Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Very nicely said, Keith I couldn't say it any better. I'm sure that if The Academy didn't resent her so much she would have at least won two academy awards. I don't understand how Luise Rainer (The Good Earth) won an Oscar over Garbo's dynamic performance in Camille.

Wow you both have a point. Please don't misunderstand my post. It was not my intention to put anyone down for likeing Greta Garbo's films. The reason that I started this post was just to find out why so many people{movie lovers} love Garbo, and consider her a Superstar. This post was just to state my and my alone opinion. It was not to attack anyones feelings, or opinions. I have the greatest respect for all opinions, and I would hope the same from others. Nickdimeo you stated in your post that you didn't think Luise Rainer should have won best actress for The Good Earth over Greta Garbo lol. I would have to disagree with that, not to start an argument but the Good Earth was in my Opinion a far better film then Camille. This is what makes it fun to discuses films with others. I don't exspect everybody to agree with me, and visa versa. Again if I offened anyone I'm sorry, but as I stated this was MY OPINION ONLY. Always, Larry/Xxmass.

How have I, or any Garbo fan been 'duped' when we truly enjoy her work, or buy into her mystique, Mitchell?? That's Hollywood's job. To take a mere mortal and make them appear more than they are, and in Garbo's case, the mystique IS there for many film fans, whether you care to buy into it or not. I don't know what Garbo was like off the screen, but the mystery and depth Garbo exuded is there onscreen, every time I see one of her films. I'm not imagining that. For ME, it exists.

By your logic, we ought to call John Wayne fans, for example, who find him to be an American hero, "dupes." I personally don't care for John Wayne, but I wouldn't suggest that his fans are gullible for buying into his image. That would be rude. You have your opinion and it's been duly noted. I don't mind the disparity of opinions here, but to call her fans "dupes" steps over the line, my friend......

I have to agree. If people who enjoy Garbo's work, such as myself, are "dupes" than practically everyone out there who enjoys classic film are dupes themselves as almost everyone and everything connected to the Golden Age of Hollywood has been entirely transformed and fabricated. I'm not embarrassed to say that I like John Wayne's films, maybe not everything about Wayne the man, but a lot of people have fallen foul of believing Wayne was Wayne and not Marion Morrison, which remained in private until he died. I know the difference and I like Wayne as Wayne but I don't think I've been duped.

To be sure, people are entitled to their opinions but I think Garbo's getting a raw deal. Her legend, if you want to call it that, stems from being an original (fabrication, if you must) at a time when almost every woman on the American screen was a just a shade of the same colour. I think I've already said that somewhere. I think it's a testament to Garbo herself that she has endured so long given the nonsense that most of her films were. So that doesn't mean I've been duped---seduced, yes. I realize Garbo's an acquired taste, but that's how seduction works in terms of appreciation of film-stars, just like in love or people you find attractive for whatever reason.

keith, johnny, stoney,

I wouldn't put too much stock in what this person has posted; I found myself in the same situation while defending the great Kate some time ago. Like Leo, "he" obviously likes making indefensible statements to get a reaction out of people. Hence, his comments should be taken with a grain of salt, or simply ignored.

I agree on the questionable substance to the Garbo "mystique". She seems almost wholly a product of the hype machine whose dupes hang on with the ferocity of a pit bull.

Well, I should learn to be less cute with my choice of words, although I stand by all of the above.

The disputed sentence clearly, in my view, excludes fans of her films and suggests that those fans are out-numbered by those duped by hype. IMO.

Wow Mitchell, you seem to have put a lot of thought into your opinions of Garbo's fans, as well as her so called "dupes." I'm sure you can find something better to do with your time.

Personally, I'd rather watch a well made, well acted Garbo film anyday then to conjure up reasons why I SHOULDN'T like her, and then be aggressive about it. TO ME, she had a very unique quality, a quality that I picked up on at a very young age when I first saw her in "Grand Hotel." Garbo was mesmerizing to me, and even though I was only a kid, I recognized her unique beauty and talent. Her presence on screen was unlike any other I had seen before or since, which is why she is so unique in my opinion.

Thank you Mongo, I agree with you 100% on Luise Rainer performance in The Good Earth. Also I would like to thank you all for your Inputs, and post of Greta Garbo. I started this post, and have learned a great deal about Miss Garbo and how much she was and still is loved by so many. Now when I started this post I gave the impression that I was trashing Garbo, and I may have offened most of you, but beleive it or not I've learned alot from you all. Sometimes when we state our opinions we forget that it may offend others { Right Mitchell? lol} So again thank you all. Always, Larry/Xxmass

Although I Like very much Garbo, I also can understand why Rainer won and Oscar for her role as O-Lan...Rainer is a maganificent actress and she excelled in that role.

On the other hand, Garbo's performance as Marguerite Gautier is one of her best...it's a pity that in 1937 there was such strong competition: Rainer, Garbo, Stanwyck for "Stella Dallas", Irene Dunne for "The Awful Truth" and Janet Gaynor for "A Star is Born". Anyway, Garbo should have won an Oscar for at least one of her performances.

Hello Larry:

I wasn't referring to you as posting 'a fuss'. I was asking someone what they meant by 'all the fuss' because I, being a Garbo fan, appreciated a little attention given to a favorite of mine. Do people consider it 'a fuss' when they tribute the great Kate or the Grand Dame, Bette? Well, anyway, I understand you were expressing your opinion. And I'm glad that now you can see that Garbo has fans, not because she appreciated being 'alone' but for what WE can see and you can't. Her beauty, her acting and whatever magic she exudes that we can enjoy. That's all.

I always wanted to see Ms. Rainer's performance in THE GOOD EARTH, because I always felt that CAMILLE was Garbo's very best. So I did watch it and I don't 'get it', just as you don't 'get it' with Greta. I do think Luise Rainer was a wonderful actress, but I just did not think her performance in THE GOOD EARTH was deserving of an Academy over Garbo or Stanwyck or Irene Dunne. Garbo not winning for CAMILLE was a real shocker to everyone in 1937, and to a lot of classic movie fans today. But that's the Academy.

-Always, Audrey

I think the fascination with her was she was different from the American actresses. Back than it was about image and illusion and faces. Garbo's voice, name, look, mystery, allure, secret life all played a part besides her acting that made her a superstar and legend. I haven't seen many of her movies either but I can see why she was popular than, put yourself in that era back than, she was something new to the American people because of all the traits mentioned above. Finding out about Garbo was intriguing and still is because people are still trying to figure her out, and she's been dead for so long. Of course, maybe Garbo is over exaggerated but most are to make them more interesting just go for the illusion, its more fun then figuring her out.

It was, Larry?? It kinda left me scratching my head in confusion. I get what they are saying, but that last sentence, especially "but most are to make them more interesting just go for the illusion" could have been a little, I dunno, clearer, perhaps? Either way, despite all that's been said here, I find it fascinating that Garbo and her work can elicit such a disparity of opinion from film fans. Garbo is probably reeling in the fact that all of these years later, we are, if this thread is any example, still trying to figure her out.......

A couple of notes about Greta Garbo:

My opinion (about her acting skills)--the 'meatier' the roles (Queen Christina, Camille) the easier it is for me, the audience, to understand her appeal. Though I think no matter the role, she always has an allure.

Concerning the "rarely seen...made for Swedish television" Garbo documentary. What a refreshing idea--no 'know-it-all' talking heads!

Finally, about Garbo's off screen reserve/mystery. My father grew up (until sixteen years of age) in Sweden. I would say my dad and Greta Garbo were very much alike...uhm, except for the male/female thing. Similar sort of personality...THAT is what I mean.

I guess that's what is hard for some to understand. Most movie stars relish fame but Garbo didn't seem to care for it. She wanted to live like any other ordinary human being, she wanted privacy, to walk the streets without being noticed, which was hard for ones to believe, so many believed she made that "I want to be alone" image up to spark more intrigue.

I want to be alone but I'm not interesting because I'm not a movie star.

• 5 months later...

What I've found on that so far was that it seems like advice Moje, Swedish film director Mauritz Stiller had given her early in her carreer. Something like if you're in the company of affluent poeple, act a little tired.

She was billed as The Swedish Sphinx when she was still very active in Hollywood.

Maybe the Fredrick Sands biography. It's a good question, why a recluse when she already had half of Hollywood keeping her hidden. Maybe men...Hauser, Stokowski, Beaton if at all, maybe Gilbert in particular. Maybe an affair, depending on the new book on Mimi Pollack and any letters there still might be.

I'm reading Mark A. Vieira's book the Cinematic Legacy, although its packed with photos, there's nice writing in it. He likes Karin Swenson's biography most.

Good Luck

scottlord

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/Greta_Garbo/

If your father grew up in Sweden, please visit my webpage. It has quite alot on Swedish Television. I got a letter from Ase Kleveland, director of the Swedish Film Institute when I wrote to her about the birthday of Greta Garbo and the screenings of Camille at the insitute. Just scroll down untill you get to a photo from The Divine Woman.

Tacka so mycket

http://www.geocities.com/lord02141/scottlord.html

Audrey,

Have you written to me before, your address looks familiar? The silent films of Greta Garbo are actually well written dramas and not very comedic at all.

Sometimes I pass a little on Grand Hotel and Dinner at Eight, but not because Garbo can't act.

Mata Hari is dramatic, As You Desire Me is good. Inspiration might be one of her best dramas.

Thanks,

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/Greta_Garbo/

scott

• 2 months later...

Well, I have read everything everyone has written. First, let me say that the Mark Vieira book is one of the best I've read, next to Swenson's and Paris'. In response to alleycat1920, yes Ingrid was quite an actress. In fact, both being Swedish, I saw Gaslight and then watched Romance with Garbo. I thought Ingrid's portrayal was so good, I wanted to compare her to Garbo. Well, I found Garbo to be every bit her equal. In fact, she is much better. I fell in love with Garbo when I was 16 years old and now, forty years later, I still hold her higher than any other actress. Yes, I love Bette, Katherine, and Ingrid who all beat Greta out in the top five spots of The Film Institutes top 5. But, Garbo was # 5. Thank God! Any lower, and I would have bombed the Institute. Yes, her hair was terrible in most all her films. I don't know why except that I know she didn't care. She never cared about her appearance. Dietrich called her a peasant! Camille was her greatest film. Nickdimeo, she should have won! There was no one who could have done that part like she did. That particular performance was not only compared to Duse and Bernhadt, but was said to be "the greatest performance by any actress in any film," EVER! This is all fact. You cannot argue with historians. You have your opinion, and the Experts have theirs. Nodgnoc and xxmass, you don't have to like her. You are not needed. And, like so many others have said, if you don't get it, we can't explain it to you. As Guest said it best, she was SUBLIME. But, I have to differ on one point. She was not A superstar, she was THE superstar. No one has ever come close to her appeal. In April, 1931, Katherine Albert, a writer from Photoplay wrote an article called, Exploding the Garbo Myth. In it she said pretty much what all of you nay sayers are proposing, that she is nothing more than a creation. She can't act, and she literally does not deserve her status. Well, FIFTEEN THOUSAND angry fans wrote Photoplay to have that woman impaled on the top of the highest building as an example of her blasphemy! That is just a sample of how some of us feel. She is the supreme goddess, separate and above any other. She is not to be compared with any other "actress" because she is not just an actress. She is our vessel through which all of our deepest emotions are expressed. Yes, she wanted to be left alone and that "alone" is why we love her. She was not commercial. She did not play the game. And, when the game got too much for her, she left. Scottlord suggested it was Moje who influenced her, and I agree. But, it was also John Gilbert and Harry Edington, her agent, who encouraged her to distance herself to increase her fame. It worked, like no one else's technique. Luvsgarbo said, and again it is fact, that Hepburn, Davis and Crawford all stood in awe of Garbo. They all praised her as above and beyond all others. Crawford even did a documentary on Garbo, stating in the beginning that she would do this for no other star. If you love her, you love her. If not, there is no way to bring you to her. She is an addiction to some. There is no escape, and to have her name bandied about is sacrilege. All of us who love her favor different films. Some of us love her silents. Some love her talkies. Some love everything. Some hate her hair, but none of these differences separate us in our adoration of the Divine Garbo. Personally, I LOVE Romance, Inspiration and The Single Standard. Others think those are some of her worst movies. There is nothing more exhilarating than a heated discussion on the Supreme Garbo! There is nothing I love talking about more.