Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Love dem names! (reprise)

Sepiatone

We've discussed this sort of thing before.

Now, they may not be your favorite movie stars, or maybe they are, but you can't deny you love them  names!

Oh, we've discussed the MYRNA, TALLULLAH, or the GREER.  Actually, one of my NIECES married a guy whose LAST name is GREER, and when I quipped about him having "two first names", he had NO idea what I was talking about until I told him.  Seems he NEVER HEARD of GREER GARSON before!

But, I'm recalling the time when I was very young, and the TV books we had just printed the title of a movie and a few words about the subject of it.  I also remember once sitting through two thirds of some movie, wondering which one of the ladies in it was FRANCHOT TONE!

So, has there ever been a hollywood name that threw you like that?  Or confused you in any OTHER way?

Sepiatone

Yep..."Malachi Throne".

For years I thought the guy's first name who played Robert Wagner's boss on "It Takes a Thief" was pronounced "Ma-la-CHEE" and not "MAL-a-kai"!

(...hope this is what you meant here)

Also, I had a hard time amassing how Gale Sondergaard became a star too. I know, of course, through hard work and good connections, but I saw that name, and I am thinking, How? 

So, kind'a like the name Carrie Snodgress then, eh hep?! ;)

(...though at least the name "Sondergaard" seems to roll off the tongue a little more "poetically" than does "SNODgress"...sounds like somethin' Jerry Lewis would've have belted out in his own inimitable way!) LOL 

• Like 1

So, kind'a like the name Carrie Snodgress then, eh hep?! ;)

(...though at least the name "Sondergaard" seems to roll off the tongue a little more "poetically" than does "SNODgress"...sounds like somethin' Jerry Lewis would've have belted out in his own inimitable way!) LOL 

When I first saw the name, I wondered if she was the Swedish cousin of Soren Kierkegaard! LOL

Yep..."Malachi Throne".

For years I thought the guy's first name who played Robert Wagner's boss on "It Takes a Thief" was pronounced "Ma-la-CHEE" and not "MAL-a-kai"!

(...hope this is what you meant here)

Yeah, I thought that, too.  And, it's SORTA what I mean, but mostly, did some name somehow confuse you in some way, as FRANCHOT did me in thinking it was a feminine name?   

HELEN TWELVETREES?   Makes me think of a "squaw" in some old "oater"!

I'm not asking for names that made you, for some odd reason, think it should have somehow KEPT a talented actor or actress from achieving success.  like in...

"....I don't see how SO-AND-SO became a "star" with a name like THAT!"

????  What WOULD that have to do with anything?  (I don't think adopting the name TONY CURTIS made BERNIE SCHWARTZ a better actor!)

But, another example might be....

Whenever, when I was MUCH younger, and not familiar with the person, whenever a BILLY GRAHAM  crusade would be coming on TV, and they'd announce an appearance by GEORGE BEVERLY SHEA, I thought they were talking about TWO people, like----Mr. AND Mrs. SHEA!  Like I somehow HEARD an implied COMMA between GEORGE and BEVERLY.  :P

Sepiatone

Years ago when I first heard the name Cyd  Charisse I assumed it was a guy, (like Sid Caesar).

That is what makes that joke someone posted the other day about Laura so funny (as well as something that never occurred to me).

Every Dana I have known has been female.    As for Gene, I have known some females named that, but all of them spelled it Jean.

Y'know what else?

I was kinda drawn to LIONEL BARRYMORE due to my brother having a set of LIONEL trains!  I thought it an odd but cool name for a GUY, and was the main reason why, as a youngster, I bothered to watch ANY DR. KILDARE movies.

+1 on the "Cyd Charrise" thing.  

And I've already, in some other thread, mentioned the  fun I had with "country" names(not really, in ALL cases) like:

CHAD Everett

FRANCE Nguyen

CANADA Lee

And.....just for PUN-----

CICELY Tyson!  :P

Sepiatone

Y'know what else?

I was kinda drawn to LIONEL BARRYMORE due to my brother having a set of LIONEL trains!  I thought it an odd but cool name for a GUY, and was the main reason why, as a youngster, I bothered to watch ANY DR. KILDARE movies.

+1 on the "Cyd Charrise" thing.  

And I've already, in some other thread, mentioned the  fun I had with "country" names(not really, in ALL cases) like:

CHAD Everett

FRANCE Nguyen

CANADA Lee

And.....just for PUN-----

CICELY Tyson!  :P

Sepiatone

Watching films because of a guy's name can go only so far. Maybe one film, but twenty?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings