Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HOLIDAY INN/Paramount 1942

PrinceSaliano

It was nice to see a Paramount film from 1942 on the schedule. However, Paramount released 35 other features that year. When will the Universal/Paramount Bs be freed from the vaults?

Those films are not available as DVDs?    I ask because if NOT then this really lowers the odds TCM can lease them.  If they have been available as DVD for a few years,  then the odds increase TCM could lease them.

1. Paramount Victory Short No. T2-3: The Price of Victory (1942) ... Production Company

2. Lucky Jordan (1942) ... Production Company

The Fighting Spirit (1942) ... Production Company

Fuel Conservation (1942) ... Production Company

Japanese Relocation (1942) ... Production Company

Road to Morocco (1942) ... Production Company (as Paramount Pictures Inc.)

My Heart Belongs to Daddy (1942) ... Production Company

The Palm Beach Story (1942) ... Production Company

Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch (1942) ... Production Company

I Married a Witch (1942) ... Production Company

Paramount Victory Short No. T2-2: We Refuse to Die (1942) ... Production Company

The Forest Rangers (1942) ... Production Company

The Glass Key (1942) ... Production Company (as Paramount Pictures Inc.)

Sports I.Q. (1942) ... Production Company

Hedda Hopper's Hollywood No. 6 (1942) ... Production Company

Street of Chance (1942) ... Production Company

Henry Aldrich, Editor (1942) ... Production Company

The Major and the Minor (1942) ... Production Company (A Paramount Picture)

A Letter from Bataan (1942) ... Production Company (for)

Timber Athletes (1942) ... Production Company

The Man's Angle (1942) ... Production Company

Wake Island (1942) ... Production Company

Holiday Inn (1942) ... Production Company (as Paramount Pictures Inc.)

Hedda Hopper's Hollywood No. 5 (1942) ... Production Company

Priorities on Parade (1942) ... Production Company

Let 'Em Go Alive! (1942) ... Production Company

Sweater Girl (1942) ... Production Company

Night in New Orleans (1942) ... Production Company

Beyond the Blue Horizon (1942) ... Production Company

Hedda Hopper's Hollywood No. 4 (1942) ... Production Company

Parachute Athletes (1942) ... Production Company

Are Husbands Necessary? (1942) ... Production Company

Tombstone: The Town Too Tough to Die (1942) ... Production Company

Keeping in Shape (1942) ... Production Company

Henry and Dizzy (1942) ... Production Company

Speaking of Animals and Their Families (1942) ... Production Company

The Quiz Kids No. Q1-5 (1942) ... Production Company

Hero Worship (1942) ... Production Company

This Gun for Hire (1942) ... Production Company

Dr. Broadway (1942) ... Production Company

Mr. Strauss Takes a Walk (1942) ... Production Company

Take a Letter, Darling (1942) ... Production Company

Personality Plus (1942) ... Production Company

The Quiz Kids No. Q1-4 (1942) ... Production Company

Popular Science No. J-1-4 (1942) ... Production Company

My Favorite Blonde (1942) ... Production Company (as Paramount Pictures Inc.)

Sky Princess (1942) ... Production Company

True to the Army (1942) ... Production Company

The Witness (1942) ... Production Company

Timing Is Everything (1942) ... Production Company

Reap the Wild Wind (1942) ... Production Company

Star Spangled Rhythm (1942) ... Production Company

The Remarkable Andrew (1942) ... Production Company

Unusual Occupations L-1-3, No. 3 (1942) ... Production Company

Jasper and the Watermelons (1942) ... Production Company

The Great Man's Lady (1942) ... Production Company

Hedda Hopper's Hollywood No. 3 (1942) ... Production Company

Lure of the Surf (1942) ... Production Company

The Quiz Kids No. Q1-3 (1942) ... Production Company

Popular Science No. J-1-3 (1942) ... Production Company

Tulips Shall Grow (1942) ... Production Company

The Fleet's In (1942) ... Production Company

Better Bowling (1942) ... Production Company

The Lady Has Plans (1942) ... Production Company

Fly-By-Night (1942) ... Production Company

Safeguarding Military Information (1942) ... Production Company

Nothing But Nerves (1942) ... Production Company

Popular Science (1942/I) ... Production Company

Popular Science (1942/II) ... Production Company

Unusual Occupations (1942/I) ... Production Company

Unusual Occupations (1942/II) ... Production Company

Unusual Occupations (1942/III) ... Production Company

USS VD: Ship of Shame (1942) ... Production Company

Those films are not available as DVDs?    I ask because if NOT then this really lowers the odds TCM can lease them.  If they have been available as DVD for a few years,  then the odds increase TCM could lease them.

They are NOT available on DVD and apparently not for lease either. For some reason, Universal/Paramount is coming very late to the party.

They are NOT available on DVD and apparently not for lease either. For some reason, Universal/Paramount is coming very late to the party.

At first it was unclear to me as to why Fred posted all these links, then I realized they are all from 1942.  It appears that some from Fred's IMDB list are in fact on DVD, or were at some point, as the picture artwork indicates.  (Some might have only been on VHS.)  Not all are though, and the links certainly didn't take me to any online DVD store.  Having said that, I have been impressed with TCM's output of hard to find older films.  Perhaps some of them are tied up in legal disputes, perhaps some are deemed "uninteresting" (all the reason more to unearth it, blow the dust off, and show it), and perhaps some of them don't exist anymore.

My own wish list includes the early output of Fox Film Corp, before they merged and became Twentieth Century Fox (now "20th" C.F.). 

At first it was unclear to me as to why Fred posted all these links, then I realized they are all from 1942.  It appears that some from Fred's IMDB list are in fact on DVD, or were at some point, as the picture artwork indicates.  (Some might have only been on VHS.)  Not all are though, and the links certainly didn't take me to any online DVD store.  Having said that, I have been impressed with TCM's output of hard to find older films.  Perhaps some of them are tied up in legal disputes, perhaps some are deemed "uninteresting" (all the reason more to unearth it, blow the dust off, and show it), and perhaps some of them don't exist anymore.

My own wish list includes the early output of Fox Film Corp, before they merged and became Twentieth Century Fox (now "20th" C.F.). 

It appears the links are to the IMDB page for the films in question.  If it is available for watching or purchase, IMDB provides a link.  F'rinstance:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035432/

Look under the illustration for the link to Amazon.com.  I imagine other outlets, like Movies Unlimited, would also have them.

It appears the links are to the IMDB page for the films in question.  If it is available for watching or purchase, IMDB provides a link.  F'rinstance:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035432/

Look under the illustration for the link to Amazon.com.  I imagine other outlets, like Movies Unlimited, would also have them.

Yup, that was my main outlet, and still is, for when I am not feeling like a tapir.

320px-Malayan_Tapir_standing.JPG

My wish list for films TCM should show more would include 30s and early 40's Columbia films,  40's Paramount films, and late 40's and 50's Fox noirs     But hey,  maybe early Fox Film Corp movies also since I don't recall seeing many of those.    One can't know if there is a gem there or not if they can't see them!

What about all those links Fred provided?    They look to be links for selling DVDs of those Paramount films.

That's IMDB's list of 1942 Paramount films and shorts. Seems that many have been shown on TCM several times, while others are totally unknown. Same goes for 40, 41, 43, etc.

I see that WC Fields made several classic films at Paramount.

I haven't seen these films since I saw them at a major WC Fields film festival at a large theater in Berkeley in the late 1960s.

The prints were high quality 35 mm, and they showed just about every film Fields made.

I've seen only a couple of Fields films on TCM, and I wonder what happened to all the rest of them? Paramount or some distributor had high quality prints of all of them back in the 1960s. Films such as TILLIE AND GUS, POPPY, THE OLD FASHIONED WAY, THE INTERNATIONAL HOUSE with a lot of other stars such as Cab Calloway, MILLION DOLLAR LEGS, MY LITTLE CHICKADEE, THE BIG BROADCAST OF 1938, SIX OF A KIND, YOU'RE TELLING ME, IT'S A GIFT, YOU CAN'T CHEAT AN HONEST MAN, and shorts like THE BARBER SHOP, THE DENTIST, and THE FATAL GLASS OF BEER,

A local newspaper article at the time said most of these were very rare and were being distributed around the country together in sort of an "experimental" manner. A similar thing was done at about the same time by a guy who collected a lot of rare Buster Keaton films and toured them around the country to have local Keaton film festivals at local theaters.

What we need to do is look through these lists of Paramount and Universal films from the 1930s-50s, under the heading of Production Company and Distributor, and find titles that are NOT available for theater, home, or TV showing, and then contact both companies and ask for them to make them available on DVD or Blue-Ray.

Apparently the companies think these "unknown" films would not sell many DVD copies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034862/companycredits?ref_=tt_dt_co

Click on each company name to see a long list of films, some are new but many are old.

Note that some of the companies also have large files of old TV shows too.

What we need to do is look through these lists of Paramount and Universal films from the 1930s-50s, under the heading of Production Company and Distributor, and find titles that are NOT available for theater, home, or TV showing, and then contact both companies and ask for them to make them available on DVD or Blue-Ray.

Apparently the companies think these "unknown" films would not sell many DVD copies.

Click on each company name to see a long list of films, some are new but many are old.

The programmers should be pushing for this.

I am working on an extensive project in my spare time and therefore might be able to provide some input rather easily here.  Do you see a place somewhere that indicates "NOT available for theater, home, or TV showing"?  In particular anywhere on IMDB or any other website?

What reason did TCM ever give, if indeed they DID ever give one?

Sepiatone

I don't believe TCM ever gave a reason for this. I remember when word was going around that TCM had some kind of deal with Universal to lease their films (both their Universal and pre 1948 Paramount films). This was around five years ago. I was very hopeful that TCM would begin showing some of these rare films but other than a trickle of movies here and there it seemed like the deal fizzled.

When viewers asked about what had happened they were told (by other viewers via this forum) that it was probably taking Universal longer to get these old films into digital format. But all the fanfare about this deal died down and I've never heard anything from the TCM programmers as to what happened.

I see that WC Fields made several classic films at Paramount.

I haven't seen these films since I saw them at a major WC Fields film festival at a large theater in Berkeley in the late 1960s.

The prints were high quality 35 mm, and they showed just about every film Fields made.

I've seen only a couple of Fields films on TCM, and I wonder what happened to all the rest of them? Paramount or some distributor had high quality prints of all of them back in the 1960s. Films such as TILLIE AND GUS, POPPY, THE OLD FASHIONED WAY, THE INTERNATIONAL HOUSE with a lot of other stars such as Cab Calloway, MILLION DOLLAR LEGS, MY LITTLE CHICKADEE, THE BIG BROADCAST OF 1938, SIX OF A KIND, YOU'RE TELLING ME, IT'S A GIFT, YOU CAN'T CHEAT AN HONEST MAN, and shorts like THE BARBER SHOP, THE DENTIST, and THE FATAL GLASS OF BEER,

A local newspaper article at the time said most of these were very rare and were being distributed around the country together in sort of an "experimental" manner. A similar thing was done at about the same time by a guy who collected a lot of rare Buster Keaton films and toured them around the country to have local Keaton film festivals at local theaters.

Which two? I know that I've seen THE BANK DICK, IT'S A GIFT, and (I believe) MY LITTLE CHICKADEE on TCM.

Which two? I know that I've seen THE BANK DICK, IT'S A GIFT, and (I believe) MY LITTLE CHICKADEE on TCM.

I think TCM also aired POPPY maybe 10 years ago, although it might have been old AMC or some other channel.

I think old AMC aired several in the 1980s

TCM also aired ITS A GIFT once or twice and THE BIG BROADCAST OF 1938.

I am working on an extensive project in my spare time and therefore might be able to provide some input rather easily here.  Do you see a place somewhere that indicates "NOT available for theater, home, or TV showing"?  In particular anywhere on IMDB or any other website?

I haven't noticed anything in writing about what is not available.

Look at how Universal stores their old films in a warehouse.... not in a vault, just in a big building:

universal_fire.jpg

universal-fire-5.jpg

kongonfire_195.jpg

I looked thru my notes and counted nine W.C. Fields films which TCM has shown. They are:  My Little Chickadee, It's A Gift, Never Give A Sucker An Even Break, If I Had A Million, Her Majesty Love, The Bank Dick, The Big Broadcast Of 1938, David Copperfield and

The Bank Dick. TCM also showed the silent short "The Pool Shark" from 1915 at one time.

Universal has issued two W.C. Fields Comedy Collections (I own both). Any Fields fan worth his salt should purchase them. Now what about all those B-movies starring Evelyn Ankers, Anne Gwynne, Anne Nagel, Elyse Knox, Peggy Moran, Patric Knowles, Robert Paige, Alan Curtis, Hugh Herbert and Olsen & Johnson?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings