Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The MOST FAMOUS Movie Stars with the LEAST number of films....

FredCDobbs

James Dean. Case closed.

I agree. Dean starred in 3 movies before.his untimely death. He did far fewer films than Leigh or Rainer. He is an iconic figure to this day; Rainer is forgotten by all but classic film fans, and while Leigh is iconic due to GWTW, and to a lesser degree,.STREETCAR, she is only to people who have seen them. Dean is like Marilyn Monroe, famous and instantly recognizable by people who have never seen one of their films.

Dean is the champ of this category of course, but for "normal" careers:

I suggest VIVIEN LEIGH, with 19 movies, 1 TV show, and 2 Oscars.

She beats Warren Beatty, who by my count had 21 feature films (over 40 years).

Beatty is an interesting case who maintained stardom despite a relatively small output and IMHO never being a major box office draw.

Beatty's true genius was for making friends with Hollywood bigwigs, such as Charles Bludhorn and Robert Evans.

I believe this forum is closed with James Dean most arguably being the "most famous movie star" with the least number of films. Not only is he a famous star but an icon as well.

So why not continue this forum but change it to "famous movie  stars with a low output of movies"?

James Dean - I believe he appeared in 4 (movie) films.

Off the top of my head he was in 6 features:

Sailor Beware

Fixed Bayonets

Has Anybody Seen My Gal

EOE

RWAC

Giant

Records at WB supposedly show him as being on the payroll for Trouble Along The Way, but I've never been able to spot him in it.

Wasn't Dean also in "Deadline - U.S.A." (1952)?

I'd never heard this before, and I've seen Deadline USA. However, IMDb lists him as appearing in the tiny, non-speaking role of a press boy. There are errors on IMDb, which get picked and posted on other sites. Unless someone can post a pic of his scene I guess I'll have to slog through Deadline USA again to make sure.

I've not seen "Deadline U.S.A." (1952) myself, but the Leonard Maltin Classic Video Guide has this sentence at the end of the review.  It might help you find James Dean's itty bitty part. 

"Don't blink or you'll miss a young James Dean in a silent bit part during a newspaper production montage."   

I believe this forum is closed with James Dean most arguably being the "most famous movie star" with the least number of films. Not only is he a famous star but an icon as well.

So why not continue this forum but change it to "famous movie  stars with a low output of movies"?

Dean, Grace Kelly, Vivien Leigh. For supporting players, Josephine Hull.

Another actress who is famous for only one superb role is Frenchwoman Maria Falconetti (1892-1946) of the great 1928 silent achievement THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC.  I believe she appeared in only two other films both in 1917 though she was a noted stage actress.  Falconetti's one intense moving effort as Joan of Arc consigns her to a very high place in the history of cinema. 

Another actress who is famous for only one superb role is Frenchwoman Maria Falconetti (1892-1946) of the great 1928 silent achievement THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC.  I believe she appeared in only two other films both in 1917 though she was a noted stage actress.  Falconetti's one intense moving effort as Joan of Arc consigns her to a very high place in the history of cinema. 

If you start mentioning actors who were primarily stage performers and appeared in few films, that doesn't really address the question, because they are famous primarily because of their stage work.........e.g., Ethel Merman and Mary Martin.

If you start mentioning actors who were primarily stage performers and appeared in few films, that doesn't really address the question, because they are famous primarily because of their stage work.........e.g., Ethel Merman and Mary Martin.

In your opinion only.

In your opinion only.

Well who is famous or not isn't a matter of opinion (as it relates to when one of us say XYZ is famous).    Being famous is the collective opinion of a group of people.    Now if this group of people is current Americans I assume most of the actors mentioned here are unknown to most Americans with maybe the exception of Dean (but my guess is that most of the people that know who Dean is haven't seen any of his movies).

I agree too, with Dean being the "winner" in this category.

but, should "bit" parts be included?  If, say, so-and-so is the billed "star" of a movie, and "who'sit", who becomes famous five years down the road might have had a two second "walk-on" in that movie, CAN it be considered among HIS "output"?

Plus, I have to take issue with KIMBALL, I think, who claimed Warren Beatty never had "box office draw".  Sure he did.  Without it, SHAMPOO might never have (thankfully) been made!  It was HIM IN IT that sold the tickets.  Certainly NOT beause it was "great cinema art". :wacko:

Sepiatone

Ruby Keeler-11 films (from 1933-1941) and  Harold Russell-1 film (Best Years Of Our Lives). Harold also won the best supporting actor for this his one and only role.

Russell appeared in two other feature films -- "Inside Moves" (1980) and "Dogtown" (1997).

I agree too, with Dean being the "winner" in this category.

but, should "bit" parts be included?  If, say, so-and-so is the billed "star" of a movie, and "who'sit", who becomes famous five years down the road might have had a two second "walk-on" in that movie, CAN it be considered among HIS "output"?

Plus, I have to take issue with KIMBALL, I think, who claimed Warren Beatty never had "box office draw".  Sure he did.  Without it, SHAMPOO might never have (thankfully) been made!  It was HIM IN IT that sold the tickets.  Certainly NOT beause it was "great cinema art". :wacko:

Sepiatone

The best think about seeing SHAMPOO recently was that it reminded me of Buffalo Springfield's great "Mr. Soul", which I had completely forgotten about. It was playing in the background in one of the election scenes.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings