Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

the mad scrounger strikes!

NipkowDisc

found a discarded lamp tonite I did. looks like one of them old turn of the century lamps it do. like in the Day household.  it's got a metal pedestal and a white glass bell-shaped base with a pink floral design. above that a kinda metal sub-base for the upper socket assembly with a round metal band bracket extending outward that a white glass shade with another pink floral design rests upon. there's a low watt (7) lamp inside the lower white glass base which lights as well as the 60-watt bulb I put in the upper socket. it's real nice. the switch is a metal key-like projection sticking out of the upper socket sub-base. real antique-looking it be. :D

Half of my income results from repurposing/rehabbing/recycling cast offs.

This past week I scored a home made light table for: 

A. viewing negatives (what are those?) B. exposing screens for t-shirt printing and C. exposing photographic emulsion paper for "contact" prints.

Retro fun!

It helps to live in an inner city neighborhood with older people. When they move on their kids don't want any of that old "junk". I can bet their kids live in McMansions on suburban tracts.

• Like 1

I used old radio chassis and parts to build some of my projects.

This is MY version of the Ocean Hopper regenerative receiver using items from a Heathkit GR-81.

28a3uao.jpg

Another regenerative receiver

2hgx1c7.jpg

that upper pic be my new wallpaper.:) doan know how old this old lamp I found be. perhaps a reproduction of an old lamp design it be. metal's pretty tarnished. no plastic just metal and glass so maybe 30 or 40 years-old.

Y'know, every time I throw away an OATMEAL box( you know....those big TUBULAR cardboard things?), I think of how my DAD said he and his brothers and buddies would scrounge them out and make CRYSTAL RADIOS out of 'em!

Have NO idea how to do that, myself, but I found it intriguing.  MY brother used to have a crystal radio he made from a KIT he got at a TOY STORE back in the late '50's!  I thought it was kinda COOL!  A radio you DIDN'T have to plug into the wall!

I've always admired, to a point, the ability to work, fix and/or construct electronic stuff like that.

Incidentally, to an electronics "illiterate" like me, a "regenerative" reciever sounds like something you'd hear mentioned in an old 1950's HORROR movie!   :0

Sepiatone

Y'know, every time I throw away an OATMEAL box( you know....those big TUBULAR cardboard things?), I think of how my DAD said he and his brothers and buddies would scrounge them out and make CRYSTAL RADIOS out of 'em!

Have NO idea how to do that, myself, but I found it intriguing.  MY brother used to have a crystal radio he made from a KIT he got at a TOY STORE back in the late '50's!  I thought it was kinda COOL!  A radio you DIDN'T have to plug into the wall!

I've always admired, to a point, the ability to work, fix and/or construct electronic stuff like that.

Sepiatone

The oatmeal boxes are used to make crystal radio sets - the most simple receiver period.  The secret for proper reception is a wire antenna 100+ feet long, a good Earth ground and a crystal earpiece. If you have a local AM radio station then a shorter version is all that's needed, take notice such stations will drown out distance stations.

This has been done since the early 20th Century.  Here are a couple examples and wiring diagrams.

"Cat whisker" receiver

antiqueoatbox.jpg

Modern version using a diode.

ob1b-new.gif

Diagram instructions 

oatboxcomp3.gif

Standard SWL wire antenna kit from Radio Shack.

511xoQ0a3fL._SY300_.jpg

That is SO COOL hamradio! Like Sepia, I'd watch my older brother build stuff like that-our eldest brother was a manager of Radio Shack-and we often got cast offs to play with.

I love listening to the radio but sadly, there's scant few good stations. Mostly NPR and a jazz and classical stations are all I can stomach. Remember the lovely days when you could hear new pop music on the radio? Or better yet, discover a new artist on a college radio station?

I suppose the new digital stations can introduce you to music that's at least new to you. But I don't know, I miss the whole disc jockey "personality" thing. Funny, AMERICAN GRAFFITI depicted this era just as it started to leave us.

I think I've finally figured out what's going on with NDisc's deliberately poor writing.....he's trying to sound like a PIRATE! Arrrr, matey!

My bother's "crystal" radio was a plastic job that LOOKED like an average table radio, and one just "snapped in" the components to make it work.  It WAS made for kids, after all, and no one needed any electrical or electronics training or knowledge to be able to put it together.  And, since we had our bedroom upstairs, and the WINDOW FRAMES had plenty of METAL to snap that alligator clip to, it was E-Z PEEZY! 

THAT'S when I learned that AM stations from FAR AWAY can be picked up in the "wee hours", as I used to "sneak" his radio out of hiding while he was asleep and listen to it until I felt myself starting to doze, then I'd put it away and fnally get my a s s to bed!  AND be all "bleary-eyed" in SCHOOL all next day!

I'd spend HOURS listening to some "blues" station out of Chicago( and I lived near Detroit!), and was INTO that music LONG before MOST of the white kids I grew up with were!  At first, though, I thought it all was just some OTHER type of "rock'n'roll" music!  :D

The FURTHEST station I picked up was from some place called "Vancouver"!

Sepiatone

My bother's "crystal" radio was a plastic job that LOOKED like an average table radio, and one just "snapped in" the components to make it work.  It WAS made for kids, after all, and no one needed any electrical or electronics training or knowledge to be able to put it together.  And, since we had our bedroom upstairs, and the WINDOW FRAMES had plenty of METAL to snap that alligator clip to, it was E-Z PEEZY! 

THAT'S when I learned that AM stations from FAR AWAY can be picked up in the "wee hours", as I used to "sneak" his radio out of hiding while he was asleep and listen to it until I felt myself starting to doze, then I'd put it away and fnally get my a s s to bed!  AND be all "bleary-eyed" in SCHOOL all next day!

I'd spend HOURS listening to some "blues" station out of Chicago( and I lived near Detroit!), and was INTO that music LONG before MOST of the white kids I grew up with were!  At first, though, I thought it all was just some OTHER type of "rock'n'roll" music!  :D

The FURTHEST station I picked up was from some place called "Vancouver"!

Sepiatone

those were the wonder years of the 40s, 50s and 60s.where space cadetism is born spurred by the inspiration of sci-fi pulp. :)

those were the wonder years of the 40s, 50s and 60s.where space cadetism is born spurred by the inspiration of sci-fi pulp.

Great observation! 

As children growing up in the 60's whose Dad worked for GD in Orlando, both my brother & I were enthralled with the space program. Neither of us were exposed to "sci-fi pulp" because the reality was far more wonderous.

My brother became an astrophysicist, while I turned out to be the space cadet. Arrrr.

those were the wonder years of the 40s, 50s and 60s.where space cadetism is born spurred by the inspiration of sci-fi pulp. :)

AKK!  I'm NOT that old!  Let's just start at the '50's!

Anyway, "space cadetism" has NOTHING to do with Sci-Fi books! 

More like "Better life through CHEMISTRY!"  :D

But I would say that rampant interest in anything "space-age", even books about space travel, and/or movies involving the same, really took off with the advent of the Mercury program.  THEN, it all seemed so POSSIBLE!

Sepiatone

I found a relic of a bygone age. It was clearly once grand and glorious and highly sought, but the years had robbed it of its luster. The covering of its top had become sparse and pale. Its extensions no longer moved freely. A deep patina caused by weathering and overuse had replaced its once-brilliant gleam.

I am happy to say that it cleaned up so nicely that I found it suitable to marry him!

:)

• Like 1

I have a question for you two techie audiophiles- ham & nip.....

My grandmother never threw away ANYTHING- I mean, her first TV from the 50's is still up in the attic. I found this weird thing- a phonograph without the speaker, apparently you are supposed to hook up a radio to use as a speaker. Note the audio jack sticking out top right-

westinghouse.jpg

The back:

westinghouse2.jpg

I already have a great vintage Sony turntable and restored cabinet radio, so have no need for this but hate the idea of throwing it away.  

Are audiophiles interested in this sort of project? If you think so, I'll post it on the internet. What do I call it?

I have a question for you two techie audiophiles- ham & nip.....

My grandmother never threw away ANYTHING- I mean, her first TV from the 50's is still up in the attic. I found this weird thing- a phonograph without the speaker, apparently you are supposed to hook up a radio to use as a speaker. Note the audio jack sticking out top right-

westinghouse.jpg

I already have a great vintage Sony turntable and restored cabinet radio, so have no need for this but hate the idea of throwing it away.  

Are audiophiles interested in this sort of project? If you think so, I'll post it on the internet. What do I call it?

Is that a wireless phonograph?  If so, place near any AM radio and tune the dial until you pick up its signal. You may need to make the cable a couple of feet longer.

So happens, I just built a wireless broadcaster last month based on the Zenith 1930 S-7000

2myw0hf.jpg

Is that a wireless phonograph?  If so, place near any AM radio and tune the dial until you pick up its signal. You may need to make the cable a couple of feet longer.

I have already hooked it up to a radio via the jack and it works. I think the radio used to fit right into that shelf, but is gone now. But do you think anyone would be interested in the phonograph? I'd pretty much give it to someone who could use it.

What the heck do you use a "wireless broadcaster" for? Why did you build it?

I'm pretty amazed by "techhies" and what they can do. I wish way back when I had built a theremin for myself from one of those Tandy kits. Instead, I was lucky enough to have met Bob Moog many moons ago and bought one from him. I never thought he wouldn't be around long, and wish I had him sign mine. Heck, I wish someone had taken our picture.

I have already hooked it up to a radio via the jack and it works. I think the radio used to fit right into that shelf, but is gone now. But do you think anyone would be interested in the phonograph? I'd pretty much give it to someone who could use it.

What the heck do you use a "wireless broadcaster" for? Why did you build it?

I'm pretty amazed by "techhies" and what they can do. I wish way back when I had built a theremin for myself from one of those Tandy kits. Instead, I was lucky enough to have met Bob Moog many moons ago and bought one from him. I never thought he wouldn't be around long, and wish I had him sign mine. Heck, I wish someone had taken our picture.

You can use the stand alone device to play music or whatever from any radio.  It's a bit fun and the reason why college campuses has small broadcasters.  Some of these little transmitters goes for big bucks, especially the Knight Kit which sells for $170.00+ on Ebay already assembled.  I hate to think what an unbuilt one fetches!  :o

http://www.knightkit.com/

DSC01487.JPG

This broadcaster is based on the Zenith, very neat how he kept the nostalgic look. 

37PhonoOsc.jpg

37PhonoOsc.gif

Here are other examples of wireless phonographs.

42_rp_1_wireless_record_player_498599.jp

nalw8.jpg