Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Whales of August Tonight

Hibi

The start time is 1:45 AM Eastern on June 24.

It appears the June 23 online schedule.

It would figure they'd schedule it when most people are asleep...............

OMG! I barely recognize her.........

Back in the day (especially in the UK) Helen Mirren was known for showing some skin in her movies.

The British version of the TV series COUPLES that used to air on PBS had a number of references to "Helen Mirren movies."

She's a classically trained actor who has performed many Shakespearean roles and also a very beautiful woman.

Here's the infamous Parkinson interview:

And here is the reprise many years later: 

Back in the day (especially in the UK) Helen Mirren was known showing some skin in her movies.

The British version of the TV series COUPLES that used to air on PBS had a number of references to "Helen Mirren movies."

She's a classically trained actor who has performed many Shakespearean roles and also a very beautiful woman.

Here's the infamous Parkinson interview:

And here is the reprise many years later: 

Love her almost as much as I love Hepburn and Dietrich...As a middle-aged woman, I appreciate that she is unapologetically sexy and sexual at 60+. She hasn't let herself get pegged in roles like those in The Queen or Woman in Gold.  I am a shameless fan of action movies (well, clever(ish) ones anyway) and adored (is that too strong a word? Nah) her in Red and Red 2.  I need to get a hold of some of her earlier stuff--I think the only thing I've seen that was done before the 90's is Excalibur.

Love her almost as much as I love Hepburn and Dietrich...As a middle-aged woman, I appreciate that she is unapologetically sexy and sexual at 60+. She hasn't let herself get pegged in roles like those in The Queen or Woman in Gold.  I am a shameless fan of action movies (well, clever(ish) ones anyway) and adored (is that too strong a word? Nah) her in Red and Red 2.  I need to get a hold of some of her earlier stuff--I think the only thing I've seen that was done before the 90's is Excalibur.

traceyk, you might enjoy the DVD collection HELEN MIRREN AT THE BBC which features some of her early work on British television.

51wdiaXCIAL.jpg

You might also like THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY (1980) with Helen Mirren and Bob Hoskins. 

the-long-good-friday.jpg

I recommend 'The Long Good Friday' (1980)

Also, the very dark 'The Comfort of Strangers' (1990)

I thought she was quite wonderful in '2010' (1984) as the obstinate and mistrusting Russian astronaut. My favorite character in that one.

I recommend 'The Long Good Friday' (1980)

Also, the very dark 'The Comfort of Strangers' (1990)

I thought she was quite wonderful in '2010' (1984) as the obstinate and mistrusting Russian astronaut. My favorite character in that one.

For Dame Helen Mirren I would add these to that list:

Where Angels Fear to Tread (1992)

The Madness of King George (1992)

Gosford Park (2001)

Hitchcock (2012)

First movie I ever noticed Mirren in was 'Hussy' (1980). It ran on the pay-tv channel shortly after pay-tv began here in Canada (First Choice, SuperChannel - yay!)

Anyway, I'd never seen her before (that I remembered) but I sure noticed her big bare breasts in 'Hussy'. I would come to know that she did a fair amount of nudity often. Not a shy one, that Helen.

She looked really good in 'Caligula' (1979) - which I finally saw about 5 years ago. Hard core version too. That's one wild movie.

First movie I ever noticed Mirren in was 'Hussy' (1980). It ran on the pay-tv channel shortly after pay-tv began here in Canada (First Choice, SuperChannel - yay!)

Anyway, I'd never seen her before (that I remembered) but I sure noticed her big bare breasts in 'Hussy'. I would come to know that she did a fair amount of nudity often. Not a shy one, that Helen.

She looked really good in 'Caligula' (1979) - which I finally saw about 5 years ago. Hard core version too. That's one wild movie.

Yes Helen Mirren was quite known for baring her skin in movies especially in the UK.

CALIGULA is one of those movies that I want to see but have not yet.

Yes Helen Mirren was quite known for baring her skin in movies especially in the UK.

The hard-core sex is the ruination of an otherwise fascinating film.

Only the 70's could have produced something like that, though. How I love the courage of filmmaking from then.

The hard-core sex is the ruination of an otherwise fascinating film.

Only the 70's could have produced something like that, though. How I love the courage of filmmaking from then.

Yes, American  movies from the 1970s (especially before the blockbuster mindset took hold): you have to love them . . . or at least I do.

i Netflixed it a few years back out of curiosity. Watching the film is something akin to what i imagine having a 300 lb. person sit on your face for over two hours is like.

Its ugly, its heavy, and when its over, you wonder if you can ever look at the world the same way again.

Not to mention a pe nis. Man, were they huge.

Yes. And I agree with your earlier statement, the sudden (and often oddly placed) insertions of hardcore scenes in the middle of what is otherwise a relatively straightforward political epic are weird and belittle the efforts of the actors and director.

and they really do not in any way blend with the rest of the story at all. A moment of rather serious dialogue or plot will all of a sudden be interrupted by some hardcore scene, and then boom right back to the dialogue. it's like watching SPARTACUS at a film festival where a very confused projectionist keeps accidentally adding reels from DEBBIE DOES DALLAS.

• Like 2

i Netflixed it a few years back out of curiosity. Watching the film is something akin to what i imagine having a 300 lb. person sit on your face for over two hours is like.

Its ugly, its heavy, and when its over, you wonder if you can ever look at the world the same way again.

Now I'm second guessing whether I should watch CALIGULA.

I'll see if it's still on Netflix streaming.