Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hail Computron!

NipkowDisc

that's from an old Galaxy Trio hanna-barbera ep that was sandwiched in-between birdman. on a distant planet vapor man, gravity girl and meteor man hafta deal with the power-hungry robot Computron. there was even a sequel ep with computron being reactivated.
well, here's the deal. went out today on my birthday and got a new computer as well as a new monitor and stereo headphone. it's all still in the box so of course I still be a talkin' to you from my old clunker. first, my old clunker...
an 11-year old dell dimension 3000. a real bomb with it's noisy cooling fans. always sounds like it a bein' an overheating it do.
here be my old clunker's run-down...(it be run-down alright)

an old single-core intel pentium 4 at a still respectable 2.8Ghz. a miniscule by today's standards 80GB ATA 7200rpm hard drive, dvd-rom drive that still be a workin', a cd-rw drive that no longer works and a dead as a door nail floppy drive. a measly 1 GB of DDR RAM. (PC3200)

has a good sound card though. an old soundblaster live 24-bit...which I will remove as a momento. also has a firewire card that I used to use for my old first generation ipod. a pile of cr ap it a be I think.
didn't have what I wanted at radio shack or walmart so got it at best buy. really had a nice outing out at best buy. gawked at the new laptops and TVs. had the newest curved and samsung SUHD TVs out there too. before goin' out to best buy talked to this really nice girl on the phone. she said they hadda more recent model of the computer I had wanted just hadda pay a tad more. coulda gotten a cheaper computer but I had my heart set on what I wanted.

it's small, very compact and quiet. almost a laptop in desktop form. the dell inspiron i3646-2600BLK with an intel pentium J2900 four core processor at 2.41Ghz (2.66Ghz in burst mode) 4 GB of DDR3L RAM at 1600Mhz. not too shabby huh? has a dvd multidrive, four usb 2.0 ports and one usb 3.0 port and a very spacious 500GB serial ATA/300 hard drive. pretty good kumquats, huh?
the monitor? I got the last one they had. an AOC 19.5" LED screen. also for a twenty spot got a sony headphone with neodymium drivers to use with my new computer. so, that be my new hardware. :)

That sounds like a 20-inch all-in-one touchscreen - the media card reader can come in handy for digital photos if you have a camera. If you compare Non-touchcreen models you may find greater performance at larger capacities in the same price range (1TB HD & 8GB Ram). A personal preferrece.

That sounds like a 20-inch all-in-one touchscreen - the media card reader can come in handy for digital photos if you have a camera. If you compare Non-touchcreen models you may find greater performance at larger capacities in the same price range (1TB HD & 8GB Ram). A personal preferrece.

no it ain't that. a touchscreen? I'd go nuts wiping it off every five minutes. no, what I'm gonna buy comes in at about 250 dollars :lol:

buy cheap, that's my motto. :)

got my eye on a dell inspiron desktop. has a dvd multidrive so I will just hook it up to my old peripherals which will give me two dvd multidrives and other things. letcha know when I get it. :)

I will never buy a NEW computer in this day of planned obsolescence.

Last year I purchased a still like new condition 2004 Dell Zotac for only $80.00.  Best deal I got in 2014,  installed a TV/video, SoundBlaster and a 3D accelerator video card. My monitor is a KDS USA 19" conventional CRT that has a perfect flat screen.  Also like new and cost $0 thanks for the snobbish employer I work for.

L11256028.jpg

I will never buy a NEW computer in this day of planned obsolescence.

Last year I purchased a still like new condition 2004 Dell Zotac for only $80.00.  Best deal I got in 2014,  installed a TV/video, SoundBlaster and a 3D accelerator video card. My monitor is a KDS USA 19" conventional CRT that has a perfect flat screen.  Also like new and cost $0 thanks for the snobbish employer I work for.

L11256028.jpg

wow! I'm gonna make that me wallpaper. :)

that's from an old Galaxy Trio hanna-barbera ep that was sandwiched in-between birdman. on a distant planet vapor man, gravity girl and meteor man hafta deal with the power-hungry robot Computron. there was even a sequel ep with computron being reactivated.
well, here's the deal. went out today on my birthday and got a new computer as well as a new monitor and stereo headphone. it's all still in the box so of course I still be a talkin' to you from my old clunker. first, my old clunker...
an 11-year old dell dimension 3000. a real bomb with it's noisy cooling fans. always sounds like it a bein' an overheating it do.

an old single-core intel pentium 4 at a still respectable 2.8GHz. a miniscule by today's standards 80GB ATA 7200rpm hard drive, dvd-rom drive that still be a workin', a cd-rw drive that no longer works and a dead as a door nail floppy drive. a measly 1 GB of DDR RAM. (PC3200)

has a good sound card though. an old soundblaster live 24-bit...which I will remove as a momento. also has a firewire card that I used to use for my old first generation ipod. a pile of cr ap it a be I think.
didn't have what I wanted at radio shack or walmart so got it at best buy. really had a nice outing out at best buy. gawked at the new laptops and TVs. had the newest curved and samsung SUHD TVs out there too. before goin' out to best buy talked to this really nice girl on the phone. she said they hadda more recent model of the computer I had wanted just hadda pay a tad more. coulda gotten a cheaper computer but I had my heart set on what I wanted.

it's small, very compact and quiet. almost a laptop in desktop form. the dell inspiron i3646-2600BLK with an intel pentium J2900 four core processor at 2.41GHz (2.66Ghz in burst mode) 4 GB of DDR3L RAM at 1600MHz. not too shabby huh? has a dvd multidrive, four usb 2.0 ports and one usb 3.0 port and a very spacious 500GB serial ATA/300 hard drive. pretty good kumquats, huh?
the monitor? I got the last one they had. an AOC 19.5" LED screen. also for a twenty spot got a sony headphone with neodymium drivers to use with my new computer. so, that be my new hardware. :)

an old single-core intel pentium 4 at a still respectable 2.8GHz. a miniscule by today's standards 80GB ATA 7200rpm hard drive, dvd-rom drive that still be a workin', a cd-rw drive that no longer works and a dead as a door nail floppy drive. a measly 1 GB of DDR RAM. (PC3200)

it's small, very compact and quiet. almost a laptop in desktop form. the dell inspiron i3646-2600BLK with an intel pentium J2900 four core processor at 2.41GHz (2.66Ghz in burst mode) 4 GB of DDR3L RAM at 1600MHz. not too shabby huh? has a dvd multidrive, four usb 2.0 ports and one usb 3.0 port and a very spacious 500GB serial ATA/300 hard drive. pretty good kumquats, huh?

oh...

also stopped at burger king on the way back and got some burgers and fries. :D

I was originally going to get the dell inspiron i3646-1000BLK with a dual core J1800 intel celeron processor...

but instead I wind up getting the dell inspiron i3646-2600BLK with a quad core intel pentium J2900 processor...

both computers are 64-bit but the intel pentium J2900 processor has a 2mb L2 cache. :D

a genuine nipkowdisc hardware update...

well, still be on my old clunker. before I shut down the old system I gotta find out my old tcm forums password. in the past when I've found it necessary to erase my hard drive, my password goes with all my browser recollections and that's why I've found it necessary a number of times to re-register with a new nick. since I doan wanna lose my beloved handle and that most excellent avatar not remembering my password. only have one notion of what my password be.
then after that shut down. wanna erase my hard drive before dumping this antiquating turkey. so if a slight absence insues, please bear with me. :)

yours truly,    

NipKowDisc

p.s. great news! I have remembered me password which means after I've erased everything, I'll be able to log in again as me, nipkowdisc, on my new machine.

now I forge ahead with erasure and shutdown.

bye for now

a genuine nipkowdisc hardware update...

well, still be on my old clunker. before I shut down the old system I gotta find out my old tcm forums password. in the past when I've found it necessary to erase my hard drive, my password goes with all my browser recollections and that's why I've found it necessary a number of times to re-register with a new nick. since I doan wanna lose my beloved handle and that most excellent avatar not remembering my password. only have one notion of what my password be.

then after that shut down. wanna erase my hard drive before dumping this antiquating turkey. so if a slight absence insues, please bear with me. :)

yours truly,    

NipKowDisc

p.s. great news! I have remembered me password which means after I've erased everything, I'll be able to log in again as me, nipkowdisc, on my new machine.

now I forge ahead with erasure and shutdown.

bye for now

it's me! back already. this led screen is rather brite. :)

I think the days of the old desktop be numbered. all they're a gonna be concerned about are the iphone ipad laptop gaming crowd. well, I couldn't hook up my old dvd multi burner because I needed two usb ports for the keyboard and mouse then two more for my printer and scanner and the remaining port for my external maxtor 200 GB hard drive. so I put my memorex dvd multi burner in the drawer for when needed. whatta I care? this thing has a super dvd multi burner. windows 8.1 ain't too bad after you switch to the traditional desktop. discarded my old clunker last nite. I was gonna remove the soundblaster card but there was a cable goin' somewhere and I didn't wanna delay myself too much so I just left it in there. erased the hard drive so all anybody's gonna get is 'error loading operating system'.

well, that be all for now...

fixin' on takin' a bath. :D 

... windows 8.1 ain't too bad after you switch to the traditional desktop...

:D

It's a good OS. Most problems with the 8.1 come from those who have upgraded to it from an earlier OS - and laptops. Factory installs in a desktop like yours are problem free for the most part.

oh, I know. I wanted to give you guys my computer story. started out with a packard-bell that had only a 6 GB hard drive and a cpu speed of just 333 mhz. then graduated to an emachines 633ids with a 633 mhz processor and a 15 GB hard drive. for years I saved that emachines 633ids literature even after it was gone then a couple of years ago got something in the mail about those old emachines having defective floppy drives and if I could prove ownership of the 633ids then they would give me a new PC...for free! but woe is me I had finally thrown out my old emachines literature. I coulda gotten one of their newer T series desktops. alas, not to a be. then came the dell dimension 3000 of which I ridded me self of last nite. and thereby hangs the cpu. :)