Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Comedies with male co-stars with chemistry?

DownGoesFrazier

Can any male twosome top the comic chemistry between Peter Falk and Alan Arkin in THE IN-LAWS? They should have done more films together. Reminiscent of Lemmon and Matthau.

Laurel & Hardy rule.  But I suppose you meant a non-traditional comic team pairing.

Your examples may be the tops but here are a few others:

Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon in Some Like It Hot

Sean Connery and Michael Caine in The Man Who Would Be King - granted not strictly a comedy.

Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder, The Producers

Robert Redford and Paul Newman in Butch Cassidy and The Sting

Donald Sutherland and Gene Wilder in Start the Revolution Without Me

Donald Sutherland and Elliott Gould in MASH

Elliott Gould and George Segal in California Split

Paul Giamatti and Thomas Hayden Church in Sideways

I saw THE IN LAWS today (DVR) and laughed my head off. I thought the same thing-- they should have made more movies together!

I've always thought these pairs were awesome together and should have made more movies together (in addition to those previously mentioned):

Bing & Danny Kaye in WHITE CHRISTMAS

James Stewart & Cary Grant in THE PHILADELPHIA STORY

I just found a DVD of three Sherlock Holmes movies from different eras. One was "Without a Clue" (1988), with Michael Caine as Sherlock and Ben Kingsley as Watson. The twist was that Watson was the clever one and Sherlock was a total dimbulb. It brought out the ham in both of them and they were hysterically funny together.

I also loved Robin Williams and Nathan Lane in Mike Nichols' "The Birdcage". The scene where Williams tried to teach Lane to walk like John Wayne was priceless.

• Like 1

They would be considered a traditional comedic duo and wouldn't qualify for this thread I should think.  Wuz splained beelow - by yourself 

Not really. Laurel and Hardy, and Abbott and Costello would fall into that category. Hope and Crosby, like Lemmon and Matthau, happened to be teamed in a number of films. They also worked often individually.

This might rise the ire in some of the more narrow minded in here, but----

I thought TONY CURTIS and JERRY LEWIS worked well together in a thing called BOEING, BOEING!

Then also, GEORGE SEGAL and JANE FONDA in the original FUN WITH DICK AND JANE.

And, I've never really seen one, but some have told me those SIDNEY POITIER/BILL COSBY pairings were pretty good.

Sepiatone

This might rise the ire in some of the more narrow minded in here, but----

I thought TONY CURTIS and JERRY LEWIS worked well together in a thing called BOEING, BOEING!

Then also, GEORGE SEGAL and JANE FONDA in the original FUN WITH DICK AND JANE.

And, I've never really seen one, but some have told me those SIDNEY POITIER/BILL COSBY pairings were pretty good.

Sepiatone

I believe that Jane Fonda may be a female.

Not really. Laurel and Hardy, and Abbott and Costello would fall into that category. Hope and Crosby, like Lemmon and Matthau, happened to be teamed in a number of films. They also worked often individually.

Maybe not as important as the Iranian nuclear talks but I tend to disagree.  If you are referred to as 'Hope and Crosby' you are a traditional comic duo.  Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello and Cook and Moore all had individual careers too.

Jeesh

Maybe not as important as the Iranian nuclear talks but I tend to disagree.  If you are referred to as 'Hope and Crosby' you are a traditional comic duo.  Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello and Cook and Moore all had individual careers too.

Jeesh

When you attend a Bud Abbott or Oliver Hardy film festival, let me know.

Yeah, but how many times can one watch "The Fighting Kentuckian", eh Bogie??? ;)

Stan and Ollie made lots of silents before they became a pair.  It's time to bow out of this.  I have to get back to the nuclear bargaining table.

ciao for niao baby

I saw THE IN LAWS today (DVR) and laughed my head off. I thought the same thing-- they should have made more movies together!

I've always thought these pairs were awesome together and should have made more movies together (in addition to those previously mentioned):

Bing & Danny Kaye in WHITE CHRISTMAS

James Stewart & Cary Grant in THE PHILADELPHIA STORY

Great choices! I swear, my favorite scene in The Philadelphia Story is between Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant when Jimmy Stewart shows up drunk at Cary's.  A tour de force for both actors. "Champagne  --  it's a great leveler. It makes you my equal. Not quite. Well, almost my equal." Also love Bing and Danny Kaye in White Christmas: "My dear partner, when what's left of you gets around to what's left to be gotten, what's left to be gotten won't be worth getting, whatever it is you've got left. When I figure out what that means, I'll come up with a crushing reply."

Perfect chemistry.

Lydecker

• Like 2

Kind of an obscure one by now is Tough Guys (1986).

Burt Lancaster • Kirk Douglas • Charles Durning • Alexis Smith • Dana Carvey

Two elderly gangsters are released from prison only to find they have trouble fitting in as old men who still take no guff from anyone.

Two train robbers just out of 25-30 years in prison for robbing the "Gold Coast Flyer".  Anyone remember that?

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings