Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HAMMER NOIRS: BEST PRIME TIME LINEUP OF THE YEAR (SO FAR, ANYWAY)

AndyM108

Has anybody been catching these Hammer Noirs tonight?  I'm recording the last two for later viewing, but if they're half as good as the first two it'll make for the best Prime Time lineup of the year.  Paid To Kill has it all:  Atmosphere, treachery, and plot twists galore, with outstanding performances by the entire cast.  All I can say about these movies is "Give us more, more, more!"

P. S. Does anyone else find Dane Clark and Richard Conte to be almost like separated at birth twins?  Maybe not identical twins, but close enough.

68333.jpgrichard-conte-1-sized.jpg

They showed some of these last year...ones directed by Terence Fisher. I created a thread about that in the noir sub-forum on June 16, 2014. Here is what played that evening:

1. BLACKOUT (1954) with Dane Clark

2. MAN BAIT (1952) with George Brent & Diana Dors

3. STOLEN FACE (1952) with Paul Henreid & Lizabeth Scott

4. THE UNHOLY FOUR (1954) with Paulette Goddard

I think tonight's schedule had been planned for earlier in the year but then was postponed because of a memorial tribute...right?

They showed some of these last year...ones directed by Terence Fisher. I created a thread about that in the noir sub-forum on June 16, 2014. Here is what played that evening:

1. BLACKOUT (1954) with Dane Clark

2. MAN BAIT (1952) with George Brent & Diana Dors

3. STOLEN FACE (1952) with Paul Henreid & Lizabeth Scott

4. THE UNHOLY FOUR (1954) with Paulette Goddard

I think tonight's schedule had been planned for earlier in the year but then was postponed because of a memorial tribute...right?

yes, tcm did get a little creatively frisky tonite with the hammer noirs. have they ever shown barbara payton in the four-sided triangle?

Has anybody been catching these Hammer Noirs tonight?  I'm recording the last two for later viewing, but if they're half as good as the first two it'll make for the best Prime Time lineup of the year.  Paid To Kill has it all:  Atmosphere, treachery, and plot twists galore, with outstanding performances by the entire cast.  All I can say about these movies is "Give us more, more, more!"

P. S. Does anyone else find Dane Clark and Richard Conte to be almost like separated at birth twins?  Maybe not identical twins, but close enough.

Oh yeah, I've noticed this alright, Andy.

However, did YOU notice while watching and especially listening to Zachary Scott in "Dead on Course" which followed Dane's British Noir run tonight, how much Zack SOUNDS so much like George Brent when he speaks?

(...now THAT I've never noticed before) 

However, did YOU notice while watching and especially listening to Zachary Scott in "Dead on Course" which followed Dane's British Noir run tonight, how much Zack SOUNDS so much like George Brent when he speaks?

I resemble that remark!!!

The only one I was able to catch was the first in the line-up, Heat Wave. I have to say, I thought Heat Wave was pretty luke-warm.

I did enjoy watching it while it was going on, but as soon as it was over, I realized how mediocre it was (anyone else ever have that experience?)

It felt like almost a paint-by-numbers imitation of several classic noirs. Notably Double Indemnity, Gilda, (in terms of the protagonist's friendship with the husband of the woman he desires), and even a touch of Lady from Shanghai.

But it wasn't anywhere near as good as any of the above. It felt like the story and characters had been crammed into a "noir box", with all the elements checked off. (Alluring, untrustworthy woman who betrays, aka femme fatate /  unbridled lust for said woman / not so cleverly disguised murder / innocent and much preferable to the femme fatale woman daughter of targeted man...)

But it all feels pasted together, somehow.

Also, the title: If this is supposed to be the Lake District in England, it is not prone to experiencing heat waves. And the leading lady was so ice cold, shirley we weren't supposed to think she was generating a heat wave of her own. (But I think we're supposed to believe she was.)

Poor old Sid James. He was the only sympathetic character in the whole thing.

I wish I'd had a chance to watch the later Hammer noirs last night. They had to be better than Heat Wave.

Good observation.  I'll listen for that when I watch the movie.   I only watched the first two last night and recorded the next two.

Zachary Scott was one of those almost daintily mustachioed / handsome yet slightly effeminate archetypes who thrived in the 40's, but pretty much disappeared from the screen in later decades. They were just handsome enough to play gigolos to middle aged women, but not studly enough to avoid being cuckolded when they were cast as husbands.  Both of these stereotyped appearance traits lent them to be aptly cast as cads in noirs like Mildred Pierce and Danger Signal on the one hand, but also as a chump in such films as Born to Be Bad and The Unfaithful.

Watched the first one and it was good, but not great.  Think I have seen it before.  Did record the others, but they sound familiar as well.  Haven't watched them yet.

Hillary Brooke also played Vern Albright's girlfriend on My Little Margie TV series.

Apparently there are several more "Hammer Noirs" available on DVD's if anyone is interested.

This would've been a good slate for Friday nights. Too bad it wasnt. Even if the films arent all that great, they are usually interesting enough (cast, story,direction etc.) to watch. (once, anyway!)

This would've been a good slate for Friday nights. Too bad it wasnt. Even if the films arent all that great, they are usually interesting enough (cast, story,direction etc.) to watch.

No question they would have been a big improvement over those godawful and overplayed "roadshow" movies they've been running this month.  Thank God for basketball.

No question they would have been a big improvement over those godawful and overplayed "roadshow" movies they've been running this month.  Thank God for basketball.

LOL. One more night......what is next month's theme?

LOL. One more night......what is next month's theme?

The Special Effects man A. Arnold Gilliespie.  If there's a single TCM premiere in the lot, I've yet to locate it.  Thank God for baseball.

• Like 1

The Special Effects man A. Arnold Gilliespie.  If there's a single TCM premiere in the lot, I've yet to locate it.  Thank God for baseball.

LOL. Oh well.............I need to catch up on my recorded programs..........

Naw----

Don't even look like possible BROTHERS!

However, Clark always kinda reminded me(although the AGE difference would be opposite in real life) like he could be, or at least play  ANTHONY FRANCIOSA'S kid brother!  IF ya get my drift!

Sepiatone

I watch most of these Hammer noirs and they were OK,  but I didn't find any of them to be more then that.   Still this was a good night of programming since it was full of often shown films,  corny musicals or stale dramas.    

Naw----

Don't even look like possible BROTHERS!

However, Clark always kinda reminded me(although the AGE difference would be opposite in real life) like he could be, or at least play  ANTHONY FRANCIOSA'S kid brother!  IF ya get my drift!

Sepiatone

Yeah, that I could see..........

I think they used to say Dane Clark was a poor man's John Garfield.  Those Hammer noirs are all  pretty modest films and released in the USA by Lippert  Films, probably at the bottom of the bill.  I liked THE GAMBLER AND THE LADY better than PAID TO KILL.  GAMBLER had a better cast and director Terrence Fisher who worked on many horror films at the studio. Most of these films run about 75 minutes with at least one  American  star.  Clark  was still around in the early 90s  as I got his autograph at a function in Beverly Hills which other old time stars attended.