Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help finding western movie that inspired proposal

My father-in-law's proposal to my now deceased mother-in-law was inspired by a scene in a western movie. All this time he thought it was "Cheyenne Social Club" but he recently watched it and oops, nope, that isn't it.  

Here is what he knows/thinks: It is a western movie he saw in the theater, probably between 1968 and 1971. The scene was set in a parlor that was 1800's looking. A suitor comes to talk to the father and asks for the daughter's hand in marriage. The following exchange happens:

Father: Do you like my daughter?

Suitor: I love your daughter.

Father: No, I asked if you liked her.

Suitor: (confused silence)

Father: A year or so after you are married and the newness fades you will have a big fight. This could affect your love. You have to like each other to rebuild your love on top of that. 

Obviously he could have the wording slightly off but that concept was part of what he said to her when he proposed. He thought the dad was Jimmy Stewart but we've looked at other westerns he was in around that time and none of them seem right. I would really appreciate some help. He's writing the story of that proposal down and he's pretty bummed that he doesn't have a key piece of information. 

My father-in-law's proposal to my now deceased mother-in-law was inspired by a scene in a western movie. All this time he thought it was "Cheyenne Social Club" but he recently watched it and oops, nope, that isn't it.  

Here is what he knows/thinks: It is a western movie he saw in the theater, probably between 1968 and 1971. The scene was set in a parlor that was 1800's looking. A suitor comes to talk to the father and asks for the daughter's hand in marriage. The following exchange happens:

Father: Do you like my daughter?

Suitor: I love your daughter.

Father: No, I asked if you liked her.

Suitor: (confused silence)

Father: A year or so after you are married and the newness fades you will have a big fight. This could affect your love. You have to like each other to rebuild your love on top of that. 

Obviously he could have the wording slightly off but that concept was part of what he said to her when he proposed. He thought the dad was Jimmy Stewart but we've looked at other westerns he was in around that time and none of them seem right. I would really appreciate some help. He's writing the story of that proposal down and he's pretty bummed that he doesn't have a key piece of information. 

Hmmm...just a guess here Anne, but perhaps Jimmy WAS in that scene, as I'm thinking here that Jimmy might have actually been the suitor in it, and the movie might have been 'How The West Was Won".

As I recall, there's scene in which Jimmy asks Karl Malden, who plays Carroll Baker's father, for her hand in marriage.

Hmmm...just a guess here Anne, but perhaps Jimmy WAS in that scene, as I'm thinking here that Jimmy might have actually been the suitor in it, and the movie might have been 'How The West Was Won".

As I recall, there's scene in which Jimmy asks Karl Malden, who plays Carroll Baker's father, for her hand in marriage.

Thanks! Looking at the plot I didn't see anything that showed that for sure but I'll keep digging (or just watch it). Any other ideas are appreciated. 

It has been awhile since I've seen it, but I believe Shenandoah may have had a scene along those lines in it. And James Stewart was the father in that one.

I think that's it!! I found a quote on imdb that is pretty similar!! Thank you so much!!

It has been awhile since I've seen it, but I believe Shenandoah may have had a scene along those lines in it. And James Stewart was the father in that one.

I found the trailer on YouTube and it showed part of that scene. I showed it to him and he said that was it. And got very emotional, but in a good way. Thank you so much, this really means a lot to him. 

Thanks! Looking at the plot I didn't see anything that showed that for sure but I'll keep digging (or just watch it). Any other ideas are appreciated. 

that's HOW THE WEST WAS WON you're thinkin' of. :)