Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Enchantment

jcphelps

Did or does anyone else love or even like this truly romantic movie?  I have adored this movie for 40 years, but then I like everything, well most everything by Samuel Goldwyn.  After reading his bio, he was such a perfectionist and control freak, that it didn't surprise me that Teresa Wright, wanted to break free, but he had excellent taste in what he produced (after all he back them up sometimes with mortgaging of his own property). 

• Like 1

Did or does anyone else love or even like this truly romantic movie?  I have adored this movie for 40 years, but then I like everything, well most everything by Samuel Goldwyn.  After reading his bio, he was such a perfectionist and control freak, that it didn't surprise me that Teresa Wright, wanted to break free, but he had excellent taste in what he produced (after all he back them up sometimes with mortgaging of his own property). 

It was a nice movie and one I hadn't seen before.   Fine acting.    I'm a big fan of Wright but the part called for a much younger women IMO.     My wife was disappointed that the story didn't say what happened to the mean sister (or we missed it).  

The brother said he wouldn't go back to the home as long as she was there.  So something had to happen to her for him to be living there.

It was a nice movie and one I hadn't seen before.   Fine acting.    I'm a big fan of Wright but the part called for a much younger women IMO.     My wife was disappointed that the story didn't say what happened to the mean sister (or we missed it).  

The brother said he wouldn't go back to the home as long as she was there.  So something had to happen to her for him to be living there.

I interpreted it as his having outlived her. As an audience, we want to know more about Lark's outcome anyway.

I think she died, at least that's what I think was inferred.  Pelham went to America.  James, I also thought Teresa was bit old for it, but yes she was wonderful in anything she did.  But I agree with RO, her light never shown as bright after leaving Goldwyn, at least she was happy about it.  But if you look at the body of work she did with Goldwyn, they were all memorable parts. 

I think she died, at least that's what I think was inferred.  Pelham went to America.  James, I also thought Teresa was bit old for it, but yes she was wonderful in anything she did.  But I agree with RO, her light never shown as bright after leaving Goldwyn, at least she was happy about it.  But if you look at the body of work she did with Goldwyn, they were all memorable parts. 

I agree. Rollo told Selina he would never return to the house as long as she was alive. She was also older than Rollo, of course she had died and then he must have returned to the house. If Selina had changed that would have been mentioned and he makes a comment about Evelyn Keyes pretty mouth, something to the effect that his sister also had a pretty mouth but it was a shrewish mouth, or something to that effect. We know they never made up and that Rollo had not forgiven Selina, so he must have waited until she died to return to the house. I did enjoy the film very much and hope TCM does show the film again this year.

• Like 2

Warning - spoilers 

I love this movie.  I still treasure my VHS tape that I have had for 3 decades.

For the romantic sake of this story (since it crosses generations as well), this is how I see the back story playing out --

Lark (Theresa Wright) leaves with the Italian Del Laude, and later they eventually resettle in Canada, where Pax (Farley Granger) knows her and learns about the London home.

Rollo Dane (David Niven) is heartbroken and goes on to his multi-year commission to Afghanistan, making good his threat to Selena (Jayne Meadows) 

His brother, Pelham, heartbroken as well, also abandons Selena and leaves for America, becomes successful and has a family of his own, including Grizel Dane (Evelyn Keyes-who is so lovely in this role!).  Grizel learns about Rollo from Pelham

Selena remains in the Dane home, miserable, bitter, and now unloved by her family, until her death. Then, at that time, Rollo returns from the near Asia assignment and now occupies the house.  As soon as he returns, he starts dreaming of Lark.  

Lark in his dreams become clearer as she leaves the earthly bonds.. Her love never ended, but it was transformed into this silence she shares with Rollo.  While it's never directly spoken, Rollo senses his Lark has died on earth for in his dreams the memories become sweeter as if she is free to express herself now.   In his own way, Rollo is ready to join her.  That's why his admonishment near the end has a double meaning. 

This story is very lyrical.  I love it.

• Like 3

Would just like to add here that I thought the performance of Jayne Meadows as the shrewish and devious Selina was excellent.

I haven't really seen all that much of Miss Meadows' film work(of course Mrs. Steve Allen was all over the TV back in the day), but because I've always felt she was..well..pretty awful in Robert Montgomery's "Lady in the Lake" and one of the few films I do recall her being in, perhaps this is the reason I was somewhat pleasantly surprised she was so good in "Enchantment".

(...in fact, I thought she might have even gave Judith Anderson's performance in "Rebecca" as the villainous Mrs. Danvers a run for her money in this one...well, without the obvious subtext of the Danvers character, anyway) 

• Like 1

Casa:  with regards to "and later they eventually resettle in Canada, where Pax (Farley Granger) knows her and learns about the London home."

Lark was Pax's aunt,  right?     I believe this was mentioned and I kept wondering about the nature of this relationship (e.g.  one of Pax's parents was a member of Lark's actual bio-family???).     I know none of this really matters but since the movie was all about relationships,   while watching the movie I wondered if that would be explained but I don't think it was. 

I agree. Rollo told Selina he would never return to the house as long as she was alive. She was also older than Rollo, of course she had died and then he must have returned to the house. If Selina had changed that would have been mentioned and he makes a comment about Evelyn Keyes pretty mouth, something to the effect that his sister also had a pretty mouth but it was a shrewish mouth, or something to that effect. We know they never made up and that Rollo had not forgiven Selina, so he must have waited until she died to return to the house. I did enjoy the film very much and hope TCM does show the film again this year.

Yes, I enjoyed it too. I had only seen the beginning before. Found it more interesting and moving than I thought it would be........

I did kind of laugh when Lark and Pax looked back at the house and it got a direct hit by a bomb. Holy ****, old Rollo got blown to bits! Yikes!

I say ol' boy, did you feel as I did and that perhaps the jerrys might have actually did the old chap a good service by putting him out of his misery?

(...well, I kind'a felt a little like that anyway)

Yes, it did seem like the old duffer didn't have much to look forward

to, unless he was going to write his memoirs. Even so, it couldn't

have been very pleasant to die like that, unless it was over quickly.

Blown to bits is an exaggeration, as we see his legs seemingly attached

to the rest of his body. It also seems to put a finis to the older love

story. It's really over now.

Uh-huh...and thus the very reason we would never see "Enchantment II: Rollo Finds Love Anew" on any movie theater marquees ever.

(...though of course I suppose they COULD have maybe done one of those Bobby Ewing shower kind'a things if they really wanted to, huh?!)

• Like 1

The time tripping plot helped a little bit, but this was really just

a standard romance movie, with the usual suspects showing

up. It was entertaining enough, but nothing very special. I do

think that Selina brought a much needed touch of spice to the

film. She just never gave up on hating Lark and trying to mess

up her plans. I never quite bought David Niven as the white

haired old guy, not sure why. It seemed just a bit off. I did kind

of laugh when Lark and Pax looked back at the house and

it got a direct hit by a bomb. Holy ****, old Rollo got blown to

bits! Yikes!

To Each His Own.  Another clever but romance-laden movie.. You've been warned, Vautrin; watch at your own risk.

I feel the same way over most crime movies.  

I think the last scene is correct in its tone.    In story, we like closure.  We already know the future of Lark and Rollo rejoining each other will not happen.  Maybe you saw that final scene as a nonsequitur,  and you thought it over the top.   I did not.   

• Like 1

Would just like to add here that I thought the performance of Jayne Meadows as the shrewish and devious Selina was excellent.

(...in fact, I thought she might have even gave Judith Anderson's performance in "Rebecca" as the villainous Mrs. Danvers a run for her money in this one...well, without the obvious subtext of the Danvers character, anyway) 

Two different forms of shrewish characters,  and I think Meadow's cruelty is so awful for it will ring true for many women.  The way Selena rationalizes her behavior as being pretty noble of herself to show Lark how to properly be a young lady, just makes me cringe for I have seen other women do the same thing!   

• Like 2

To Each His Own.  Another clever but romance-laden movie.. You've been warned, Vautrin; watch at your own risk.

Oooh...yeah. That Olivia de Havilland movie WOULD make for a great double bill with this one, wouldn't it Char! The era of the London Blitz depicted within both films being another commonality here. 

I still remember the first time I caught that movie as a teenager on the Late Late Movie back in the '60s. I found it especially "enchanting", as I too was a child of adoption(as an infant in my case), and so perhaps because of that I found myself imagining some commonality with the de Havilland character and my birth mother...and even though my personal circumstances would differ quite a bit from how this film played out. 

(...however and as you know, the ending of this film is a bit more upbeat than is the one in "Enchantment"...at least in regard to the respective older generation characters anyway)

• Like 1

Lavenderblue19, thank you for your very kind words.  

Casa:  with regards to "and later they eventually resettle in Canada, where Pax (Farley Granger) knows her and learns about the London home."

Lark was Pax's aunt,  right?     I believe this was mentioned and I kept wondering about the nature of this relationship (e.g.  one of Pax's parents was a member of Lark's actual bio-family???).     I know none of this really matters but since the movie was all about relationships,   while watching the movie I wondered if that would be explained but I don't think it was. 

Enchantment was based on a story by Rumer Golden; alas, I cannot find any book or story to read of the original material.  

Yes, Pax is Lark's nephew.   Also, Pax makes fond reference to Lark but no mention of Del Laude.  None of this is explained, and many producers and directors would wonder why we care about these back stories.   I agree with you, I would like to know a little more history myself, even if it was just more exposition by Pax.  For instance, how/why did she end up in Canada?   There are very subtle suggestions about Pelham and so his American granddaughter Grizel showing up is perfectly understandable to me.   Also, as a suggestion to the fate of Selena, she has no children/grandchildren showing up in the story later.  Nuff said about her. 

I think I may watch it again tonight.   

• Like 1

Oooh...yeah. That Olivia de Havilland movie WOULD make for a great double bill with this one, wouldn't it Char! The era of the London Blitz depicted within both films being another commonality here. 

I still remember the first time I caught that movie as a teenager on the Late Late Movie back in the '60s. I found it especially "enchanting", as I too was a child of adoption(as an infant in my case), and so perhaps because of that I found myself imagining some commonality with the de Havilland character and my birth mother...and even though my personal circumstances would differ quite a bit from how this film played out. 

(...however and as you know, the ending of this film is a bit more upbeat than is the one in "Enchantment"...at least in regard to the respective older generation characters anyway.

Holy Carnarsie!  Do I like this post!!   

:o

• Like 1

I feel the same way over most crime movies.  

I think the last scene is correct in its tone.    In story, we like closure.  We already know the future of Lark and Rollo rejoining each other will not happen.  Maybe you saw that final scene as a nonsequitur,  and you thought it over the top.   I did not.   

I'm not sure about that (the ending) I think it's open to the viewer's interpretation. I saw it as Rollo and Lark reunited in the afterlife. not that they were not.......

• Like 1

I'm not sure about that (the ending) I think it's open to the viewer's interpretation. I saw it as Rollo and Lark reunited in the afterlife. not that they were not.......

Actually, Hibi, we are in agreement on this point.  I felt Rollo and Lark would not see each again while they were alive.  Hence their affection while in dreams are so vivid.  Having Rollo die in the end gave their love story the coda it needed.   

The last lines of Enchantment are narration of the house at 99 Wilshire Crescent:

No story really ends. It only links the past and the future. In me, the young will live again with a heart's lease on life.

The reference "the young will live again" I take to mean two ways:  The forever youthful spirit of Rollo and Lark in their love of each other, and the younger generation of Pax and Grizel will have the legacy of love that's graced to them by Rollo and Lark.

• Like 2

Actually, Hibi, we are in agreement on this point.  I felt Rollo and Lark would not see each again while they were alive.  Hence their affection while in dreams are so vivid.  Having Rollo die in the end gave their love story the coda it needed.   

The last lines of Enchantment are narration of the house at 99 Wilshire Crescent:

No story really ends. It only links the past and the future. In me, the young will live again with a heart's lease on life.

The reference "the young will live again" I take to mean two ways:  The forever youthful spirit of Rollo and Lark in their love of each other, and the younger generation of Pax and Grizel will have the legacy of love that's graced to them by Rollo and Lark.

Oh, ok. I guess I misunderstood you.

And I wasn't even trying. I was really thinking of his body after the bomb

hit, though his (two) legs were intact. I won't rest until the plural of pervert is

deemed acceptable. Call it pervertverance.

I got a bit confused about all the kinship relations between the characters,

especially over two generations. That will give me a reason to see this one

again. I may need to make a diagram.

Yes, that part was a bit confusing. Probably detailed more in the book. (I think it was based on a book....)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings