Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

movie star cards

Back in the early part of this century, collectable cards came with cigarettes. They were especially big in England and Germany and came in all sorts of topics--everything from "Household Hints" to "Poultry" to "Clan Tartans" to various sports stars.

One of the biggest topics was Film Stars. I bought a set on a whim last year and got hooked. My favorites are like little works of art--pastel or watercolor-like portraits of the stars or scenes from movies of the 20's and 30's, with info about the star or movie on the back. Here is a link to a site that specializes in them, if you want to look:

http://www.moviecard.com/

Oops. Another reason they are interesting (to me anyway) is they are like a sort of snapshot of pop culture of the times. They portrayed the most popular stars and movies of the day, which aren't necessarily those that we today would consider "great."

These are really interesting! I've seen them in multiple books about Classic Hollywood, but I've never seen a place where you could buy them. I usually only see them on eBay. I now am so excited for Christmas! Thanks for sharing. - Gina

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone remember the Dixie Ice Ceam Cup lids? I believe it was either in the 1940s or 1950s, and under each lid you would peel off a film of paper and underneath was a picture of a movie star. They were being sold on Ebay last year.

Mongo