Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cynthia Lennon (1939-2015)

Cynthia Lennon, the first wife of the late rock great John Lennon, has died of cancer at the age of 75. She was the mother of Julian Lennon, who had some success himself as a recording artist in the 1980s.

She has become the third of the original four Beatles spouses to pass away. Maureen Starkey, who was married to Ringo Starr from 1965 to 1975, died of complications from leukemia in December 1994. Paul McCartney's first wife Linda died of cancer in April 1998.

George Harrison's first wife, Pattie Boyd, celebrated her 71st birthday in March.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-32153908

Here's an interview she did on British television 20 years ago:

Cynthia Lennon, the first wife of the late rock great John Lennon, has died of cancer at the age of 75. She was the mother of Julian Lennon, who had some success himself as a recording artist in the 1980s.

She has become the third of the original four Beatles spouses to pass away. Maureen Starkey, who was married to Ringo Starr from 1965 to 1975, died of complications from leukemia in December 1994. Paul McCartney's first wife Linda died of cancer in April 1998.

George Harrison's first wife, Pattie Boyd, celebrated her 71st birthday in March.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-32153908

Here's an interview she did on British television 20 years ago:

She was the helpless spouse who watched Yoko Ono worm her way into his life.

She was the helpless spouse who watched Yoko Ono worm her way into his life.

She seemed to be very unlucky at times. During the early stages of Beatlemania, John's marital status was kept a secret from the public. I wonder if she understood that or if it made her feel like a nonperson.

Also, did John ever write a song for or about her? I can think of several that he wrote about Yoko Ono.

Then there's the classic story about how she couldn't keep up with John while the Beatles and their significant others were rushing to catch a train en route to a 1967 retreat with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in Wales:

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1967/08/25/the-beatles-travel-to-bangor/

LOL. What does Obama have to do with it????

I have a feeling it's a reference to the perception that the President gets blamed by the opposition party for everything bad.

I have a feeling it's a reference to the perception that the President gets blamed by the opposition party for everything bad.

LOL. I was thinking that, but wasnt sure..........

it's become a pretty funny recurring joke on the internets: "thanks Obama" is a catchphrase wherein you are blaming our current president for something over which he had absolutely no control. not wanting to derail the thread with anything remotely political one way or the othern just for larfs.

( however it is funny to go to Bing images and look up images and GIFs for "thanks Obama.")

however- and again realizing I'm getting into iffy territory here- it is my understanding that our current president is quite a fan of drone strikes.

I know where Yoko lives in NYC (it's a very popular tourist destination) and it seems like it would be a pretty easy thing to accomplish. (and now that Betty Bacall is no longer one of her neighbors, it's not like there would be any serious collateral damage.)

it's become a pretty funny recurring joke on the internets: "thanks Obama" is a catchphrase wherein you are blaming our current president for something over which he had absolutely no control. not wanting to derail the thread with anything remotely political one way or the othern just for larfs.

( however it is funny to go to Bing images and look up images and GIFs for "thanks Obama.")

LOL. OK, I get it. Thought that was the case.......:D

however- and again realizing I'm getting into iffy territory here- it is my understanding that our current president is quite a fan of drone strikes.

I know where Yoko lives in NYC (it's a very popular tourist destination) and it seems like it would be a pretty easy thing to accomplish. (and now that Betty Bacall is no longer one of her neighbors, it's not like there would be any serious collateral damage.)

LOL. The Dakota? Yoko must be in her 80s by now..........

I used it myself here - saying "Welcome to Obama's America" in a post as a joke (the post I was responding to had nothing whatsoever to do with politics - it may have been about not being able to find spumoni ice cream or something). Somebody took it seriously and reprimanded me.

Careful you don't get suspected of promoting terrorism.

Yep. Mission accomplished. If I was a woman I don't

think I'd want to be married to Lennon. Sounds like

a jerk or a stupid get, just like Sir Walter Raleigh.

Damn, turns out Obama broke up the Beatles

when he was just nine years old. Damn. :)

John cheated on his wife with many, many women before Yoko came into the picture and with women once Yoko was his girlfriend (the most famous time being the night Nixon won the election).

Hey, I'm not much of a fan of Yoko  (reminds me too much of my mother!),  but she can't be blamed for the break-up of the marriage.

As for your line from I'm So Tried;   I always felt this was related to having an addiction for cigarettes (Raleigh being a fairly popular brand at the time).      But if that is way off I would like to know what John was trying to get at (assuming he was trying to get at anything).

Damn, turns out Obama broke up the Beatles

when he was just nine years old. Damn. :)

Oh SURE, Vautrin!

Go ahead and remind me here that our current POTUS is the first one I'm now older than!

(...and which is the sure sign one is gettin' up there in age!)

;)

John cheated on his wife with many, many women before Yoko came into the picture.

John also went on the record in an interview with PLAYBOY that he physically abused his first wife and son.

I saw a lot of that back in those days (mid 50's-mid 60's) in circumstances where the lads were "forced" (because of pregnancies) to marry girls that they didn't really want to marry.

Times have changed. Far fewer marriages now.

All of us have been "done wrong" at one time or another, but none of us have experienced the media frenzy pointing it out every turn of events. It must have been awful, especially during the Yoko media blitz. My heart always went out to Cynthia & Julian Lennon.

The only consolation must have been knowing the rest of the world's distaste of Yoko's "art" & John's personal conduct. 

yes thank you! I was trying to remember the name of the building.

coincidentally (or maybe not) it serves as the exterior for the apartment building in "Rosemary's Baby."

Yes, it was used to great effect in Rosemary's Baby (another film I wish TCM would show. Paramount again. They have shown it in the past....)

Yes, it was used to great effect in Rosemary's Baby (another film I wish TCM would show. Paramount again. They have shown it in the past....)

The Dakota is the most famous residential building in NYC, even without the Lennon murder. Celebs have always lived there in droves.

First it's the cops, then it's the prez. I'm older than Obama too. But there

is hope for us in 2016, when it's possible that we might again have a

president older than we are.

(Just toward the end of Revolution 9, if you listen very carefully, you

can hear a voice say Vote for me in 08 and again in 12.......I buried Mitt).

LOL.  Now I wonder who that might be?