Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Requiem for a Heavyweight (1962)

Mr. Gorman

Does anyone know how many versions of "Requiem for a Heavyweight" there are for sure?

I think there's 3 versions.

I think there's the original theatrical release, then there's an expanded version of the movie adding in deleted scenes to try and fit a 2-hour time slot as it ran too short + the version that's on the 'Columbia Classics' VHS tape.  

► I don't have a DVD release of "Requiem for a Heavyweight" so I don't know what edition of the movie it contains, but I do have the 'Columbia Classics' VHS and the end of the movie is different on the tape.  The first time I ever saw the movie was on that tape and the version aired on TCM does not have the same ending.  I figure the version of "Requiem" shown by Turner Classic has the original theatrical ending, but I don't know that for sure, either. 

On the VHS tape there's a scene at the end with Jackie Gleason, Val Avery and that young boxer who had appeared in the locker room scene several minutes before that Avery had said was a real up and comer.  I won't say what the content of the scene is in case anyone reading this wants to check it out for themselves. 

Well, Gorman----what DO you consider the "original theatrical release"?

Surely, you don't mean the "Playhouse 90" (I think) presentaion with JACK PALANCE, KEENAN WYNN and ED WYNN, do ya?

If THAT one is on a disc anywhere, I WANT it!

Sepiatone

Surely, you don't mean the "Playhouse 90" (I think) presentaion with JACK PALANCE, KEENAN WYNN and ED WYNN, do ya?

Sepiatone

I always thought the earlier Palance televised version was superior to this Quinn version.

At least in my case anyway, the earlier version elicited from me much more sympathetic feelings for the Mountain McClintock character after first watching it some 10 years ago now than I ever felt for the character in the filmed version.

(...Yep, one of Palance's greatest performances in my book)

You're right, Sepiatone, that I don't mean the PLAYHOUSE 90 presentation with Jack Palance. 

I consider the original theatrical release to be the 87-minute version without the scene with Jackie Gleason at the end where he tells the young boxer to go home.   

I noted 'RayFaiola' has a 16mm print that clocks in at 100m.; I reckon that could be the expanded Tv version . . or not. 

Ah jus' don't know cuz ahm a hick from the sticks.  (Anything between 2 slices of Wonder Bread screems hawt kwee-zine ta me).       

(Another movie with 3 versions:  Irwin Allen's 1980 disaster film "When Time Ran Out . . . ").   

I always thought the earlier Palance televised version was superior to this Quinn version.

At least in my case anyway, the earlier version elicited from me much more sympathetic feelings for the Mountain McClintock character after first watching it some 10 years ago now than I ever felt for the character in the filmed version.

(...Yep, one of Palance's greatest performances in my book)

The scene with Quinn stumbling around the hotel upper floor yelling for the guy with whom he was supposed to meet, and knocking over the delivery cart, was one of the most memorable scenes in film, IMHO.

The scene with Quinn stumbling around the hotel upper floor yelling for the guy with whom he was supposed to meet, and knocking over the delivery cart, was one of the most memorable scenes in film, IMHO.

And Quinn acting like the proverbial "bull in a china shop" in a movie is unusually "memorable" exactly HOW again???!!!

LOL

(...though don't get me wrong here...I always liked Tony, BUT as I earlier said, I found Jack's Mountain McClintock a better overall performance of that character 'cause Jack seemed to somehow draw more sympathy for him from me than did Tony's portrayal)

...and certain people act like a "bull in a china shop" on these boards. No names mentioned.

Well, I HAVE always prided myself on being "strong like bull", ya know!

(...and "smart like tractor"!!!)

Sepiatone

It is available in the Criterion set The Golden Age Of Television, which includes several classic live dramas from the 50's.