Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Deep Sea Fishing - Is That Ty Power In This Short?

TomJH

This is Deep Sea Fishing, an interesting little ten minute curio filmed, I believe, in 1946, featuring famed archer Howard Hill (of Robin Hood fame) and Errol Flynn. Flynn is not named by the narrator due to contract stipulations with home studio Warners prohibiting appearances of this kind. (Curiously, though, his name appears in the opening credits).

But what drew my attention was the appearance of another unnamed individual at the 8 minute mark. He's merely referred to as a "lad" by the narrator but look at that face and, particularly, his smile. Is it not Tyrone Power?

Yes, I know this person has curly hair but, keep in mind, Power would soon be filming Captain from Castile in Mexico with permed hair, and it's known that Power was into deep sea fishing in Acapulco, where this short was filmed.

[media]

[media]

I've never heard that Power appeared in this short with Flynn, but the similarity in appearance of this person to Power is, at the least, quite remarkable. 

A warning, though: the visuals of this video are, unfortunately, pretty rough.

According to imdb.com, the short was filmed in 1952, although Flynn looks younger (and healthier) than he did in the 50s.  Before I read your complete description, I was watching at the 8-minute mark and thought, yeah, that guy looks something like Power. Once he smiled, I thought, whoa, now he really looks like Power. Then I read your comment about the smile.

Since Flynn was not named (for the reasons you mentioned), maybe Power was not named for a similar reason ... if that is him.  Interesting speculation. Thanks for bringing this up.

According to imdb.com, the short was filmed in 1952, although Flynn looks younger (and healthier) than he did in the 50s.  Before I read your complete description, I was watching at the 8-minute mark and thought, yeah, that guy looks something like Power. Once he smiled, I thought, whoa, now he really looks like Power. Then I read your comment about the smile.

Since Flynn was not named (for the reasons you mentioned), maybe Power was not named for a similar reason ... if that is him.  Interesting speculation. Thanks for bringing this up.

Deep Sea Fishing, along with Flynn's Cruise of the Zaca short, the latter sometimes shown on TCM, were both commercially released in the early '50s. However, both were filmed in the late '40s, Fishing being the earlier of the two, I believe. The Zaca short is certainly far more professional in its presentation, with Errol as narrator (the short is actually a combination of two schooner trips taken by Flynn, though the short is edited so as to make it appear like one).

I've never heard that Tyrone Power appeared in Deep Sea Fishing but the resemblance of that man in the short to Power, particularly when he smiles, is quite stunning.

Ya know Tom, I'm still not sure if "the lad" fishing there with Howard Hill is Ty or not, but yeah, when he smiles he sure does look a lot like him, doesn't he.

Btw, that wouldn't have been the very same "Howard Hill" who once warned the good citizens of River City about the dangers of playing pool, would it???

(...oh...wait...never mind...wrong "Hill", huh)

;)

Btw, that wouldn't have been the very same "Howard Hill" who once warned the good citizens of River City about the dangers of playing pool, would it???

Nah, I don't think so. This Howard Hill was an archer. The River City one was less of a straight arrow.

By the way, the Howard Hill of Deep Sea Fishing has also frequently appeared on TCM in the past in a short subject called Wild Boar Hunt where, once again, he gives a full demonstration of his archery prowess. Any guy who likes to hunt wild boars with a bow and arrow or similarly kill sharks, hauling them out of the water onto his boat, such as he does in this video, lived a considerably more macho lifestyle than I have ever thought of adopting. One paper cut and I'm crying for a nurse.

Nevertheless, I find it interesting to view a ten minute video like this, as a reflection of Errol Flynn's choice of companions and outdoorsy lifestyle. No surprise, really, considering the adventuring New Guinea and schooner travelling lifestyle of his youth. Flynn was always a sailor at heart.

But Ty Power also had a love of the sea and a schooner of his own, as well. That's why I wonder about the possibility that Power might have joined Flynn and Hill on this outing.