Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Holiday Inn

midnight08

I had thought that someone might have started a thread for this movie but I was wrong.

I wondered if this was a TCM premiere but it wasn't mentioned so maybe it was shown before (although it had to be at least 10 years ago).

I personally enjoyed the film. As was stated in the TCM intro it was intended as escapist entertainment during the first days of WWII. This was the film that introduced "White Christmas" and I much prefer it to the film "White Christmas" from 1954. Lots of other good songs and Fred Astaire did some great dancing. Bing Crosby looked young and handsome. I really didn't know of Marjorie Reynolds till I saw this movie. I'm surprised she never became a bigger star as she was pretty and had lots of talent.

The practical side of me wondered how Bing could afford to have the Inn open only on select holidays and how he could afford all the beautiful sets, costumes and people he employed for these holidays. Then I realized this was pure "escapist" entertainment so I simply enjoyed the movie for what it was with its dancing, singing and happy ending.

I had thought that someone might have started a thread for this movie but I was wrong.

I wondered if this was a TCM premiere but it wasn't mentioned so maybe it was shown before (although it had to be at least 10 years ago).

I personally enjoyed the film. As was stated in the TCM intro it was intended as escapist entertainment during the first days of WWII. This was the film that introduced "White Christmas" and I much prefer it to the film "White Christmas" from 1954. Lots of other good songs and Fred Astaire did some great dancing. Bing Crosby looked young and handsome. I really didn't know of Marjorie Reynolds till I saw this movie. I'm surprised she never became a bigger star as she was pretty and had lots of talent.

The practical side of me wondered how Bing could afford to have the Inn open only on select holidays and how he could afford all the beautiful sets, costumes and people he employed for these holidays. Then I realized this was pure "escapist" entertainment so I simply enjoyed the movie for what it was with its dancing, singing and happy ending.

Including last night's airing, HOLIDAY INN has been broadcast 9 times on TCM. It had been ten years since the previous showing, which I indicated in the Tomorrow thread.

I have been waiting forever to see this movie as I personally cannot stand the 1952 version, it has nothing to do with the actors but everything to do with the technicolour which seems (to me) to overshadow the songs and the stars. 

Besides which, Fred is much more entertaining than Danny Kaye and the tap dance with fireworks is absolutley fantastic, I love it and it is right up there with his Bojangles number and the one where he uses his cane like a shotgun..fantastic!!!

I have seen some comments over the years objecting to the Abraham Lincoln Day number and I was prepared for something really over the top but as the blackface is used in this number it is used to have  Aafrican Americans celebrating Abraham Lincoln. 

Liked the ending too...celebrating the countries ideals and lists of things the country is fighting for...and you just cannot get more sentimental than the song White Christmas. 

• Like 1