Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fake news items....

Sepiatone

No, this isn't a thread about FOX NEWS.

Back in "the day", some co-workers and I, when our production was done for the day, would travel to the roof of the plant, get high, and pass the time by making up false news stories.  Sometimes they were funny, acerbic, silly, but all FUN, nonetheless.

A few I recall...and bear in mind, this WAS in the early 1980's----

"This just in....The White House press corpse today is denying rumors that president Ronald Reagan is suffering from Alzheimer's disease.  The neurological malady that causes those inflicted to lose motor function and also causes cognizant confusion resulting in many of the inflicted to wander off unnoticed and get lost in parts unknown.  The White House insists these are vicious rumors started by the president's political detractors and are outright falsehoods.  However....The president WAS unavailable for comment......

....Today, a sad story comes to us about the sudden tragic death of little 10 year-old Timmy Baker, who died of minor cuts and contusions that went untreated while the nurses and doctors on staff at County General hospital were too busy laughing at Timmy's dirty and hole riddled underwear.  His grieving Mother could only be heard to moan, "I TOLD him!"

...The White house is now busy denying reports that president Ronald Reagan is dead, and HAS been dead for two years, but was quietly replaced by Don DeFore and nobody noticed!

...Shocking news comes to us about a "tell all" book by "Johnny", the long time "puppet" of ventriloquist SENOR WENCES.  Johnny reveals in the book about Senor Wences' keeping monies that were rightfully HIS, and often refusing Johnny any artistic credit or input to their act.  Also, Johnny goes into great detail about the abuse suffered from Wences, including all the times Senor Wences forced Johnny to perform oral sex on him!

Thak you, and have a good evening!

Sepiatone news!

Cute, very cute, especially the first line & the last line!

I wonder if predicting the future is actually natural when you just see & recognise the signs? I mean NETWORK, 2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY? 

It is also a topic of conversation among my art group friends, the popularity and acceptance of smoking pot with late baby boomers. Many are slowly returning to it after years of adult responsibility of raising kids while several are functioning regular users.

None of the younger members of our group (24-38 y/o) participate, but they do their own thing, which seems to be craft beer tasting.

Everyone behaves fine, in the rare occasion someone has gotten drunk, they've immediately been kicked out.

Gee Sepia, the Reagan story about having Alzheimers and replaced actually came to be true. Too bad it was "Astrology Nancy" that replaced him. And yes, the Senor Wences story made me lol. 

It just got me into thinking our similarities growing up in the same time period, we played games like that too. I then thought it interesting the difference between generations regarding marijuana. I am convinced all these "liberal" bills are being passed because of aging baby boomers - like ourselves- are in office.

I wonder what "social" games kids play today? 

I wonder what "social" games kids play today? 

Well, you can bet it now involves some form of electronic device, anyway.

And unfortunately and if they're old enough, way too often while the Youts are behind the wheel.

(...and I always wanna smack 'em upside the head when I seein' 'em doin' that out there on the road...we motorcyclists already have the deck stacked against us out there, ya know!!!)

The Detroit News here used to get in trouble for that sort of thing.

One morning, they released an issue complete with an article in which there was a very detailed description of a space shuttle blast off.  The PROBLEM was, shuttle mission had been delayed due to weather, and the described "blastoff" never really took place!

They had another gaffe that I don't recall right now...

But, I suppose the most FAMOUS "fake" news item would be----

"DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN"!

But, THAT wasn't an intended fake.

Sepiatone

• 1 year later...

Right-Wing Media Are Using The Term “Fake News” To Attack Credible News Sources-

"Right-wing media’s attempt to conflate fake news with reporting from legitimate journalistic institutions feeds into a larger conservative effort, led by President-elect Trump, to delegitimize mainstream media outlets. Trump, who has long waged a war on the press, has consistently expressed his contempt for journalists and news organizations and violated the norms of any president or president-elect when it comes to his relations with the media.

During the month of November, Trump repeatedly attacked media outlets, calling The New York Times “dishonest,” decrying the “the crooked media” for investigating his unprecedented business conflicts of interest, and suggesting that CNN has gotten “worse” since the election. In a December 7 interview on NBC’s Today, Trump admitted he uses Twitter to bypass the media and “dishonest reporters.”...

Some experts have suggested Trump’s attacks on the media are part of a concerted effort to discredit journalists and outlets and thereby “inoculate” himself from reporting that could be damaging. On CNN’s Reliable Sources, former Time Inc. Editor-in-Chief John Huey argued that Trump used “demagogic techniques” that “smack of authoritarianism” during the campaign because “the media poses a real threat to him.”

Attacking mainstream outlets as “fake” is the latest step in a conservative-media-fueled campaign to delegitimize credible news sources -- a dangerous path in a media landscape where people are already too willing to accept actual fake news, but are hard-pressed to believe real reporting."

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2016/12/09/right-wing-media-using-term-fake-news-attack-credible-news-sources/214778

• Like 1

Pizzagate

The craziest part of that whole story is that someone believed it. And we're not supposed to say these people are stupid?

As for the story about Trump and his team attempting to de-legitimize media outlets, that has been a goal of the rightwing online news and talk radio shows for the past two decades. They repeat it day after day after day that everyone else is lying and/or hopelessly biased, and that only they are telling the truth. Eventually, the types of minds that believe the Pizzagate story start to buy into it, not realizing that they've been manipulated to only use a specific media source, which both makes that source more money, and also allows them to almost completely control the message.

• Like 3

Fake news is needed. It's the oxygen of wingnuts.

Yes, but thankfully readers of the Washington Post and New York Times - as well as viewers of CNN - become fewer by the day.

Now, if only some of Fox's dufus audience would start tuning out, maybe we could see an overall smartening up.

I haven't been to this thread since I started it last year.  Sad to find it WAY off the rails.

The whole idea was to have it be the place to post "fake" news items YOU guys made up, just for fun.  Sort of like "Not Necessarily the News meets TCM boards."

NOT a place for people to turn into some sort of pissant facebook page or another YouTube site.

Sepiatone

Yes, but thankfully readers of the Washington Post and New York Times - as well as viewers of CNN - become fewer by the day.

Now, if only some of Fox's dufus audience would start tuning out, maybe we could see an overall smartening up.

I doubt that people are not buying the NYT or the WP because

they doubt the accuracy of their news. Newspapers in general

have fewer readers due to a number of factors. I'd trust both

those newspapers before I trusted some of the alternate sites

on the internet. People need to use their own knowledge and

judgement when deciding on what is and what isn't fake news.

Wouldn't it have been a smarter play for Uncle Joe to sell those

classic skin mags on eBay, buy cheaper new skin mags with

some of the proceeds, use the rest to buy tissues and paper

towels, and then some Christmas turkeys with the rest. Remember,

it's the thought that counts.

That would require some critical thinking on their part, which seems to be a skill that is becoming less and less common.

It certainly does. There's a lot of gullibility out there. It also takes

some time to suss things out and that's also a rarer commodity.

But it can be done.

I doubt that people are not buying the NYT or the WP because they doubt the accuracy of their news. Newspapers in general have fewer readers due to a number of factors. I'd trust both those newspapers before I trusted some of the alternate sites on the internet. People need to use their own knowledge and judgement when deciding on what is and what isn't fake news.

Even if they're like you - no judgement at all really? Just the most boring, unoriginal kind of cynicism - the kind underachievers think makes them look smart when they're really just trying to cover up having nothing worthwhile to say?

Even if they're like you - no judgement at all really? Just the most boring, unoriginal kind of cynicism - the kind underachievers think makes them look smart when they're really just trying to cover up having nothing worthwhile to say?

Of course the mainstream press is not 100% accurate, but then

neither are alternative newsites. Every one will just have to use

their own experience and judgement. It's pretty elementary.

Cynic, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are,

not as they ought to be. (Ambrose Bierce) I think Wilde's defintiion

was a person who knows the price of everything, but the value of

nothing. Yeah, whatever.