Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Golden era outtakes?

overeasy

I was musing on this the other day.  In a day and time when outtakes have become fodder for TV shows and movie closing credits -- I wonder how often directors and producers, back in the studio system, "printed" scenes that were busts?  Admittedly, they had the money to waste some negative, but did the stars and the studios look down on this.  

Just wondering...

I was musing on this the other day.  In a day and time when outtakes have become fodder for TV shows and movie closing credits -- I wonder how often directors and producers, back in the studio system, "printed" scenes that were busts?  Admittedly, they had the money to waste some negative, but did the stars and the studios look down on this.  

Just wondering...

There are several collections of Warner Bros outtakes/bloopers with Cagney, Davis, Flynn, et al... These were printed to be shown at the annual WB Christmas party.

A number of classic TV shows have blooper reels: Star Trek, Dick Van Dyke, Mary Tyler Moore, Get Smart, Bonanza, etc... One of the funniest is for, of all things, Emergency.

Many of the Warner Bros. bloopers that were printed are available on YouTube. Here's Breakdowns of 1941 as an example:

[media]

[media]

[media]

[media]

It's funny. Watching those first bloopers that appear, from Torrid Zone, even though she doesn't appear in them, you can hear the distinctive throaty laughter of Ann Sheridan on the set.

(By the way, based on these outtakes, "God damn" appears to be the favourite expletive used by many actors when they flub a line.)

Personally watching Pat O'Brien in these made me like him a lot more. He's a lot of fun.

I agree. O'Brien looks like he was always ready to joke around. He and Jimmy Cagney were good pals for years, as we all know. However, it's my understanding that Cagney was the more serious of the two off screen. O'Brien was definitely more of a "glass half full" kind of guy as opposed to the more pessimistic Cagney.

The other thing that I noticed in these outtakes is how easily Ann Sheridan laughed, further confirming the reports that she was, with cast and crew, easy to get along with (no matter what her money wars were with Jack Warner).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings