Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Classic noir online

Thought I'd mention these are available online as we wait for them to premiere or return to TCM's airwaves:

ACCOMPLICE (Amazon Prime)

AFFAIR IN TRINIDAD (Amazon Prime)

APPOINTMENT WITH DANGER (Amazon Prime)

BEHIND LOCKED DOORS (Amazon Prime)

THE BIG COMBO (Amazon Prime)

THE BIG HEAT (Amazon Prime)

A BLUEPRINT FOR MURDER (Amazon Prime)

BOOMERANG! (Amazon Prime)

THE CRIMSON KIMONO (Amazon Prime)

DOUBLE INDEMNITY (Amazon Prime)

THE GREAT FLAMARION (Amazon Prime)

HOUSE BY THE RIVER (Amazon Prime)

THE HOUSE ON TELEGRAPH HILL (Amazon Prime)

IMPACT (Amazon Prime)

MAN IN THE ATTIC (Amazon Prime)

NIAGARA (Amazon Prime)

PAROLE INC (Amazon Prime)

PITFALL (Amazon Prime)

RAILROADED! (Amazon Prime)

ROPE (Amazon Prime)

SCENE OF THE CRIME (Amazon Prime)

THE SLEEPING TIGER (Amazon Prime)

STRANGER ON THE THIRD FLOOR (Amazon Prime)

VERTIGO (Amazon Prime)

VIOLENCE (Amazon Prime)

WHISPERING CITY (Amazon Prime)

Over on Amazon, there are DVD-Paks of "10" or "20" or "50" or "100" titles in low-cost packages.  These are euphemistically described as "public domain" copies but some are quite sharp, while others... well...

But a couple of these 'DVD packages' take some pride in finding as many copies of one title, then selecting The Best One Possible.  THE GREAT FLAMARION is a one of those - a fairly decent copy.  WHISTLE STOP, with George Raft, Ava Gardner, Victor McLaglen) is lesser. 

"But it's all we have!" 

Over on Amazon, there are DVD-Paks of "10" or "20" or "50" or "100" titles in low-cost packages.  These are euphemistically described as "public domain" copies but some are quite sharp, while others... well...

But a couple of these 'DVD packages' take some pride in finding as many copies of one title, then selecting The Best One Possible.  THE GREAT FLAMARION is a one of those - a fairly decent copy.  WHISTLE STOP, with George Raft, Ava Gardner, Victor McLaglen) is lesser. 

"But it's all we have!" 

Thanks for the info. I am somewhat curious about THE GREAT FLAMARION...still haven't seen it. Erich von Stroheim, yes?

There is a boatload of noir flicks on YT, many of the lesser

known variety. The visual quality varies, but they are usually

fairly good. There are so many that I have to take a break and

watch another type of film because the noirs all start to run together.

I specifically did not mention Youtube, because there is already a thread about Youtube movies. But some of those are posted illegally or they are poor public domain prints. Since Amazon is a pay-based service, the prints tend to be in very good condition. And it is all legal.

There are really too many to point out in the YT thread. I just

thought I'd mention that, for anyone interested, there are

many noirs there, and many of them of the lesser known variety.

I'll leave the question of illegality up to the individual.

Thanks Vautrin. Good post!

...THE GREAT FLAMARION...still haven't seen it. Erich von Stroheim, yes?

Yes, in a masterful performance.  Everyone delivers a favorite film to me with that one.  Actually, I normally file that film in the "Black Widow Department" of films, or maybe in the "Men can be soooo dumb over beautiful women!" sub-department.  Stroheim should have written this role for every guy who's too old but simply refuses to live like that.

"I've still got it!" seems to be the famous last words when mirrors talk back to us!

Snag FLAMARION sometime, and then pile on 1947's FRAMED, with Glenn Ford, the most beauitiful Janis Carter, Barry Sullivan (only briefly!) and a wonderful non-caricatured performance by Edgar Buchanan. 

• Like 1

I have less concern about legality because these films are meant to be seen, not warehoused away, so I applaud efforts by those YT posters who give access to films that rightsholders refuse to make available. 

If they want to shut down those videos, all they have to do is, like Amazon, provide a much better quality version. 

I have less concern about legality because these films are meant to be seen, not warehoused away, so I applaud efforts by those YT posters who give access to films that rightsholders refuse to make available. 

If they want to shut down those videos, all they have to do is, like Amazon, provide a much better quality version. 

I believe you are on to something with that last sentence of yours. Obviously, there is a market for these films, which Amazon recognizes. So the rights holders of these other films that are being posted illegally on youtube should see what's going on and bring better prints to the table on pay platforms. People would willing to pay to see clean copies of many of these films. And yes, they should not be stuck in a vault where they eventually become lost films. Or stuck in the middle of a courtroom battle, which is what's happening with something like LETTY LYNTON.