Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Betty Grable

speedracer5

I just got my satellite installed last week and knew I now had the package with Fox Movie Channel-- a channel that often airs classic Fox films (so says people on this board).  After finally finding the channel in my guide, imagine my excitement to find out that Fox was airing a mini-marathon of Betty Grable films!  Grable's day during SUTS last year was by far my favorite.  I think I watched like 4-5 Grable films in a row that day.

They were airing:

I Wake Up Screaming

A Yank in the RAF

Sweet Rosie Grady

Pin Up Girl

The Shocking Miss Pilgrim

I recorded all of them except I Wake Up Screaming which I've already seen.  I haven't watched them yet, but I'm excited. 

Prior to Grable's SUTS day, my only real knowledge of her career was How to Marry a Millionaire and her appearance as herself in an episode of The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour.  I also knew that she dated Desi Arnaz before he married Lucille Ball at the end of 1940. 

I first started watching Grable's SUTS day when TCM aired a film she made with Bob Hope and Martha Raye called Give Me a Sailor.  While Hope and Raye were definitely the stars of the film, I really liked Grable.  That day, I also watched: The Dolly Sisters, Meet Me After the Show, Down Argentine Way, Mother Wore Tights and Coney Island.  I think The Dolly Sisters was my favorite of the films I saw that day.

What I love about Grable, is while she's a good musical performer, I find her a very capable actress and more than just a pair of "million dollar legs."  While musicals were definitely her niche, I thought she did well in comedy (like 'Millionaire') and noir (I Wake Up Screaming).  It's a shame she didn't make many films outside of the musical genre-- which I do enjoy, I don't have an aversion to them.  I love that her characters are typically strong, sassy, but sweet.  She was definitely an "America's Sweetheart" but not in an overly saccharine no personality way.

While I hope that TCM gains more access to her films and eventually makes her SOTM (which she definitely deserves) I'm glad that I now have Fox Movie Channel to supplement TCM!

• Like 1

Make sure you keep checking Arturo's thread because he's tireless about listing upcoming films on the Fox Movie Channel. Don't even bother with their website, though. There's nothing even close to what's happening here. And be advised that they show altered prints of some films from the widescreen era. But no commercials and, boy, do they have some great films in their vault.

There's a cute Betty Grable musical from Columbia, after she left Fox: "Three For the Show" (1955) with Jack Lemmon and Marge and Gower Champion. Well worth checking out, especially to see Jack Lemmon sing and dance.

• Like 1

Make sure you keep checking Arturo's thread because he's tireless about listing upcoming films on the Fox Movie Channel. Don't even bother with their website, though. There's nothing even close to what's happening here. And be advised that they show altered prints of some films from the widescreen era. But no commercials and, boy, do they have some great films in their vault.

There's a cute Betty Grable musical from Columbia, after she left Fox: "Three For the Show" (1955) with Jack Lemmon and Marge and Gower Champion. Well worth checking out, especially to see Jack Lemmon sing and dance.

...which Lemmon never did in any other film?

I just got my satellite installed last week and knew I now had the package with Fox Movie Channel-- a channel that often airs classic Fox films (so says people on this board). After finally finding the channel in my guide, imagine my excitement to find out that Fox was airing a mini-marathon of Betty Grable films! Grable's day during SUTS last year was by far my favorite. I think I watched like 4-5 Grable films in a row that day.

They were airing:

I Wake Up Screaming

A Yank in the RAF

Sweet Rosie Grady

Pin Up Girl

The Shocking Miss Pilgrim

I recorded all of them except I Wake Up Screaming which I've already seen. I haven't watched them yet, but I'm excited.

Prior to Grable's SUTS day, my only real knowledge of her career was How to Marry a Millionaire and her appearance as herself in an episode of The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour. I also knew that she dated Desi Arnaz before he married Lucille Ball at the end of 1940.

I first started watching Grable's SUTS day when TCM aired a film she made with Bob Hope and Martha Raye called Give Me a Sailor. While Hope and Raye were definitely the stars of the film, I really liked Grable. That day, I also watched: The Dolly Sisters, Meet Me After the Show, Down Argentine Way, Mother Wore Tights and Coney Island. I think The Dolly Sisters was my favorite of the films I saw that day.

What I love about Grable, is while she's a good musical performer, I find her a very capable actress and more than just a pair of "million dollar legs." While musicals were definitely her niche, I thought she did well in comedy (like 'Millionaire') and noir (I Wake Up Screaming). It's a shame she didn't make many films outside of the musical genre-- which I do enjoy, I don't have an aversion to them. I love that her characters are typically strong, sassy, but sweet. She was definitely an "America's Sweetheart" but not in an overly saccharine no personality way.

While I hope that TCM gains more access to her films and eventually makes her SOTM (which she definitely deserves) I'm glad that I now have Fox Movie Channel to supplement TCM!

I WAKE UP SCREAMING was an early attempt by 20th Century Fox to vary the Grable formula, even then jelling as she completed her first year of real stardom. Depsite her effectiveness in this early noir, she would resist future films of this nature, most notably a decade later, when she refused to do the part played by Jean Peters in the excellent if brutal noIr PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET.

A YANK IN THE R.A.F. saw the studio team their top male star, Tyrone Power, with their soon to be top female star, Betty. Wartime heroics combined with a romantic triangle angle. Of course, Grable played a showgirl, so that a couple of songs could be worked in for Betty's growing legions of fans.

SWEET ROSIE O'GRADY is a fun, partial remake of the 1937 screwball, LOVE IS NEWS. Set in the Gay (18)90s, a publicity still from either this film or her previous one, CONEY ISLAND, became the iconic shot that made her the top pin up, and top female star, of the war years.

So of course she had to star in PIN UP GIRL, where she returns to modern dress, in a popular but not very inspired vehicle. But it kept her fans happy and the tills busy.

THE SHOCKING MISS PILGRIM was another attempt to vary the formula, and get her away from backstsge musicals. Another period piece, this gentle film posited the shocking premise of Grable as a stenographer. The songs were woven into the plotline. A good try, but the grosses were less than hoped.

Speedracer, hope you enjoy your new schidzophrenic channel. It is criticized for the heavy rotation of a few titles; you will see similar Grable tributes, with similar lineup of films, fairly frequently. But enjoy!

• Like 1

I WAKE UP SCREAMING was an early attempt by 20th Century Fox to vary the Grable formula, even then jelling as she completed her first year of real stardom. Depsite her effectiveness in this early noir, she would resist future films of this nature, most notably a decade later, when she refused to do the part played by Jean Peters in the excellent if brutal noIr PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET.

A YANK IN THE R.A.F. saw the studio team their top male star, Tyrone Power, with their soon to be top female star, Betty. Wartime heroics combined with a romantic triangle angle. Of course, Grable played a showgirl, so that a couple of songs could be worked in for Betty's growing legions of fans.

SWEET ROSIE O'GRADY is a fun, partial remake of the 1937 screwball, LOVE IS NEWS. Set in the Gay (18)90s, a publicity still from either this film or her previous one, CONEY ISLAND, became the iconic shot that made her the top pin up, and top female star, of the war years.

So of course she had to star in PIN UP GIRL, where she returns to modern dress, in a popular but not very inspired vehicle. But it kept her fans happy and the tills busy.

THE SHOCKING MISS PILGRIM was another attempt to vary the formula, and get her away from backstsge musicals. Another period piece, this gentle film posited the shocking premise of Grable as a stenographer. The songs were woven into the plotline. A good try, but the grosses were less than hoped.

Speedracer, hope you enjoy your new schidzophrenic channel. It is criticized for the heavy rotation of a few titles; you will see similar Grable tributes, with similar lineup of films, fairly frequently. But enjoy!

Thank you Arturo.  I really liked I Wake Up Screaming.  I watched it on the recommendation of Dargo.  While I can't say I'm that big a fan of Victor Mature (I'm sorry, there's something about his face that bothers me!) I really liked the film and thought that Grable and Carole Landis were excellent.  I think Fox really had the noir niche cornered in the 1940s-1950s.  I look forward to seeing more of their titles.  Last year, when they aired the Gene Tierney/Dana Andrews marathon, I watched two more fox noirs: the (at the time) premiere of Laura (which I loved!) and Where the Sidewalk Ends.  I love the grittiness of the Fox noirs. 

I'm looking forward to the other Grable features that I recorded.  If Fox Movie Channel plays more Grable films, I won't mind.  Looking at her filmography on imdb, she was quite prolific during the peak of her career.  If Fox can play at least one Grable film I haven't seen, I'll be happy. 

Right now I'm watching The Shocking Miss Pilgrim--so far so good.  I'm liking the costumes and I like that he women are fighting back against the sexism.  It was also fun to see Elizabeth Patterson (aka Miss Trumbull from "I Love Lucy") as Grable's landlord.

Fox tends to run the same movies much more frequently than TCM.

Also, they have older movies from 3AM ET till 3PM and usually without commercials.  3PM till 3 AM is more recent movies with commercials.

Enjoy!

Thank you Arturo.  I really liked I Wake Up Screaming.  I watched it on the recommendation of Dargo.  While I can't say I'm that big a fan of Victor Mature (I'm sorry, there's something about his face that bothers me!) I really liked the film and thought that Grable and Carole Landis were excellent.  I think Fox really had the noir niche cornered in the 1940s-1950s.  I look forward to seeing more of their titles.  Last year, when they aired the Gene Tierney/Dana Andrews marathon, I watched two more fox noirs: the (at the time) premiere of Laura (which I loved!) and Where the Sidewalk Ends.  I love the grittiness of the Fox noirs. 

I'm looking forward to the other Grable features that I recorded.  If Fox Movie Channel plays more Grable films, I won't mind.  Looking at her filmography on imdb, she was quite prolific during the peak of her career.  If Fox can play at least one Grable film I haven't seen, I'll be happy. 

Right now I'm watching The Shocking Miss Pilgrim--so far so good.  I'm liking the costumes and I like that he women are fighting back against the sexism.  It was also fun to see Elizabeth Patterson (aka Miss Trumbull from "I Love Lucy") as Grable's landlord.

I WAKE UP SCREAMING is also in heavy rotation on "Movies", usually very late Saturday nights.