Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

today's Marlon Brando Tribute doesn't include One Eyed Jacks (1961). it seems that this movie is being ignored for little reason, since it's in the Public Domain and is free as long as TCM has a copy they can show.

and it's a good movie which was directed by Brando, co-stars Karl Malden and isn't an ordinary western shoot 'em up. plus it's got some great shots of the Monterrey, Cal coast. overall, an underrated gem.

now, it's not so good that TCM has to overplay it, but each time the urge to air Guys and Dolls (1955) possesses a programmer, substitute One Eyed Jacks once in a while

They do overplay 'Guys and Dolls'. Big, splashy, colour-saturated musicals are a favorite with TCM - I think they consider those to be extra "classic".

If it were up to me, TCM would be a little less family-friendly in its daytime/primetime orientation. There'd be a boatload of complaints from the old guard if I did the programming.

They do overplay 'Guys and Dolls'. Big, splashy, colour-saturated musicals are a favorite with TCM - I think they consider those to be extra "classic".

If it were up to me, TCM would be a little less family-friendly in its daytime/primetime orientation. There'd be a boatload of complaints from the old guard if I did the programming.

Well there might be complaints by some at this forum but for all we know your type of programming might bring in new viewers. 

I would also like to see less musicals and more edgy programming especially after the sun goes down. 

The roadshow spotlight aside, we're going to continue to see an onslaught of musicals on TCM (which I like because I enjoy the genre)-- because MGM specialized in glossy musicals, and all of MGM's films are in the Turner/TCM library. So there's no getting away from it. They have to use what they own or have access to...simple as that.

• Like 1

Ha!

I don't see "LAST TANGO IN PARIS" in the lineup, either!  :P

MOVIES showed "THE CHASE" last night.  Always got a kick out of how brando had his character refer to BUBBA REEVES as "BUBBER".

Sepiatone

Why doesn't Turner Classic Movies show its excellent two-part biography "Brando: A TCM Original Documentary" (2007) anymore? Yet another reason why The Great Marlon deserves to be Star of the Month.

MOVIES showed "THE CHASE" last night.  Always got a kick out of how brando had his character refer to BUBBA REEVES as "BUBBER".

"Bubber" is the character's name

From the 1952 play script by Horton Foote:

Thh9hpP.png

"Bubber" is the character's name

From the 1952 play script by Horton Foote:

Thanks for pointing that out.    I watched The Chase on MOVIES-TV last night also and I wonder if it was related to how Brando talked in films or not.      Anyhow,   what a cast in this movie;  it was like everyone they could find was placed into it.   Older actors and younger ones.   

I'm enjoying watching the Marlon Brando birthday tribute.  Great actor.  I'm surprised On the Waterfront wasn't being shown today.

Also, I'd like to see One-Eyed Jacks.  I'd also like TCM to show The Men sometime....these are great Brando films.

I have never seen Bedtime Story either - Brando with David Niven and Shirley Jones.

Redford as an escaped convict somehow doesn't make it.

The original idea was for Brando to play Bubber. But by the time the film was finally produced he was deemed too old for the part, so the character of the sheriff was built up for him.

i liked The Chase (1966). but others, including cast and critics, didn't. i've read that there were problems in production and execution. however, it's mostly accusations to me. there doesn't appear to be much explanation or detail to the complaints.

is there anyone or some internet source that outlines what these problems were? and how they resulted in a scrambled mess?

of course, what's central is Brando and his idiosyncratic personal/professional role in the making of the movie.

Nobody at that time had seen enough of Redford to know that he was miscast.

Valid point since Redford had only been in two Natalie Wood movies and one so-so comedy Situation Hopeless when this movie was released.     But he was in numerous TV shows before that.        To me he did look out of place;  just too 'clean' for the part.  Kind of like Paul's Grandfather in A Hard Days Night.

i liked The Chase (1966). but others, including cast and critics, didn't. i've read that there were problems in production and execution. however, it's mostly accusations to me. there doesn't appear to be much explanation or detail to the complaints.

is there anyone or some internet source that outlines what these problems were? and how they resulted in a scrambled mess?

I don't know of one online. Try bios of Penn, Sam Spiegel, Brando, or maybe Lilian Hellman.

Hellman wrote a very sanctimonious public letter denouncing the film, which is curious since her script is one of its biggest problems. And Penn is not without guilt himself -- compare The Chase to Hud and you can see the total phoniness and soap-opera absurdity.

of course, what's central is Brando and his idiosyncratic personal/professional role in the making of the movie.

While Brando does not give the film's worst performance -- I think that must go to good ol' Henry Hull as the wandering Greek chorus -- he's not really anything to write home about. Personally among the huge cast I actually thought Angie Dickinson came off best.

While Brando does not give the film's worst performance -- I think that must go to good ol' Henry Hull as the wandering Greek chorus -- he's not really anything to write home about. Personally among the huge cast I actually thought Angie Dickinson came off best.

While making the film, Brando quipped to someone "all I do is walk around".

I believe that it's the town getting carried away with the craziness of the night that mostly bothered critics. Seemed excessively irresponsible.

I think Robert Duvall gives the best performance, though Angie Dickinson was fine as well. Rarely mentioned is Jocelyn Brando's almost wordless contribution as Henry Hull's wife. I always liked her in everything she was in.

By the way, I think James Fox was far more miscast than Redford.

Re:  ONE-EYED JACKS (1961).  At one point in the 1980s Paramount released it on video.  I didn't think Paramount let their movies slide into the 'Public Domain', but who knows?  The video I bought was released in 1981 so I reckon there's been plenty of time for "One-Eyed Jacks" to go 'public'. 

MARLON BRANDO's part in 'SUPERMAN' is so small it'd hardly be worth it to include on a tribute day to Marlon. 

Marlon had a bigger part in "THE MISSOURI BREAKS".  I've read after filming was over for the day Marlon would sometimes endeavor to catch grasshoppers in the evenings.  I can even recall a part of Leonard Maltin's 'BOMB' review.  Makes me chuckle.  "A jumbled, excessively violent pseudo-event".  I like the part where Marlon wonders aloud how come so many of his rich, powerful employers can't seem to hold on to their women.  I admit I don't know what the hell a "pseudo-event" is . . . ?  (But I do like that review!). 

I also enjoyed his performance in 'THE FORMULA', which is a suspense thriller told in a suspenseless manner.  It's so damn straightforward.  Still, I liked it the 2nd time I saw it more than the first time.  Maybe it's because I'm older now.  My 2nd viewing was last year when I was 41 and I reckon it had been about 10 years prior when I saw it the first time.

TopBilled:  I've seen 'THE APPALOOSA' once.  I rather enjoyed it and would watch it again, but it is a slowly-paced movie.  It gradually builds up a bit of suspense.  Marlon's great line (to me, anyway): 

"This time, I'm gonna kill Chuy", who was played by John Saxon. 

I don't know why Universal is so stingy when it comes to leasing out their movies, but 'THE NIGHT OF THE FOLLOWING DAY' is another Universal picture starring Marlon B. I've never seen aired anywhere.     

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

And don't forget Marlon in 'THE NIGHTCOMERS'.  I've no idea who owns the rights to it, but it was released on video circa 1986/87 on 'CHARTER ENTERTAINMENT', an offshoot of 'Embassy Home Entertainment'.  I never did buy the tape, but I've seen it around.

(Sidenote:  A movie that has aired on TCM not too long ago was released on 'CHARTER ENTERTAINMENT'.  This movie I did buy on tape, but many moons ago:  PICTURE MOMMY DEAD (1966).  I was surprised to see it pop up late at night on TCM). 

Anyway . . . it's time for me to go find a "pseudo-event" to watch!  :)