Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Getting The Best Years of Our Lives on the Big Screen?

BYOOL Fan

My all-time favorite movie is The Best Years of Our Lives (BYOOL). I am 50 years old and was raised by movie buffs. I have religiously watched classic films, but probably didn’t see BYOOL until 10-15 years ago. I first watched it because of it’s military theme, but it was the performances and quality of production that made me a huge fan. I recently saw Rear Window on the big screen and have been exploring ways to bring BYOOL to the big screen. My first thoughts were to try and book a local theater and have it shown on Veterans Day 2015. I discovered Tugg, a company that helps book films in theaters. They help indie films as well as some classics. They did respond, but weren’t able to get BYOOL for me. Although the film was/is an MGM property, the DVD release is through WB. Not sure of the connection there, but emailed WB with no response. Wrote a letter to Robert Osborne, but know he is under the weather.

The Best Years of Our Lives seems a “peoples” movie. It is one of the most reviewed movies on TCM and one of the most “searched” on TCM. It is one of the greatest films to ever come out of Hollywood. A timeless story, powerhouse performances and fabulous production should surely make this a candidate to be shown on the big screen again.

Any ideas? Other BYOOL fans feel the same way? I am open for suggestions. Maybe we could lobby for it to be shown as a Fathom event, and/or featured during the TCM Film Festival.  

Thanks!

• Like 1

It plays fairly regularly at the Eastman House's Dryden Theater on 35mm, so I know at least there's a screening copy available. If it wasn't scheduled between Christmas & New Years this past blizzardy winter, I would have definitely traveled to see it.

• Like 1

My all-time favorite movie is The Best Years of Our Lives (BYOOL). I am 50 years old and was raised by movie buffs. I have religiously watched classic films, but probably didn’t see BYOOL until 10-15 years ago. I first watched it because of it’s military theme, but it was the performances and quality of production that made me a huge fan. I recently saw Rear Window on the big screen and have been exploring ways to bring BYOOL to the big screen. My first thoughts were to try and book a local theater and have it shown on Veterans Day 2015. I discovered Tugg, a company that helps book films in theaters. They help indie films as well as some classics. They did respond, but weren’t able to get BYOOL for me. Although the film was/is an MGM property, the DVD release is through WB. Not sure of the connection there, but emailed WB with no response. Wrote a letter to Robert Osborne, but know he is under the weather.

The Best Years of Our Lives seems a “peoples” movie. It is one of the most reviewed movies on TCM and one of the most “searched” on TCM. It is one of the greatest films to ever come out of Hollywood. A timeless story, powerhouse performances and fabulous production should surely make this a candidate to be shown on the big screen again.

Any ideas? Other BYOOL fans feel the same way? I am open for suggestions. Maybe we could lobby for it to be shown as a Fathom event, and/or featured during the TCM Film Festival.  

Thanks!

It was shown at my condo a few years ago. No movie shown at my condo has gotten a smaller turnout. A very accurate indication of the type of people who live at my condo, and they are mostly SENIORS.

I could not resist making a comment here.  

The Best Years Of Our Lives is my favorite film of all time.  It is difficult for me to find the words to adequately describe my feelings for this movie.  There are so many things that I would say - all, at the very same time. 

The scene where Homer wakes up on the plane and ponders what he'll face back home (as dawn breaks through the clouds, while that music is heard in the background).....

The scene (and the music) where the taxi drives off, Homer raises one arm in farewell, and everyone notices his hooks for the first time.....

The scene where Al approves the loan for the serviceman who wants to buy a piece of land, after he had just told Homer to 'Take one for me' (piano lessons)......

The scene where Homer takes Wilma up to his bedroom, so that she could see 'what it would be like....' (the final image of a single tear coming from Homer's eye, always brings one to my eyes).....

The scene where Fred sits in the nose of the discarded airplane, reliving combat memories (as that music is heard in the background)......

Great screenplay, great cast, great direction (William Wyler's masterpiece, in my opinion), great cinematography,....  The music score by Hugo Friedhofer is magnificent and affects me deeply, every time.....

Like I said, there is so much that I could say about this movie.  I never get tired of seeing any part of it.  Seeing it on a big screen would be great experience for me.

OK, I'm done.  I have to take a break....!

• Like 3

Welcome aboard, first of all, Hookshot.

Can't say anything against what you call your "favorite movie of all time".  Don't know if it's MY "favorite", but, it's UP there!

And, that scene with Homer and Wilma you described, I also posted in this forum a FEW times how I start the "waterworks" each time I see it, too.  :P

Yeah, it'd be nice to see it on the 'big screen".  You'll just have to check out any theaters in your area that might do that sort of thing.

For instance, a friend of mine and I drove the 30 or so miles from our area to the Uof M campus in Ann Arbor, MI to see KING KONG on the big screen of a theater located on campus.  and, it WAS worth the trip!  This WAS way back in the pre-TCM and cable days, and it gave me a chance to see all the stuff they used to "cut out" of it for TV viewing.

Of course, now-a-days, and even back IN "the day", there WAS nothing needed to be cut out of TBYOOL, but STILL, seeing it on the big screen is ALWAYS a treat.

Seeing BEN HUR at Detroit's glorious Fox Theater was a treat, although I've SEEN it several times by then.

Same with CITIZEN KANE, THE WIZARD OF OZ, GONE WITH THE WIND and CASABLANCA.  All of those would have premiered in Detroit at that theater, and it was a nice trip back in time, sort of.  I wish you much luck in your endeavor!

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Re: Warners having the rights to a MGM film...

I believe in the 80s sometime, TIme Warner purchased MGMs film library. TCM is also part of Time Warner, which is how they're able to show the MGM films so often--they own the rights.

• Like 1

Because it did have a roadshow release in 1946, it would nice if they could do that again too.  

From Wikipedia:

Samuel Goldwyn's Oscar-winning postwar epic The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)  . . .

In a roadshow release, often a large-scale epic film would open in larger cities in an engagement much like a theatrical play or musical, often with components such as an overture, the first act, the intermission, the entr'acte, the second act, and the exit music. The overture should not be confused with the main title music. The overture, recorded on film without a picture (and years later, on tape), was always played before the beginning of the film, while the lights were still up and the curtains were still closed. (Most movie theatres until the 1980s had curtains which covered the screen, and which would open when the show actually began.) As the lights dimmed, the overture ended, the curtains opened, and the film began with its main title music and opening credits. Likewise, the exit music should not be confused with the end title music. The exit music, also recorded without a picture on film, was always played after the end of the film, while the lights were up and the curtains were closed. As the lights came on, the end title music ended, the curtains closed, and the exit music began.

Although the film was/is an MGM property, the DVD release is through WB. Not sure of the connection there, but emailed WB with no response. 

Ted Turner bought the pre-1986 MGM film library back in the mid-1980s. as part of that acquisition he acquired the RKO film library and the pre-1948 WB film library as well.. He started TCM with that film library.

When he merged his media empire with Time-Warner in the late 1990s, his film library was part of the merger and those films were merged with post-1948 Warners Bros. film library. The Warners Bros. film library was reunited and they acquired the pre-1986 MGM library (including a small number of UA titles) and the RKo film library making the entire film library one of the largest owned by a single studio.

While TCM is considered part of the Warner Bros. family, they no longer own the film library that started the channel. Warner Brothers Home Video now oversees their original film library and TCM has to rent the films they once owned. Contrary to popular opinion, they do not get a deal/break on the rental price despite being part of the WBros family.

The film played last year as part of the film festival to a very receptive crowd.  Mark Harris, the author of the book, Five Came Back, about directors John Ford, John Huston, William Wyler, Frank Capra and George Stevens, who all left behind directing careers to go to WWII, introduced the film.

Still, showing the film as part of a Fathom Events is a terrific idea!

• Like 2

Can't say anything against what you call your "favorite movie of all time".  Don't know if it's MY "favorite", but, it's UP there!

And, that scene with Homer and Wilma you described, I also posted in this forum a FEW times how I start the "waterworks" each time I see it, too.  :P

Yeah, it'd be nice to see it on the 'big screen".  You'll just have to check out any theaters in your area that might do that sort of thing.

For instance, a friend of mine and I drove the 30 or so miles from our area to the Uof M campus in Ann Arbor, MI to see KING KONG on the big screen of a theater located on campus.  and, it WAS worth the trip!  This WAS way back in the pre-TCM and cable days, and it gave me a chance to see all the stuff they used to "cut out" of it for TV viewing.

Of course, now-a-days, and even back IN "the day", there WAS nothing needed to be cut out of TBYOOL, but STILL, seeing it on the big screen is ALWAYS a treat.

Seeing BEN HUR at Detroit's glorious Fox Theater was a treat, although I've SEEN it several times by then.

Same with CITIZEN KANE, THE WIZARD OF OZ, GONE WITH THE WIND and CASABLANCA.  All of those would have premiered in Detroit at that theater, and it was a nice trip back in time, sort of.  I wish you much luck in your endeavor!

Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Thanks, Sepiatone,

I'll start paying attention to my local theaters to see if they ever show BYOOL on a big screen.  I remember going to see Bette Davis' The Letter on a large museum screen, back in the 1970s.  The opening scene where Bette empties the gun into her lover, brought a roar from the audience.  It didn't take ESP to know that everyone was thinking:  That's Bette!!  I'd forgotten how nice it is to view a classic movie on a large screen with an audience that has a common appreciation for the movie being shown.

I had recorded BYOOL on my sat dish provider's DVR, and played it endlessly.   A recent problem required that my dish box be replaced - thus, no more BYOOL (and I must wait until TCM shows it again in May so that I can record it again).  My regular DVD player has no sound, so I am just going to have to replace it and go ahead and get BYOOL on disc.  Until then, I can pretty much replay the whole movie in my mind, and not miss too many beats!

• Like 1

Quote:

"The film played last year as part of the film festival to a very receptive crowd.  Mark Harris, the author of the book, Five Came Back, about directors John Ford, John Huston, William Wyler, Frank Capra and George Stevens, who all left behind directing careers to go to WWII, introduced the film.

Still, showing the film as part of a Fathom Events is a terrific idea!"

That's great information!

I did not remember seeing the film from last years TCM Festival. There are so many neat events/movies that I didn't catch it on the highlights. Would be great as one of the premier events!

Thanks for all the great comments & ideas, please keep them coming!!!

Still, showing the film as part of a Fathom Events is a terrific idea!

I think that if TCM/Fathom teamed up for a Memorial Day or Veterans Day showing they would get a great turnout!

May have to start another thread!

• Like 1

I am with everyone on a Fathom Events for Best Years of Our Lives...since this will be the 70th anniversary of the ending of WWII it would be a great tribute to the veterans (of all wars) as the Best Years of Our Lives speaks to all veterans of all wars...that is what makes it so timely whether it's post Vietnam, or post- all the successive wars that followed.

I would recommend a double feature with maybe the Battle of the Bulge, Twelve O-Clock High or GI Joe for a searing set of films and messages that remind us all of what war is like to those outside its immediate zone and then were called to live with its aftermath.

I know I would go...in a heartbeat and drag several "millenials" with me just to remind them that while they are busy tweeting, posting and gabbing someone laid down their life so they could remain as ineffectual as they are at times.  

Just the other day I was talking to someone (30ish or mid thirties) about a March of Dimes event and they were clueless as to who Jonas Salk was, Albert Sabin or even that the March of Dimes relates to FDR...I was literally speechless.  

Oh Well, time to quit posting, blogging and typing, am waiting for Holiday Inn tonight.  Ah!!! Fred and Bing...and Irving Berlin.  How appropriate, a bunch of Easter Films and we have to wait for Bing Crosby to sing White Christmas to celebrate Passover on TCM.  Meanwhile Me-TV wishes Happy Passover every hour....interesting, no?

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings