Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

'Plan 9 from Outer Space' actor Gregory Walcott has died

darkblue

Thanks for the link.

I must admit, I hadn't heard of Gregory Walcott, although after reading that article, I realize I'd seen him several times and not realized who he was.

Have you seen the 1994 Tim Burton film, Ed Wood ? I saw it when it came out and really enjoyed it. Funny thing is, there doesn't seem to have been anybody playing Gregory Walcott in the Burton film, even though a lot of it is about the making of Plan 9, and I'm pretty sure Walcott was its "star".

Evidently, though, Walcott does make an appearance in the Burton film - although not as Gregory Walcott !

Have you seen the 1994 Tim Burton film, Ed Wood...it is about the making of Plan 9, and I'm pretty sure Walcott was its "star".!

I like "Ed Wood" very much, but I've only seen it once .

I adore "Plan Nine" and have probably seen it over thirty times, I own it both as a straight DVD and with commentary by RiffTrax.

I think Gregory Walcott was involved with the production because he was a member of the church that helped Wood to finance the movie ( no I'm not kidding.)

I think a lot of his more legitimate titles like " Norma Rae "and"the Eiger sanction" (sp?) came along well after "plan nine" was in the can and he wasn't exactly a name when he appeared alongside Bela, Vampira and company, although I do think he gets top billing...

I like "Ed Wood" very much, but I've only seen it once .

I adore "Plan Nine" and have probably seen it over thirty times, I own it both as a straight DVD and with commentary by RiffTrax.

I think Gregory Walcott was involved with the production because he was a member of the church that helped Wood to finance the movie ( no I'm not kidding.)

I think a lot of his more legitimate titles like " Norma Rae "and"the Eiger sanction" (sp?) came along well after "plan nine" was in the can and he wasn't exactly a name when he appeared alongside Bela, Vampira and company, although I do think he gets top billing...

The obits I've read claim he did Plan 9 as a favor to the producer; whether they went to the same church I don't know. In Ed Wood Walcott plays one the church member-investors.

If you watched TV westerns from the golden age you've probably seen Walcott -- he was in a passel of 'em. I just watched him in a Rawhide (where he befriended Eastwood, fwiw) a few days ago.

I loved Ed Wood (the movie) too. There was a sweet innocence about Johnny Depp's performance that was quite affecting in its portrayal of his character's enthusiasm, positive energy and naiviety. The poor sap just didn't know that he was a rottten filmmaker.

Martin Landau's Oscar turn as Bela Lugosi (ironic that someone would get rewarded by the Academy for playing an actor that never came close to receiving recognition or respect from the same organization) is compelling and shockingly accurate (not to mention courageous since so many today still know Lugosi's work). The relationship between Wood and Lugosi in the film I thought quite sweet, the loyalty of the director to the aging, sickly star, and the gratitude of that aging star to the young director for giving him employment when no one else will. The film gives you the impression that Wood was Lugosi's only friend in those final years.

In fact, watching the odd ball collection of characters and misfits with whom Wood surrounds himself in this Tim Burton film gave me flashbacks to Woody Allen's Broadway Danny Rose (another film favourite of mine).

I think it's just as well that Burton only told that story of Wood in the '50s, ending the film with Wood's most famous production, Plan 9. Wood's life after the '50s, from what I've read, was pretty depressing and tawdry. If you're going to make an affectionate film tribute to a man, emphasizing his enthusiasm to be a filmmaker (actually comparing himself to Orson Welles), then best to stick to the years for which he is best remembered. His "glory" years, so to speak, or, at least, the years that have made him a film legend of a different kind.

I just wish I knew a little more about the real Wood in order to know where this Burton film took liberties with history.

Have you seen the 1994 Tim Burton film, Ed Wood ? I saw it when it came out and really enjoyed it. Funny thing is, there doesn't seem to have been anybody playing Gregory Walcott in the Burton film, even though a lot of it is about the making of Plan 9, and I'm pretty sure Walcott was its "star".

Evidently, though, Walcott does make an appearance in the Burton film - although not as Gregory Walcott !

Walcott's character does appear in the film, but not by name, as I recall. He is listed in the credits as the "pilot."  I believe he arrives on the set and asks where the cockpit is.

This is a very entertaining film. Everybody plays their part just about right, Even George "The Animal" Steele is great as Tor Johnson (who was not so great himself).

• 2 weeks later...

MORBID TRIVIA:  I saw that GEOFFREY LEWIS died yesterday at 79.  Both he and the recently deceased Gregory Walcott appeared in 'THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT' along with the also-recently-deceased actress JUNE FAIRCHILD (best known as the "Ajax Lady" in UP IN SMOKE).

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings