Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Wet Parade

GenRipper66

Really enjoyed the scare piece on Prohibition and it reminded me of a fantastic documentary on PBS called 'The Poisoner's Handbook'. (Check out the link below.) However, the documentary tells the truth about how the GOVERNMENT was responsible for poisoning THOUSANDS of people with denatured alcohol instead of unscrupulous bootleggers as portrayed in the movie. A pretty sad time in our history...

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365142654/

But I say grain alcohol and rain water is the way to go.... Damn those Commie plots!!!

Really enjoyed the scare piece on Prohibition and it reminded me of a fantastic documentary on PBS called 'The Poisoner's Handbook'. (Check out the link below.) However, the documentary tells the truth about how the GOVERNMENT was responsible for poisoning THOUSANDS of people with denatured alcohol instead of unscrupulous bootleggers as portrayed in the movie. A pretty sad time in our history...

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365142654/

But I say grain alcohol and rain water is the way to go.... Damn those Commie plots!!!

Hi GenRipper  (nice to see ya!)

yeah, kinda liked that one too, though the POV seemed all over the place...both anti-alcohol AND anti-Prohibition, but maybe that was the point. Really kind of impossible to regulate someone's tastes or addictions, even if supposedly for the good of society.

BTW, I think the movie did make the point that the additive (methyl alcohol.) WAS indeed stupidly added by the government to make the alcohol 'less palatable'

Wonder whose dumb idea THAT was??

:blink:

Hi GenRipper (nice to see ya!)

yeah, kinda liked that one too, though the POV seemed all over the place...both anti-alcohol AND anti-Prohibition, but maybe that was the point. Really kind of impossible to regulate someone's tastes or addictions, even if supposedly for the good of society.

BTW, I think the movie did make the point that the additive (methyl alcohol.) WAS indeed stupidly added by the government to make the alcohol 'less palatable'

Wonder whose dumb idea THAT was??

:blink:

I will agree that the POV was on both sides but I would say it was more like 90% against and 10% for. The movie was one horror story after another with a few people thrown in with a brain who basically said 'was It worth it?'. And the documentary makes it clear that the government knew they would be killing people with denatured alcohol (or methyl alcohol, if you prefer that term instead). The beginnings were innocent enough with people killing themselves by distilling wood, but when the government became involved the results were a daily conga line of dead or blind. The movie made it sound like the bootleggers were too greedy to 'take the poison out' but in actuality, the government was delivering the poison directly to the poor. Bootleggers don't want to kill their customers, bad for business. The government, on the other hand, will never understand the disease that is alcohoism. The desire to drink trumps the desire to live anyday.

I saw on the H&I channel how the kl@n were big time Prohibitionists and thought by denying minorities the drink, they would run them off. LOL. They helped establish the mafia here and Hoover even used them to extract info in the Mississippi Burning case.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings