Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Happy Easter???

Sepiatone

Last night, the local PBS station, which usually does show "classic" movies on Friday nights( and being PBS, without comercial interruption), showed the 1961 movie "BARRABAS" with Anthony Quinn.  Halfway through, I, with a modicum of levity, switched over real quick to see what EASTER MOVIE FARE TCM might be regaling viewers with----and caught the beginning to THE WIZARD OF OZ!

Now, I just love TWOO, but not exactly does it come to mind when thinking of EASTER movies..NOR does "The Wild One" or "A Streetcar Named Desire"!

Now, too, as it WAS "good Friday" and I DID grow up in times when THIS DAY was set aside by the "big three"( and of course, at the time...the ONLY three!) to SHOW those biblical "epics", it was dissapointing to me that TCM didn't pick up the ball... Sure, there's a WHOLE DAY of religious, Christian aimed movies on during EASTER DAY, and sadly, when MANY of us will be TOO BUSY or NOT AT HOME to enjoy them.

DON'T suggest "setting up your DVR", as there ARE many of us who DON'T HAVE THE SERVICE( and don't really CARE to) since recording and watching them later ISN'T THE SAME as relaxing and watching them ON the day they're supposed to be helping us celebrate!  

TCM was certainly "butterfingered" this weekend!

Sepiatone

Last night, the local PBS station, which usually does show "classic" movies on Friday nights( and being PBS, without comercial interruption), showed the 1961 movie "BARRABAS" with Anthony Quinn.  Halfway through, I, with a modicum of levity, switched over real quick to see what EASTER MOVIE FARE TCM might be regaling viewers with----and caught the beginning to THE WIZARD OF OZ!

Now, I just love TWOO, but not exactly does it come to mind when thinking of EASTER movies..NOR does "The Wild One" or "A Streetcar Named Desire"!

Now, too, as it WAS "good Friday" and I DID grow up in times when THIS DAY was set aside by the "big three"( and of course, at the time...the ONLY three!) to SHOW those biblical "epics", it was dissapointing to me that TCM didn't pick up the ball... Sure, there's a WHOLE DAY of religious, Christian aimed movies on during EASTER DAY, and sadly, when MANY of us will be TOO BUSY or NOT AT HOME to enjoy them.

DON'T suggest "setting up your DVR", as there ARE many of us who DON'T HAVE THE SERVICE( and don't really CARE to) since recording and watching them later ISN'T THE SAME as relaxing and watching them ON the day they're supposed to be helping us celebrate!  

Sepiatone

I'm one that is glad that TCM limited Easter type programming to one day.     As discussed on this forum countless times, TCM programming has to appeal to multiple people with different tastes and preferences.    Balanced type programming means that no one will be 'happy' with the programming 100% of the time.

e.g.  some viewers would have wanted TCM to have scheduled Hot Spell on a continues loop all day Sunday!

I say this out of curiosity, not being critical. I've never understood why people think that way.  Because there are other things going on in my life, more often than not, I'll record TCM (or another channel for that matter) and watch it at my convenience. I don't feel any loss because I'm not watching it "live". I'd feel a lot more loss if I didn't have the ability to see it at all.

Certainly, there are people who, for any number of reasons, don't have recording capability and I'm not talking about them.  I mean the ones I know who do have a DVR or other recorder and won't use it because "it's not the same". I just don't get it. What am I missing?

• Like 1

I say this out of curiosity, not being critical. I've never understood why people think that way.  Because there are other things going on in my life, more often than not, I'll record TCM (or another channel for that matter) and watch it at my convenience. I don't feel any loss because I'm not watching it "live". I'd feel a lot more loss if I didn't have the ability to see it at all.

Certainly, there are people who, for any number of reasons, don't have recording capability and I'm not talking about them.  I mean the ones I know who do have a DVR or other recorder and won't use it because "it's not the same". I just don't get it. What am I missing?

I have to DVR most things as well, because seeing that TCM's programming is based around the Eastern Time Zone (e.g. Primetime programming starting at 8pm EST) many of the programs that I want to watch are on while I'm still at work, because I'm in Pacific Time Zone.  For me, the Primetime films start at 5pm, which is too early for me to settle down for the evening and start watching movies. 

For me, while I can understand the sentiment of wanting to watch things live and not seeing it after the fact, for me, this applies more to watching sports.  I don't like watching games after they've already happened and the result is already known.  If the game has already happened, and the winner/loser are already out in the open, it kind of ruins the game for me.  With movies though, while for the most part I have to DVR things in order to be able to see anything I want to see, I have had a few opportunities (mostly on weekends) where I've seen a specific "Essential" film or a Friday Night Spotlight or something like that that I've wanted to see and will run all my errands and complete other tasks in order to be ready at 5pm (or whatever time) to settle down for the night and watch movies. 

I understand both sides of this sentiment and for me, I have to do what I need to do in order to take best advantage of TCM's programming.

If the event isn't a live event (e.g. a sporting event),  I also don't understand the POV of 'it's not the same',  especially a movie that was made many years ago  (e.g. maybe there is somewhat of a point for a first run TV show).

Sepiatone

I just saw "Killing Jesus" the other night on the National Geographic channel. Who's idea was to star Kelsey Grammer as Herod the Great?  :lol:

kelsey-boss_20110730165018.jpg

I'm planning to watch "Interstellar" tonight on Pay=per-view.

I just saw "Killing Jesus" the other night on the National Geographic channel. Who's idea was to star Kelsey Grammer as Herod the Great?  :lol:

yeah, I woulda gone with Fred Thompson. :lol:

Sepiatone,

The Easter film KING OF KINGS is on TCM right now.

The Passover film, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS, will be on ABC later tonight.

AD - THE BIBLE CONTINUES mini-series starts tonight on NBC. The story begins right after the Crucifixion.

The three-hour KILLING JESUS will be on Fox News later tonight. This one is a little odd, receiving only bad reviews on IMDB.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3609402/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

Edited by FredCDobbs

Sepiatone,

AD - THE BIBLE CONTINUES mini-series starts tonight on NBC. The story begins right after the Crucifixion.

The three-hour KILLING JESUS will be on Fox News later tonight. This one is a little odd, receiving only bad reviews on IMDB.

Well he posted this in the OP:  "Sure, there's a WHOLE DAY of religious, Christian aimed movies on during EASTER DAY, and sadly, when MANY of us will be TOO BUSY or NOT AT HOME to enjoy them".

I have noticed that often when going to a relatives home for a holiday event the T.V. will be on a station showing programming related to said holiday but it is rather rude (anti-social) to just sit in front of the T.V. at a gathering.     So I see the POV that it makes more sense to show holiday themed movies a day or so before the actual holiday instead of on the actual holiday.

I'm one that is glad that TCM limited Easter type programming to one day.

Now if only they'd limit their Memorial Day and Pearl Harbor Day programming to one day each, or at least give us a break and show something beyond the same old predictable two dozen Hollywood movies every time.  When was the last time either of those two days had a movie that wasn't over 50 years old?

I've never seen either version of King of Kings or The Greatest Story Ever told.  As for the Nicholas Ray Kings, it's hard to take seriously a movie dubbed "I was a teenage Jesus."  One would think however, that showing Ordet on Easter would be a good TCM tradition.

Now if only they'd limit their Memorial Day and Pearl Harbor Day programming to one day each, or at least give us a break and show something beyond the same old predictable two dozen Hollywood movies every time.  When was the last time either of those two days had a movie that wasn't over 50 years old?

Well Andy all I have to say about WWII movies is this, you wouldn't be here today to complain if we hadn't won WWII and all those movies you are whining about boosted morale at home and moved the country to fight the war and make the materials that won the war.

As this is the 70th anniversary of VE Day I for one will watch them all..they never grow too old for me.  Thank you very much and to all, Happy Passover

Well Andy all I have to say about WWII movies is this, you wouldn't be here today to complain if we hadn't won WWII and all those movies you are whining about boosted morale at home and moved the country to fight the war and make the materials that won the war.

As this is the 70th anniversary of VE Day I for one will watch them all..they never grow too old for me.  Thank you very much and to all, Happy Passover

What a crock.    Andy's post wasn't political at all.    All he asked for was some more creative programming.

Sepiatone,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3609402/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

I already recorded "King of Kings" (1927) several years ago from TCM. The siilent version is ahead of its time, The New Testament on film (or video).  No other title dialogue is added - only passages, quite unique.  :)

hqdefault.jpg

Wonder how they did the special effect of making him have a "glow"?

hqdefault.jpg

What a crock.    Andy's post wasn't political at all.    All he asked for was some more creative programming.

Thanks, James.  And of course that was all I was doing.  I was objecting to the repetitiveness of the programming, not to the subject matter.

• Like 1