Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Let The Right One In (2008)

roverrocks

A very unique Swedish take on the classic tale of a vampire.  The angst of a 12 year old mortal boy and the angst of a 12 year old vampire girl of indeterminate "age" who find each other in modern Sweden.  Unlike any other vampiric tale you have ever seen. 

• Like 2

I borrowed both of these from the library...and preferred the Swedish one. I suggest borrowing the DVD rather than watching it on TV if it has commercial breaks-it'll ruin the dark, foreboding atmosphere.

A movie that has "stuck" with me, a great testament. 

• Like 2

I have seen the English-language remake, Let Me In, which I thought was excellent. Can I assume that the original is equally excellent?

In my opinion, 'Let Me In' is the better of the two movies. I'll give the Swedish film an 8; the American adaptation gets a 10.

Outstanding movie about vampirism. Horrifying and sympathetic in equal measure.

• Like 1

I have an opposite rating, prefering the Swedish version over the American one by a wider margin. 

I found myself nitpicking the American one to pieces. 

For example, I know that the American one received mucho dinero by filming in New Mexico, and for claiming the locale was in New Mexico, but the need for such wintry conditions simply don't exist there.  If this film had been set in, say, Montana, then the frozen lakes and long nights would have been geographically appropriate.  New Mexico's winters are simply too sunshiny and the nights aren't nearly long enough.  The filmmakers took the money and hoped the natives and NM fans wouldn't notice.

Fortunately, I think fans should see both.  I saw the original one first, then a many-month delay before the American version arrived, then I rewatched the Swedish one soon thereafter. 

• Like 2

I loved the Los Alamos location. It felt wonderfully suitable to such a darkly-themed narrative. I also loved the 1983 timeline and the supportive infrastructure to that. I actually feel like I'm in 1983 when I'm watching this film.

So many things I like about the American adaptation. Maybe if I was a Swede I'd feel different, but it's the American version that mesmerizes me, and that's the version I recommend to anyone who asks.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw only the Swedish version, as well as the play based on it, both of which I liked very much.  In the Swedish film, there is a split second scene is which the girl (Eli) morphs into an old woman, whilst she's sucking someone's blood. The implication (to me, anyway) is that appearing as a child is better for business -- people will trust her.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I saw only the Swedish version, as well as the play based on it, both of which I liked very much.  In the Swedish film, there is a split second scene is which the girl (Eli) morphs into an old woman, whilst she's sucking someone's blood. The implication (to me, anyway) is that appearing as a child is better for business -- people will trust her.

I haven't seen this movie, though I'd like to, I think you're right about appearing as a child--people are far more trusting of a child. Though I suppose if she appeared to be a sweet old lady that would work too. Having read Interveiw with a Vampire and the first few of the Anita Blake books by Laurell K Hamilton, I would think being a child vampire would be hell. You'd be hundreds of years old in your head, but your body would still be that of a child and you'd be hindered by the limitations of your size and apparent age. Does this film expolre that at all?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings