Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Requiem for a Heavyweight (1962)

Mr. Gorman

Does anyone know how many versions of "Requiem for a Heavyweight" there are for sure?

I think there's 3 versions.

I think there's the original theatrical release, then there's an expanded version of the movie adding in deleted scenes to try and fit a 2-hour time slot as the theatrical version ran too short + the version that's on the 'Columbia Classics' VHS tape.  

► I don't have a DVD release of "Requiem for a Heavyweight" so I don't know what edition of the movie it contains, but I do have the 'Columbia Classics' VHS and the end of the movie is different on the tape.  The first time I ever saw the movie was on that tape and the version aired on TCM does not have the same ending.  I figure the version of "Requiem" shown by Turner Classic has the original theatrical ending, but I don't know that for sure, either. 

On the VHS tape there's a scene at the end with Jackie Gleason, Val Avery and that young boxer who had appeared in the locker room scene several minutes before that Avery had said was a real up and comer.  I won't say what the content of the scene is in case anyone reading this wants to check it out for themselves. 

EDIT:  O Moderator, would you kindly delete this 'repeat' thread.  I didn't mean to start 2 threads of the same thing.  One thread is plenty!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings