Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

watched amc last nite

NipkowDisc

they had the first two national lampoon vacation movies on, chopped up of course but still enjoyable. european vacation is a lot funnier than it is given credit for. plenty of clever scenes like clark at the top of the eiffel tower characterizing a desire to relieve himself as a creative urge to produce art.

my favorite scene is when the griswold's are in the train compartment. an overlooked film. siskel & ebert trashed it. :)

I haven't watched AMC since they ran their first commercial. There's nothing I want to see that badly. There's too many other options nowadays and no  reason to watch commercial-loaded, heavily edited, versions on AMC.

• Like 4

AMC Super-bosses:  "We exist for the express purpose of showing commercials". 

Hapless movie viewer:  "But 'AMC' stands for 'American Movie Classics' doesn't it?"

AMC Super-boss reply:  "Ok.  Yeah.  Well, we'll, uh ,try and throw in some movie parts after our next batch of commercials are over.  Howzat grab ya?"  ;)

What a totally useless channel. 

• Like 1

I think THE ONE issue that we posters stand united on (with no exceptions) is our unmitigated contempt for AMC.

We may stand divided on recent films airing in TCM, overplayed titles, the accuracy of Osborne, the necessity of Manksy, the star of the month selections, the scheduling, the aspect ratios and print quality of what gets shown; but when it comes to AMC we're all on the same page: it sucks

• Like 3

I think THE ONE issue that we posters stand united on (with no exceptions) is our unmitigated contempt for AMC.

We may stand divided on recent films airing in TCM, overplayed titles, the accuracy of Osborne, the necessity of Manksy, the star of the month selections, the scheduling, the aspect ratios and print quality of what gets shown; but when it comes to AMC we're all on the same page: it sucks

Great post. I think you have summarized it exactly right.

Well, I agree that most of us on these boards have contempt for AMC, but unfortunately the facts seem to prove that the vast majority of TV viewers don't.

Since it's change of format AMC has garnered big ratings, earned Emmys for its original shows (none of which I've watched) and made so much money that, with it's almost bottomless pockets, it can outbid any other network (including TCM) for just about any movie it wants badly enough.

The cable industry considers it a success story, but I consider it something else which the auto-censor probably won't let me say.

• Like 1

Wrong!  Don't assume everybody thinks like you; a mistake a certain political party makes.

I like AMC and often watch it and they show movies TCM will never show.  Mad Men is great.  Best way to start Sundays is to watch couple of episodes of Mad Men.  Can't wait for the final season.  Then start over again On Demand.

Yes I would prefer no commercials and older movies, but if they don't make a profit, they go out of business.

I won't watch a movie on AMC under any circumstances due to film cuts and commercials.  Some stations (especially the ones that run old comedy shows) are just unwatchable due to so many commercial breaks.  Yes, as much as we complain about TCM sometimes it is beyond comparison to hatchet-job AMC.  However, I love Mad Men and Walking Dead and Better Call Saul so I watch AMC then but I usually record those shows, start watching them about halfway through (and then catch up in real time by fast-forwarding through commercials) or very soon after they end and then ff through the commercials.  I understand the financial need for basic cable and network tv to run commercials but the frequency bugs me.

Yeah, if there's nothing on TCM I wish to look at, and if all the OTHER channels don't have anything that catches my interest, a "chopped up" version of "European Vacation" ( and I too, agree it's a bit underrated) is FAR better than ANY episode of "PROPERTY BROTHERS"!

My wife and I think it's kinda cute when either:

Audrey looks at that HUGE knockwurst sausage at the German's dinner table and laments on how much she MISSES her boyfriend!

And of course, the appearances of ERIC IDLE are always fun, too.

Then there's Clark furiously working his electronic "translator" when the British hotel clerk starts speaking "English"!

Sepiatone

Wrong!  Don't assume everybody thinks like you; a mistake a certain political party makes.

You're right, none of us should assume we speak for everybody about anything. However,  I would guess that on these boards most people feel the way the OP does. Of course, those of us who post here make up only a small fraction of TCM's  total audience so nobody really knows what the majority thinks.

Whether it's movies or politics everyone is free to choose what they want. I personally don't watch movies that have been cut or have commercials, but others aren't bothered by that (my wife included) and are free to watch what they want. As long there's a choice it's fine with me.

You're right, none of us should assume we speak for everybody about anything. However,  I would guess that on these boards most people feel the way the OP does. Of course, those of us who post here make up only a small fraction of TCM's  total audience so nobody really knows what the majority thinks.

Whether it's movies or politics everyone is free to choose what they want. I personally don't watch movies that have been cut or have commercials, but others aren't bothered by that (my wife included) and are free to watch what they want. As long there's a choice it's fine with me.

I'm one that only watches some of AMC TV shows (e.g. Love Mad Men)  but not movies except when I happen to stumble onto a movie I like while channel surfing.  But as soon as the commercial break comes I hit the remote.

I'm exceptionally bored this weekend and nothing on TCM at the moment catches my fancy; so I've actually been sitting through several episodes of "The Walking Dead" on AMC just so I can see what the fuss is about.

Man: talk about a snoozer!

I think the scripts for every episode of this thing must be two thirds ellipses: the dialogue is SO slow and halting. Pinter plays have nothing on this thing!

RICK

"come on everybody....we have to get going....."

(Long pause)

DARYL

"....why...?"

(Longer pause)

RICK

"Because that's what we do."

(Pause)

DARYL

"....what....?"

(REALLY LONG PAUSE)

RICK

"We keep moving....."

(Pause)

DARYL

"Why?"

RICK

"Because we're survivors...."

(FADE OUT)

combined with the really really really horrific violence I'm starting to wonder exactly who this show appeals to besides John Birch Society fantasists who like to see the world as a great big shooting gallery.

• Like 2

If I have to record a movie from one of those channels, I use a PC editing program to slice it up and patch it together, so I don't have to sit there in real time with the clicker.  The funny thing I noticed was that for the last couple movies I did that way, the timeline on the editor resembled a piece of logarithmic graph paper, with the larger divisions on the left and the smaller divisions on the right.  Maybe two or three decent commercial breaks in the first third, but as it went on the commercials near the end weren't even a minute long.  As I got near the end it was visually difficult to tell the difference between commercial and movie.  Very annoying to edit, let alone watch.  Probably somewhere around 20 breaks in all.  That is no way to watch a movie.  Really.

• Like 1

Didn't want to start a new thread about another network, so posting the info here.

COZI-TV will begin airing episodes of MY FAVORITE MARTIAN on Monday Arril 6 at 7:30 pm. It's the Bill Bixby, Ray Walston tv show many of us watched in the '60's. It's Season1 episode1 :)

What was funny one time, while watching a rerun of the PICKET FENCES TV show on which Walston played a judge, a case before him had the defendent claiming he was not a living being from Earth, but rather from some other extraterrestral domain.  The prosecutor said something about not thinking it right to allow a defense based on the "claim of being a MARTIAN!"  The defendent burst out that, "I don't believe in MARTIANS!" to which Walston, as the judge, yelled out, "Either do I!" and ordered the trial to resume.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

What was funny one time, while watching a rerun of the PICKET FENCES TV show on which Walston played a judge, a case before him had the defendent claiming he was not a living being from Earth, but rather from some other extraterrestral domain.  The prosecutor said something about not thinking it right to allow a defense based on the "claim of being a MARTIAN!"  The defendent burst out that, "I don't believe in MARTIANS!" to which Walston, as the judge, yelled out, "Either do I!" and ordered the trial to resume.

Sepiatone

:D;)

I cannot watch AMC as the long and frequent commercials drive me nuts. Several years ago I tried to watch "Our Little Girl" with Shirley Temple. It aggravated the hell out of me. I swore I'd never watch it again and I haven't.

I also hate the supposedly nostalgia TV stations Nick At Nite and TV land. They both began showing

older classic TV shows from the 50's and 60's but somewhere along the line they started marathon runs of Friends, Everyone Loves Raymond" and the King of Queens. Over and over they play the same programs. On weekends it's hours and hours and hours of Roseanne. I wonder what morons are in charge of programming at these stations. No variety and yet frequent and over long commercial breaks.

I've stopped watching these stations long ago. I keep waiting for some change of programming but it remains the same week after week, month after month.

By the way, for those posters who might suggest I get some other nostalgia TV stations I don't have the extra money to go up any more tiers on my cable. I pay more than enough just for the privilege of receiving TCM.

• Like 4

I cannot watch AMC as the long and frequent commercials drive me nuts. Several years ago I tried to watch "Our Little Girl" with Shirley Temple. It aggravated the hell out of me. I swore I'd never watch it again and I haven't.

I also hate the supposedly nostalgia TV stations Nick At Nite and TV land. They both began showing

older classic TV shows from the 50's and 60's but somewhere along the line they started marathon runs of Friends, Everyone Loves Raymond" and the King of Queens. Over and over they play the same programs. On weekends it's hours and hours and hours of Roseanne. I wonder what morons are in charge of programming at these stations. No variety and yet frequent and over long commercial breaks.

I've stopped watching these stations long ago. I keep waiting for some change of programming but it remains the same week after week, month after month.

By the way, for those posters who might suggest I get some other nostalgia TV stations I don't have the extra money to go up any more tiers on my cable. I pay more than enough just for the privilege of receiving TCM.

With you 100% on this. How about TVLAND airing 30 minute episodes in a forty minute time slot. The shows are already cut. Must be twenty minutes of commercials for each show now.

• Like 1

Why would you assume the programmers at these stations are morons just because they show content you don't like?    They are only moron if their station isn't making a profit.   The same with having too many commercials.    That makes them more money so the trick is too not have so many commercials that it impacts their ratings.

With you 100% on this. How about TVLAND airing 30 minute episodes in a forty minute time slot. The shows are already cut. Must be twenty minutes of commercials for each show now.

I'm in unapologetic (and perhaps too devoted) fan of "the golden girls" and I'm continuously grateful to all the people who've posted complete episodes of the show on youtube using tricks to avoid copy right laws like slightly speeding up the audio or adding a digital picture frame...because at least the episodes are complete and entire.

shown on TV Land or the Hallmark Channel, episodes of the show are hacked to bits with misplaced music cues that oftentimes start in the middle of the character's dialogue (cutting them off) and entire plot points removed- which often compromise the continuity of the show. and sometimes the best jokes and one liners have been taken out.

as it is, each episode is only about 23 minutes, and when you manage to cut 3 minutes from that, you're entering the territory of butchery.

I really don't know why anyone would want to watch a television show that they like on any of these networks they are so severely edited, and for no purpose other than to cram an extra 5 commercials in.

is disrespectful to everyone involved: the makers and the fans.

• Like 2

If I don't start watching a series at the very beginning, or shortly thereafter, or if the reruns are not easily available, I tend not to watch it at all.  So I never saw Breaking Bad or Mad Men.  I suppose at some point I should watch the last 2 1/2 seasons of The Sopranos, but I've been too busy watching movies to do so.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings