Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Whales of August Tonight

Hibi

Just a reminder.  Whales of August is on tonight. Unsure if its a TCM premiere, but if not it hasnt been on in many years. Last film of Lillian Gish, and the last full performance of Bette Davis (as she quit the film she started after that) I think it may be Ann's last role as well. And her only Oscar nomination. A very good night of films overall with Cry Havoc on later and 3 Wives before.......

• Like 2

Thank You Hibi for the reminder. I had forgotten that was all on tonight and looking forward to watching all the films. I haven't seen Cry Havoc in years.

Yeah, me either! Wish I didnt have to work tomw (LOL).......

It's been years since I saw Whales of August. With all the talk that this film receives about the performances of the ladies, let's not forget, either, the charming contribution made by an elegant Vincent Price as a courtly gentleman.

I recall quite liking Vinny in this film. I look forward to seeing this film again.

Sadly (though not too surprisingly, considering their ages) all four stars of this film would be dead within six years of the film's release. It's fortunate that they were able to collaborate on this effort towards the end, a final memorable swan song for all involved.

• Like 1

Sadly (though not too surprisingly, considering their ages) all four stars of this film would be dead within six years of the film's release. It's fortunate that they were able to collaborate on this effort towards the end, a final memorable swan song for all involved.

Three out of four, actually. Ann Sothern died in 2001.

I agree about Vincent Price in this film. His performance here will be a revelation to those who know him only from those bad horror movies in the '50s and '60s.

Three out of four, actually. Ann Sothern died in 2001.

I agree about Vincent Price in this film. His performance here will be a revelation to those who know him only from those bad horror movies in the '50s and '60s.

Thanks for the correction about Ann Sothern. It was, however, her final film appearance, as it was for Lillian Gish, and next to last for Davis. Price only had a handful of film appearances after this one, looking sadly quite physically feeble in Tim Burton's Edward Scissorhands.

It's been years since I saw Whales of August. With all the talk that this film receives about the performances of the ladies, let's not forget, either, the charming contribution made by an elegant Vincent Price as a courtly gentleman.

I recall quite liking Vinny in this film. I look forward to seeing this film again.

Sadly (though not too surprisingly, considering their ages) all four stars of this film would be dead within six years of the film's release. It's fortunate that they were able to collaborate for this effort towards the end.

I was going to profile WHALES on my 'Tomorrow' thread but went instead with CHUBASCO. Reason? Because while WHALES is a TCM premiere, it is out on home video whereas CHUBASCO has never had a VHS or DVD release. Plus, according to MovieCollector's records dating back to 2002, CHUBASCO has not aired in at least 13 years on TCM (possibly longer).

In fact, this entire last evening of Annie's Star of the Month tribute is loaded with seldom-played, seldom-seen titles. DULCY hardly ever airs on TCM; THREE HEARTS FOR JULIA last aired back in September for Melvyn Douglas' tribute but before that heaven knows how long it had been; and FAST AND FURIOUS (sorry Vin Diesel fans but this baby has Franchot Tone in his last MGM film) is a rarity of sorts, too.

The only MGM film that remains M.I.A. from Annie's reportoire is JOE AND ETHEL TURP CALL ON THE PRESIDENT-- a political satire that paired her with William Gargan and Lewis Stone as the prez (an FDR knockoff?).

A good movie that I watched on Amazon Prime a few weeks ago.  Incredible to think that Lilian Gish was 93 when she appeared in The Whales of August.  I will be watching again tonight.  Like watching a Who's Who of Old Hollywood.

If I am not mistaken, I believe it was Price's only Oscar nod. They're all wonderful in this picture.

I was going to profile WHALES on my 'Tomorrow' thread but went instead with CHUBASCO. Reason? Because while WHALES is a TCM premiere, it is out on home video whereas CHUBASCO has never had a VHS or DVD release. Plus, according to MovieCollector's records dating back to 2002, CHUBASCO has not aired in at least 13 years on TCM (possibly longer).

In fact, this entire last evening of Annie's Star of the Month tribute is loaded with seldom-played, seldom-seen titles. DULCY hardly ever airs on TCM; THREE HEARTS FOR JULIA last aired back in September for Melvyn Douglas' tribute but before that heaven knows how long it had been; and FAST AND FURIOUS (sorry Vin Diesel fans but this baby has Franchot Tone in his last MGM film) is a rarity of sorts, too.

The only MGM film that remains M.I.A. from Annie's reportoire is JOE AND ETHEL TURP CALL ON THE PRESIDENT-- a political satire that paired her with William Gargan and Lewis Stone as the prez (an FDR knockoff?).

Price? You mean Ann? Price was not nominated for this film.........

Thanks for the heads up. This film wasn't on the schedule in the "Now Playing" magazine so I didn't

even know TCM was showing it till I saw the post. I should always check the daily schedule as too many times the schedule on the "Now Playing" magazine changes.

Thanks for the heads up. This film wasn't on the schedule in the "Now Playing" magazine so I didn't

even know TCM was showing it till I saw the post. I should always check the daily schedule as too many times the schedule on the "Now Playing" magazine changes.

Yes, it wasnt listed originally when they posted the Ann SOTM schedule. It was added later (was so happy about that!) It pays to check the daily schedule.......

Yes, it wasnt listed originally when they posted the Ann SOTM schedule. It was added later (was so happy about that!) It pays to check the daily schedule.......

Exactly. Though I think Barton updated the information in the Star of the Month sub-forum (another good place to check for schedule changes).

"When ANN SOTHERN was asked during the filming of The Whales of August, in 1986, how she compared her career to that of her two iconic costars, Lillian Gish and Bette Davis, she said, "Well, they are the queens and I suppose I'm a movie princess." But both movie queens held the princess in the highest regard...."

article on the film: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-kaplan/the-queens-and-the-prince_b_6901088.html

"The New York Times cited WHALES as "One of the Best Films of the Century." It will be a TCM Premiere on Wednesday, March 25, at 10:00 PM (ET)."

whales_of_august1.jpg

I've never seen this movie before and am looking forward to it.

I believe it is the last movie of ... Vincent Price.

Price's last screen appearance actually came in 1990's "Edward Scissorhands." He has a small role as a kindly mad scientist who gives Depp his unusual appendages and dies before he can give him real hands. it is a very apt and touching swan song.

his voice was also in a curious animated feature called (i think) "the thief and the cobbler" (?) it was an extremely troubled and ambitious production that saw a limited release after his death. he plays (who else?) the villain.

I have to say that I'm kind of irked they're airing "Cry Havoc!" at something like 3 in the morning.

That's one that should have totally gotten the 8 p.m. primetime slot, especially since they've had the commercial promoting it on all week long.

"a letter to three wives" has been shown enough times in the last couple of years.

I have to say that I'm kind of irked they're airing "Cry Havoc!" at something like 3 in the morning.

That's one that should have totally gotten the 8 p.m. primetime slot, especially since they've had the commercial promoting it on all week long.

"a letter to three wives" has been shown enough times in the last couple of years.

Originally, THREE WIVES wasn't on the schedule three months ago...but it was added later on. It's a good film, and it was an Oscar nominee for best picture. So I can see why they wanted to lead off with it.

CRY HAVOC is also very well made. 

Originally, THREE WIVES wasn't on the schedule three months ago...but it was added later on. It's a good film, and it was an Oscar nominee for best picture. So I can see why they wanted to lead off with it.

to be honest with you: I can't stand "a letter to three wives"

we had a pretty lengthy and interesting discussion about it when it was first shown on TCM something like 2 years ago and if I recall correctly we were all a little bit divided on how we felt about it.

although I suppose one could argue how successful film is is correlated with just how long you can spend arguing over it after its done.

Price's last screen appearance actually came in 1990's "Edward Scissorhands." He has a small role as a kindly mad scientist who gives Depp his unusual appendages and dies before he can give him real hands. it is a very apt and touching swan song.

his voice was also in a curious animated feature called (i think) "the thief and the cobbler" (?) it was an extremely troubled and ambitious production that saw a limited release after his death. he plays (who else?) the villain.

Thanks, LHF, for this information.

I actually almost watched EDWARD SCISSORHANDS on DVD this past weekend.

well what did you guys think?

I thought it was absolutely lovely to behold (great cinematography!) and simple- certainly not a lot happened...in fact I'm not really sure there was enough story there to justify the movie, but I felt like it pulled things together quite well at the end, which was powerful.

neither of the leads was really given enough material to push their performances into the territory of greatness, but I did enjoy Ann Sothern and Vincent Price quite a bit. it was nice that she got nominated, but he was deserving as well.

Man alive though, Bette was in full Cryptkeeper territory in this thing. I half expected her to do the fiendish laugh and start making bad puns.