Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The most repeated song in the studio-era.

slaytonf

Anybody have an idea?  Maybe its The Star Spangled Banner, or Ave Maria, or, Danny Boy.

I have an idea.  I'll post the lyrics, and see if you can guess:

Frankie and Johnny were lovers.
Oh lordy, how they could love.
Swore to be true to each other,
Just as true as the stars above.
He was her man, but he done her wrong.

Got it yet?

It's played anytime anyone enters a speakeasy, saloon, or tavern.  Or when infidelity provides a theme for a movie.

Hmmmm...actually slayton, I'm thinkin' more "Auld Lang Syne" or maybe Stephen Foster's "Beautiful Dreamer" here.

(...and which were almost guaranteed to help stimulate the audience's tear ducts back in the day, ya know)

Hmmmm...actually slayton, I'm thinkin' more "Auld Lang Syne" or maybe Stephen Foster's "Beautiful Dreamer" here.

(...and which were almost guaranteed to help stimulate the audience's tear ducts back in the day, ya know)

I was would say Auld Lang Syne too, but it probably depends on what kind of movies you are into.  Many of the comedies that I like tend to have an evening that happens to be New Years Eve.  I suspect that it was one of L.B. Mayer's favorites too.

My money's on either "Happy Birthday" or "For He's A Jolly Good Fellow", however if there's any kind of graduation scene, then "Pomp And Circumstance" will definitely be played.  My other popular choice would be this:

That gets played or sung in just about every old movie with a college setting.

Chopin's Prelude in A major is used as background in many romantic films of the studio era. Listen to this short clip, you'll recognize it from such films as A Tale of Two Cities, Beloved Enemy, Devotion, etc.

I don't know how many baseball movies were made between 1930 and about 1955, but every one of them seemed to be introduced with "Take Me Out to the Ballgame".  It was the cliche to end all cliches.

And pretty much every war movie made between Pearl Harbor and V-J Day seemed to include "The Star-Spangled Banner", with "La Marseillaise" and "The Volga Boat Song" vying for the runnerup position.

"Isn't It Romantic?" was apparently used as background music in many films. The rights were very cheap.

That's definitely a contenda.

What always amused me was the way that in many Warner Brothers movies all the way up to the end of the 1930's, whenever there was a radio playing in the background of a domestic scene, the "over the air" tune was often one of the melodies from the classic Busby Berkeley musicals that WB produced in 1933.  "You're Getting To Be A Habit With Me" was one in particular that I remember that was used in several later films.

All a coincidence, I'm sure.

And while this isn't a candidate for most repeated song by any means, I absolutely loved the way that The Public Enemy's theme song was the old Burr & Campbell pop hit from 1919, "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles". This is beautifully melancholy tune that for some reason is now the theme song of the West Ham United soccer club in England!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings