise as a knee-jerk type of response.

Now I don't know if Tracy ever referred to himself as a devout Catholic but if he did,  that is a big joke.   He was an adulterer and while I'm not religious,  I can't respect someone that does this on a consistent basis.  

As for Young;  to me she was a phony especially with her silly and immature cussing jar antic.    Too selfish to tell her daughter who her father was.    That is low life behavior IMO.

Nobody has ever been a loyal or devote Catholic to the point to where they have never ever lied or sinned, every human being in the history of humanity has lied and sinned at some point in their lives. Even "honest Abe" Lincoln, I find it hard to believe that he never told a lie at some point in his life. The difference with devoted Christians is that they pray to God and ask for forgiveness after they've sinned, and that they always try to better themselves. But, nobody has ever found it possible to be perfect.  The word perfect in itself is contradictory because what's perfect for one person can always be imperfect to another. Ruby Keeler though was a very decent person with a good heart, but she was not a perfect person who never sinned either. From everything that I've ever read about her, she was a very honest person, even though she had lied in her lifetime too, she lied about her age when she first went on to Broadway. And she divorced Jolson, but Jolson was an extremely difficult person and he treated the women he was with horribly. It's great that she eventually married Jon Homer Lowe and had a happy marriage with him

31 minutes ago, Allenex said:

Nobody has ever been a loyal or devote Catholic to the point to where they have never ever lied or sinned, every human being in the history of humanity has lied and sinned at some point in their lives. Even "honest Abe" Lincoln, I find it hard to believe that he never told a lie at some point in his life. The difference with devoted Christians is that they pray to God and ask for forgiveness after they've sinned, and that they always try to better themselves. But, nobody has ever found it possible to be perfect.  The word perfect in itself is contradictory because what's perfect for one person can always be imperfect to another. Ruby Keeler though was a very decent person with a good heart, but she was not a perfect person who never sinned either. From everything that I've ever read about her, she was a very honest person, even though she had lied in her lifetime too, she lied about her age when she first went on to Broadway. And she divorced Jolson, but Jolson was an extremely difficult person and he treated the women he was with horribly. It's great that she eventually married Jon Homer Lowe and had a happy marriage with him

Sorry,  but to throw out the term 'perfect' is a silly strawman POV.    I.e.  of course no one is 'perfect' and of course no one ever said so.   

Also,  there was no need to come to the defense of Keeler's so called honor since no one was knocking it.  

7 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Sorry,  but to throw out the term 'perfect' is a silly strawman POV.    I.e.  of course no one is 'perfect' and of course no one ever said so.   

Also,  there was no need to come to the defense of Keeler's so called honor since no one was knocking it.  

Oh, I know you weren't knocking Ruby and I know that no one said that anyone is perfect. I'm just stating my opinions, I'm not correcting anybody or calling anyone out.

I know that the term perfect is a totally straw man pov. Like I said before, perfect is a very contradictory term.