Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why is TCM's film schedule set many, many months in advance?

NipkowDisc

how do requests from viewers and their input enter into that? does tcm intend to draw from the same fixed film catalog...forever? okay. fine. ten years ago the film hot spell was a part of that catalog and now apparently is no longer? question, does the tcm film catalog do nothing other than contract? does it never expand with new additions or even, old ones? :)

how do requests from viewers and their input enter into that? does tcm intend to draw from the same fixed film catalog...forever? okay. fine. ten years ago the film hot spell was a part of that catalog and now apparently is no longer? question, does the tcm film catalog do nothing other than contract? does it never expand with new additions or even, old ones? :)

How many times do we have to explain this to you????     

TCM leases films.   There are many different types of leases but most are bundles of films from various studios.   Films that Time Warner owns (what some call the old Ted Turner library),  are the easiest to lease (and I assume lease expensive but this could be false) while films from other studios are much harder to lease (Universal being one for sure). 

Of course TCM expands with new additions;  e.g. Laura from 20th Century Fox.       

TCM of course also gets bundles of films were a film they use to lease is NO longer in the bundle.   WHY?   I have no idea. 

Go watch the recorded version of Hot Spell you have since your constant thread on this topic are a PITA.

• Like 3

How many times do we have to explain this to you????     

TCM leases films.   There are many different types of leases but most are bundles of films from various studios.   Films that Time Warner owns (what some call the old Ted Turner library),  are the easiest to lease (and I assume lease expensive but this could be false) while films from other studios are much harder to lease (Universal being one for sure). 

Of course TCM expands with new additions;  e.g. Laura from 20th Century Fox.       

TCM of course also gets bundles of films were a film they use to lease is NO longer in the bundle.   WHY?   I have no idea. 

Go watch the recorded version of Hot Spell you have since your constant thread on this topic are a PITA.

oh? so if tcm ever found that they could no longer lease Gone With The Wind, that would be okay? since being great cinemaphiles rises and falls on film availability....okay.

I doan know, tcm has shown Rear Window here on tcm many times but they go the extra mile to get it released in theaters? why does their partiality to certain films rule out our partiality to certain films? :huh:

Rear Window for decades was locked away but not recently. today Hot Spell is. it is being shown nowhere that I know of. not on movies! or anywhere. viewing-wise it is not currently extant. so who's the say that I or anyone else who has seen and appreciates Hot Spell is out of line inquiring about it? :)

oh? so if tcm ever found that they could no longer lease Gone With The Wind, that would be okay? since being great cinemaphiles rises and falls on film availability....okay.

I doan know, tcm has shown Rear Window here on tcm many times but they go the extra mile to get it released in theaters? why does their partiality to certain films rule out our partiality to certain films? :huh:

Rear Window for decades was locked away but not recently. today Hot Spell is. it is being shown nowhere that I know of. not on movies! or anywhere. viewing-wise it is not currently extant. so who's the say that I or anyone else who has seen and appreciates Hot Spell is out of line inquiring about it? :)

let me ask this...

if...IF tcm had a pressing desire to show Hot Spell badly and if they really wanted to...

COULD they get a hold of a print? :huh:

..or would they be hard pressed to acquire a print along with a bundle of other films? How do I know?! I only be-a askin'. :)

3 months is not that "many, many".

8 or 9 months - now that would be "many, many".

Your thread should probably be titled "Why is TCM's film schedule set three months in advance?".

Accuracy in language is a good thing.

Right.

And most channels' schedules are set months in advance. 

TCM just makes that schedule available online.

Don't complain !  I and probably many others like it that way. I wouldn't care if they knew the schedule a year in advance and posted it.  I always look forward to see what is coming in the months ahead.

Nip complains when the sun shines in the morning and when it is very cloudy and it doesn't.   Just part of his DNA. 

• Like 1

3 months is not that "many, many".

8 or 9 months - now that would be "many, many".

Your thread should probably be titled "Why is TCM's film schedule set three months in advance?".

Accuracy in language is a good thing.

There may be some promotion done in that 3 month period. For one thing, "Now Playing" requires preparation.

There may be some promotion done in that 3 month period. For one thing, "Now Playing" requires preparation.

Hopefully, nipper reads that.

Which reminds me of an SCTV sketch where Lorne Greene is rehearsing for a music special and starts singing "the cabin boy, the cabin boy, the dirty little nipper...."

and the producer interrupts, saying "Lorne - I told you, you can't sing those songs on television"

and Lorne replies "oh for gawd sakes, there was hardly anything dirty in that one".

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings