Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Richard Dysart (1929-2015)

jakeem

Richard Dysart, who starred as senior partner Leland McKenzie in the four-time Emmy Award-winning television drama "L.A. Law," has died at the age of 86. The veteran actor, who appeared in the series during its entire run on NBC from 1986 to 1994, won a 1992 Emmy himself for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-richard-dysart-20150410-story.html

On March 21, 1991, Dysart appeared in an "L.A. Law" scene that became one of television's most shocking moments. The Season 5 episode, titled "Good to the Last Drop," featured the surprising exit of the widely disliked attorney Rosalind Shays (Diana Muldaur).

• Like 1

I never watched LA Law, but I remember him in lots of movies. Particularly memorable in Hospital...

I was a big fan of "L.A Law". For some reason, Corbin Bernsen  got the most recognition, but it was a fine ensemble cast. When the show came on the air, Harry Hamlin was supposed to be the big star, but it didn't really work out that way.

I watched PROPHECY about 3 months ago and I recall exactly what scene you're talking about, NipkowDisc.  :)  And don't forget:  Richard gets his hands bitten off in 'THE THING'. 

He also had a substantial part in 'BEING THERE' (1979). 

I remember Dysart also having a small part in PETULIA (1968).  He's easily recognizable despite the brevity of the role. 

Along with Geoffrey Lewis, Gregory Walcott and June Fairchild, another 'Clint Co-Star' bites the recent dust.  I liked 'PALE RIDER' a lot. 

I watched PROPHECY about 3 months ago and I recall exactly what scene you're talking about, NipkowDisc.  :)  And don't forget:  Richard gets his hands bitten off in 'THE THING'. 

He also had a substantial part in 'BEING THERE' (1979). 

I remember Dysart also having a small part in PETULIA (1968).  He's easily recognizable despite the brevity of the role. 

Along with Geoffrey Lewis, Gregory Walcott and June Fairchild, another 'Clint Co-Star' bites the recent dust.  I liked 'PALE RIDER' a lot. 

oh yeah, I forgot about the thing. :)

I was a big fan of "L.A Law".

Me too. It was the "can't miss" show of the week for me. I used to say to people at work on Thursdays that "it's l.a. law tonight" and rub my hands together. They'd just stare at me blankly because for them it was knots landing night.

Richard Dysart was the class of the show.

I never watched L A Law on a regular basis because I often worked afternoon /evening shifts but I  always knew it was a good show. Some shows I  later caught on to when they went into rerun/syndication,  but I never got into L A Law  though. So someone tell me, when the lady took the "drop"  down the elevator shaft, was  that simply an accident or did it happen under suspect circumstances?  ("Good to the last drop" , what a great title for that episode )

I never watched L A Law on a regular basis because I often worked afternoon /evening shifts but I  always knew it was a good show. Some shows I  later caught on to when they went into rerun/syndication,  but I never got into L A Law  though. So someone tell me, when the lady took the "drop"  down the elevator shaft, was  that simply an accident or did it happen under suspect circumstances?  ("Good to the last drop" , what a great title for that episode )

My recollection is that it was an accident. I don't remember if the building's ownership was found negligent or not. But there were a lot of people who worked at McKenzie, Brackman, Chaney and Kuzak who would have loved to push Rosalind Shays down the shaft. She was such a ruthless character!

Here's a 2011 interview with actress Diana Muldaur, who was determined not to get involved with the stuntwork for the scene.

Me too. It was the "can't miss" show of the week for me. I used to say to people at work on Thursdays that "it's l.a. law tonight" and rub my hands together. They'd just stare at me blankly because for them it was knots landing night.

Richard Dysart was the class of the show.

That's what we all thought, but it turns out that he was a slave to his libido just like the rest of them. Does anyone remember the name partner "Chaney"?.

That's what we all thought, but it turns out that he was a slave to his libido just like the rest of them. Does anyone remember the name partner "Chaney"?.

Senior partner Norman Chaney (embodied by the great stuntman Loren Janes) was found dead at his desk in the pilot episode. He apparently had suffered a fatal heart attack while working at the office during a Labor Day weekend. His body was discovered the following Tuesday morning by Arnold Becker's secretary Roxanne Melman. Arnie's reaction to the possibility that Chaney was dead: "If he is, I've got dibs on his office."

Senior partner Norman Chaney was found dead at his desk in the pilot episode. He apparently had suffered a fatal heart attack while working at the office during a Labor Day weekend. His body was discovered the following Tuesday morning by Arnold Becker's secretary Roxanne Melman. Arnie's reaction to the possibility that Chaney was dead: "If he is, I've got dibs on his office."

..and the partners took it upon themselves never to work that hard. See what happens to you?